U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,332,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Then again, what major southern city is? Houston can get there, but as it was stated earlier, marketing is the first step it needs to take.
Miami.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM

448 posts, read 260,684 times
A lot of interesting comments here. Anyway, I've come to think that Houston should just focus on being the best that it can be as a place to live, not trying to promote itself as a tourist destination.

The problem in doing that is that there is not a clear consensus amongst the voting public here as to whether the city should (1) tax us for civic improvement projects or (2) be able to tell owners what they can do with their property.

As a native Houstonian, it's interesting to me to observe how different the populations of Dallas and Houston have been, despite the reputation (perhaps out of date) of Dallas being much more conservative.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 PM

10,197 posts, read 10,308,032 times
What's the difference between being a tourist city and a fun city?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 PM

706 posts, read 603,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post

Houston has had a theme park before and it never really drew much of a crowd from outside of the state anyway.
six flags? why did they end up closing it? last i heard, the one in chicago was the most profitable six flags in the country. which is odd considering the weather there not considered "ideal". but you'd see people there in 45-95 degree weather enjoying the place. seems like houston has more months where a six flags (or other outdoor theme park) could be enjoyed.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM

448 posts, read 260,684 times
In an ideal world, I think Houston could host a great theme park that would draw people from all over, despite not having San-Diego weather all year. Unfortunately, we are also the Rodney Daingerfield of cities ... i.e., people elsewhere are conditioned to "give us no respect at all". Unfortunately, human beings are creatures of habit especially when they don't really know anything contrary to the prevailing dogma.

P.S. I think Rodney was great, even if he didn't know he was characterizing Houston much more than himself when he said that!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM

676 posts, read 715,905 times
The only time im bored here is when I'm to lazy to drive. Same thing with Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix etc. Houston is the same (if not better) than other cities, like all the posts above have stated all it needs is a theme park. I think the lack of marketing is why it made the list, but it's defiantly not a boring city.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 04-14-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM

1,473 posts, read 920,370 times
Boring is anybody who can not step out of their comfort zone. Now as soon as you say something like that people assume you have never been out of Houston, I find Houston has tons to do, so much so if I tried to do them all I would go broke... I have done the club scenes on a international level at that, got wasted in hong kong, London is a blur, etc. So I have noticed that most people are limited in their idea of what a good time is(normally a bar or club) trust me after years of doing that on a gobal scale it all starts to look the same. Now I find myself seeking out whats uniuqe about a city or town. For Houston its kayaking on the bayou or if I want to listen to a certian genre of music there are plenty of places for just about any of them. I cant think of a single month where there is not at least one big name music act in town or hell local talent preforming at some club(I might have to travel abit thou) ,if I suddenly want tai, chinese ,russain, french etc. The only draw back is the lack of mass tranist which really screws with my getting wasted ..lol

Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 PM

298 posts, read 233,433 times
Houston doesn't respect itself and won't lift up the good stuff. Won't organize
anything to bring in extra outside revenue from the tourist. We are seeing change slowly and one day Houston will think like a city.....Chicago was looked down on by the whole country
and world during the mid century....now a thriving tourist industry that has funded much of the cities wonderful attributes that its citizens can enjoy....bonds backed by visitor taxes.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 PM

10,197 posts, read 10,308,032 times
Well, what's the difference between Houston, DFW, and Atlanta in this regard?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:48 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,537,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Miami.
If Miami weren't in a world famous location, it wouldn't be what it is. South Florida is known for its beaches, the nightlife, and its drug culture. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston