Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM

43 posts, read 88,883 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Wanted to find more info on old historic league city area. we are from san diego so don't know much about houston at all as we've never been here. We're in Houston now house hunting and I looked at a home in the old historic part of league city and I thought the area was charming. it seemed to have more character than the other homes we looked at in the master planned communities in the area (west over park, tuscan lakes, and south shores). the home we looked at is brand new (built in 2009 but no one has lived there, model home) but all the homes in the neighborhood are 100 years old that seemed restored. they were beautiful! Our realtor told me that she didn't know anyone who wanted to live in that area so she'd never been to that particular subdivision. I asked her why no one wanted to live there, was it lower class or something? and she said because they are different. I did notice the historic stretch was nice but surrounding on the same road (Main St.) were fast food joints and some not so nice businesses.

Thoughts about the area?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Don't know why she was steering you away, she probably has some personal incentive she isn't telling you, but that is a pleasant neighborhood. It's not a bad area - there currently are no bad neighborhoods in League City, but there are a few run down, dumpy houses and an empty apartment building in that particular area you searched. They have community events at that park near the railroad station so you could be within walking distance for family festivities. It's common to see weddings in the park on the other side of Main Street across from the church. I didn't know they had newer homes back there.

That stretch of main street gets heavy traffic around 5pm for a road it's size.

I actually considered looking at houses there, but the gf vetoed it because she liked the master planned communities. After watching some other older neighborhoods decline in Clear Lake, I learned to agree with her on that point.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 04-10-2012 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM

43 posts, read 88,883 times
hi, thanks for the response. here is the link to the actual home i'm looking at:

605 Brunswick Dr, League City, TX 77573 - HAR.com

Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
I grew up in the Clear Lake area and downtown League City is nice with a few run down apartment complexes. It's safe and LC cops are pretty abundant in that area since it's a speed trap there on 518.

There are concerts in the park right there on 518 at the railroad tracks, historic train station. There's also Helen's Garden right there across 518, it's a beautiful park and I've attended several outdoor weddings there. You're close to a lot in that area. The Helen Hall library is just down Old Galveston (Hwy. 3) and is a really nice facility with activities for the family.

If you're looking for historic and have more money to spend you could try cities closer to the bay like old seabrook. I'd avoid old Kemah as it's a major tourist attraction with the restaurants and theme park on the bay.

The Clear Lake area is a great place to grow up, an easy place to make friends and a collection of small towns that offer just about anything you'd want in terms of entertainment, religion, activities. You're 30 mins from the beaches of Galveston (though not at all comparable to san diego's beaches), 40 minutes to downtown Houston without traffic, and Baybrook mall has come a long way since I was a kid in the 90s.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM

220 posts, read 335,683 times
I was just at Walter Hall Park, on the north side of League City, this morning, enjoying the weather. The L.C. police were out patrolling on Hwy 3, so I can confirm the "abundance." Yes, the older houses look nice and it's great to see the old oak trees all around the area. I'd check the flood maps since some areas are pretty close to Clear Creek.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I wouldn't hesitate to live in LC's historic district. It's all good.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGl View Post
I was just at Walter Hall Park, on the north side of League City, this morning, enjoying the weather. The L.C. police were out patrolling on Hwy 3, so I can confirm the "abundance." Yes, the older houses look nice and it's great to see the old oak trees all around the area. I'd check the flood maps since some areas are pretty close to Clear Creek.
Yes! That area used to flood REALLY badly. I remember they had that road looping from 518 to the north and paralleling it to the 45 northbound service road. It took more than a decade before they could build anything along there, now it has apartments so I assume they somewhat fixed the issues around there. It used to flood very easily. I think the old LC neighborhood is a little higher, but floods are always a huge concern in LC and Dickinson.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM

220 posts, read 335,683 times
I think you are correct about the old LC area but I'd check just to be sure. It's a cool area and everything is growing around it so if someone was interested in an older LC house, it could be a "win win" situation. I've been down here for almost 40 years and have been surprised by how much things have grown over the past few years. The Houston metro on the southeast side has really been building out to Dickinson. Won't be long before it'll max out to north of Galveston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston