U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM

614 posts, read 518,403 times
What was a fatal mistake about moving the HQ? Are they supposed to keep two HQs? That would be pretty stupid.

United's operations in Chicago are much larger than the operations in Houston. It made perfect sense to consolidate everything in Chicago. People need to get past the emotions of United pulling people out of Houston. It is business, it happens. There were no emotions involved, it was purely a business decision.

Apart from that I generally agree about Hobby as an international airport. Way too much emphasis is being placed on the word "international". My parents live in Myrtle Beach, there are occasional flights in from Canada requiring a small immigration and customs presence. As a result, the airport is called Myrtle Beach International. There is nothing international about it. Hobby will have the typical smallish Southwest planes buzzing down to Latin America/Caribbean. There won't be jumbo jets flying off to Europe, Asia, etc. as is the case with IAH. IAH will remain the dominant airport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

5,309 posts, read 8,852,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Hopefully Hobby will be closed and everything moved to the new Dr. Donald Hull--Fort Bend County International Airport.
Again, I assume you are talking about Sugar Land Regional, I've never heard it called that other name.

That move is doubtful. Not much room to expand, too many neighborhoods and residents nearby. Telfair is right there south of it in the flight path and would probably throw a fit. Cullinan Park is protected, so where would it expand?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM

3,136 posts, read 5,053,223 times
Actually their biggest hub is in Houston, not Chicago.

I wouldn't say the HQ move was fatal -- even if the new international terminal at Hobby is built, it will still have the Houston hub -- but it did erode the good will and loyalty that Houstonians had towards Pre-Merger Continental (PMCO).

When two U.S. companies merge, we do expect one HQ to go. The State of Illinois threw incentives to get the company HQ to be in Chicago. Also I heard that the Pre-Merger United (PMUA) may have insisted that the merged HQ be in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
What was a fatal mistake about moving the HQ? Are they supposed to keep two HQs? That would be pretty stupid.

United's operations in Chicago are much larger than the operations in Houston. It made perfect sense to consolidate everything in Chicago. People need to get past the emotions of United pulling people out of Houston. It is business, it happens. There were no emotions involved, it was purely a business decision.

Apart from that I generally agree about Hobby as an international airport. Way too much emphasis is being placed on the word "international". My parents live in Myrtle Beach, there are occasional flights in from Canada requiring a small immigration and customs presence. As a result, the airport is called Myrtle Beach International. There is nothing international about it. Hobby will have the typical smallish Southwest planes buzzing down to Latin America/Caribbean. There won't be jumbo jets flying off to Europe, Asia, etc. as is the case with IAH. IAH will remain the dominant airport
They closed the Central Unit prison, AK. All they need to do is redevelop the prison territory. It closed so the airport can expand.

See this aerial view of the prison territory: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Centra...Texas&t=h&z=15 - The bit bounded by US90, the airport runway, Highway 6, and the airport itself is also prison territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Again, I assume you are talking about Sugar Land Regional, I've never heard it called that other name.

That move is doubtful. Not much room to expand, too many neighborhoods and residents nearby. Telfair is right there south of it in the flight path and would probably throw a fit. Cullinan Park is protected, so where would it expand?

Last edited by Vicman; 04-11-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,885,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Hopefully Hobby will be closed and everything moved to the new Dr. Donald Hull--Fort Bend County International Airport. Maybe Philippine Airlines will offer direct flights to Manila to attract SW Houston's Filipinos?

But in all seriousness there needs to be an airport accessible to the majority of Houstonians! IAH is too far to the north and Hobby is too small and too far east.
Don't waste your time dreaming. SWA is willing to put $100 million into customs and terminal expansion in Hobby but not the billion dollars to rebuild an airport with baggage handling facilities, repair and maintenance hangars, parking garage, etc. And the COH isn't about to spend it. The only reason Southwest's proposal is being considered is because it won't cost the city a dime.

All of United's arguments that are phony about Hobby would be legitimate about Sugarland.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM

5,512 posts, read 7,347,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Who says I do care? I'm just commenting generally anyway and to be fair, I think most have gotten over it. I'm not the only that has noticed the attitude on here and on other forums. Besides, ask Tulsans how they felt after Citgo moved from there, (which was the hometown company of Citgo) to Houston. I still remember the teeth gnashing and contempt they had for Houston and Citgo on Tulsanow.
Will there now be teeth gnashing and contempt in Toronto?
Energy company moving HQ to Houston | Houston Politics | a Chron.com blog

Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,022,930 times
The merger between United and Continental must have made sense... but the calculation that HQ in Chicago is a smart move will be proven wrong over the long run. I have no clue why they put the HQ there other than compromise and it was a mistake. Continental was the more successful ariline of the two....but United was a bigger legacy carrier. Legacy means the past... we live in the beginning of the future.....

Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM

328 posts, read 768,617 times
Agreed. I think United will move its HQ to houston by 2018 (earlier if chicago guy lose next election). The management is (allmost) all continental now...

Yes, they should have kept the Continental name as its known for good service. But, I read, United name was chosen as its more 'known' (infamous?) globally ? How many americans heard about, Emirates Airline 10 years back..or Qatar airways..But, they are now the favorite airline for many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The merger between United and Continental must have made sense... but the calculation that HQ in Chicago is a smart move will be proven wrong over the long run. I have no clue why they put the HQ there other than compromise and it was a mistake. Continental was the more successful ariline of the two....but United was a bigger legacy carrier. Legacy means the past... we live in the beginning of the future.....

Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,880,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post

All of United's arguments that are phony about Hobby would be legitimate about Sugarland.
You think United's arguments are Phoney, Lufthansa is even worse.

Lufthansa a “nein” on Hobby going international | Houston Politics | a Chron.com blog

Quote:
we fear that any dilution of flow traffic through IAH will have a negative impact on our ability to sustain this service over the long term.
I can see SW dinging United a lil, but Lufthansa??? that is ridiculous.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,642,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Don't waste your time dreaming. SWA is willing to put $100 million into customs and terminal expansion in Hobby but not the billion dollars to rebuild an airport with baggage handling facilities, repair and maintenance hangars, parking garage, etc.
Why would they waste money to fix up a small aging decrepit airport when the capital can be better used to build a new bigger airport from scratch? Sometimes renovations cost more than building new!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 AM

8,968 posts, read 8,393,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You think United's arguments are Phoney, Lufthansa is even worse.

Lufthansa a “nein” on Hobby going international | Houston Politics | a Chron.com blog

I can see SW dinging United a lil, but Lufthansa??? that is ridiculous.
Just a Star Alliance member taking United's side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston