Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,727,696 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, what kinds of cool things have you guys found to do around here or a reasonably short drive away (less than 2 hours)? Just trying to entertain myself...Already been to Kemah (I was surprisingly bored--but maybe because it was a weekday), Galveston beach (haven't been to Moody Gardens--is that place fun for adults?), Discovery Green, Rothko, seen the Menil collection, the main history museum, Rice Village, NASA, etc.

What are some other cool areas (other than Rice Village) for shopping in independent stores? Or interesting neighborhoods to explore. Local attractions. Or daytrips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
The Natural History museum is nice, as is Herrmann park. You can get out to some of the Lakes for a nice afternoon. Go down to Brazos Bend and see some alligators. Throw some water balloons at the hobos... lots of good times.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
You could go to a game at Minute Maid Park.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
the best website for literally every thing arts related going on in Houston area is artshound It's also a searchable database for every thing from small concerts to art shows to local and big production theater. It also has community meet ups for interests.

19th street in the heights is pretty happening to stroll through shops. They also do first fridays. Houston is more of a circle of friends type city if you're looking for weekend fun. Find a community to plug in to and you'll never be bored whether it's church, political, volunteer groups, etc... this is a city of friends.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM

385 posts, read 967,711 times
Bayou Hike and Bike trails.
explore the downtown tunnels.
View from top of the San Jacinto monument. refinery madness.
view from 60th floor of the JPMorgan Chase tower on travis.beautiful.
free ship channel boat tour
kayak on buffalo bayou

explore the Heights, Montrose, Eastwood,Eado,Midtown

Go watch the Bats at the Waugh street bridge.

also meetup.com has some interesting groups in the Houston area, including one that does historic Houston walking tours.

Downtown Houston

Arts, Culture & Entertainment Events in Houston, Texas | ArtsHound.com

Photos: 33 things to do in Houston for $2 or less | khou.com Houston

Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Glaveston & Brazos Bend State Park

Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM

366 posts, read 797,046 times
i'd highly recommend Brazos Bend. Bike, hike, or/and camp. Cool to see gators out in the open and other wildlife. Plus, the George R. Brown observatory is at the park and very cool to see stars and planets.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:27 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
The new Galveston Pleasure Pier will be opening some time this summer. Same guys who made the Kemah Boardwalk. I've seen the progress of this massive undertaking, and I'm seriously stoked about it's grand opening.

Link: Pleasure-Pier: A world-class amusement park is on its way to the Seawall!

You can also visit their FB page here to keep on track with their build-out: Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier - Attractions/Things to Do - Galveston, TX | Facebook

Another fun thing to do (that I enjoy doing) is attending conventions. There's usually a convention for almost anything, so I'm sure there's something in the Houston area that should tickle your fancy. I'm about to sign up for the Comicpalooza convention in May...had a blast last year.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM

37 posts, read 83,483 times
My wife and I enjoy going to the theatre. There's a couple of them around town and they are all very nice. just type in houston theatre into a search engine and you'll see what currently playing.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM

169 posts, read 449,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
What are some other cool areas (other than Rice Village) for shopping in independent stores?
Old Town Spring might interest you if you're looking for small stores that are independently owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston