Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times

Advertisements

Here in the 'historic' Heights, older houses and trees being replaced by oversized mcmansions filled with people who just don't care. These are people who paid three quarters of a million dollars to live 2.5 feet (or less) from our property line and five feet away from the other house built on the same lot. They have removed a limb from our pecan tree and have painted our fence, so far. What's next? Isn't it bad enough we've gone through two years of construction hell, completely lost our privacy (you can see straight into our yard and pool from their windows) and now their dog craps on our lawn! Is it legal for them to paint our fence without asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 12:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Buy them out, level their McM and have a bigger yard

Seriously, I really don't know what to say other than this trend continuing in the Heights and other areas in Houston with legitimate history.

If I had the $$$ I'd be buying one of the Victorians in the Old Sixth Ward and fixing it up - trying to get it as close to its original state as possible. Nobody wants to do stuff like that anymore.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
It is so depressing. I feel for you. My sister had a little bungalow on W. Clay near the River Oaks Shopping Center and back in the late 90s some idiot bought the one next door, built some townhomes, and you could see right into her backyard and into the windows of her house from their ginormous 3-story monstrosity. There was NO privacy whatsoever. She finally moved.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,511 times
What happened to maintaining the historic look Is there no zoning or deed restrictions in place for that neighborhood? If not, that's too bad. Like the other poster said, I would love to purchase one of the older victorian properties, restore it while maintaining the original integrity of the property If only I had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 09-15-2007, 06:37 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
As for the fence, get your property surveyed to be sure it is YOUR fence (not on the property line but a few inches in). If it is YOUR fence on your property then they tresspassed and damaged your property and you can sue them for damages (get an estimate to repair). You might be able to sue them anyway if you are the one that installed the fence (consult an attorney on this one). If you determine it is your fence, write them a certified letter saying that you want the fence restored to its original condition and give them a time limit then sue in the appropriate court (small claims is $10,000 as of Sept 1st).
They can legally trim the tree to the property line so long as it does not kill the tree from what I understand. Again, get a survey. It is important to know where your lines are.
As for constuction, the city has required setbacks but folks can appeal, the time to fight that is when they are getting their permits. All of the city ordinances are on-line. It is good to read them once in a while. Have been researching them myself since someone actually moved a mobile home into my mom's neighborhood (absolute No No on deed restrictions and city ordinances).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: