Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
What do you mean by "The Houston job market is good for a very specific group"? What is that specific group?
Medical and energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 AM

103 posts, read 270,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Medical and energy.
Thanks. Good to know.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,465 times
Well, one specific group would be registered nurses....

Old 04-23-2012, 02:42 PM

131 posts, read 520,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Medical and energy.
But both hospitals and oil companies still need accountants and IT professionals.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,020 times
My sister spent about a 6-7 months looking for an accounting job in Houston. She was about to give up when she started with Account Temps and then the company (Stewart Title) officially hired her after 3-4months. It's not the job she wanted, but it's flexible and easy enough it allows time to keep looking for other jobs. She interviewed at Westin and Hilton hotels but they pay they offer is low compared to what she does now. She's overqualified for her current job. She's very surprised a lot of her co-workers who do accounting work don't even have a degree in accounting and are often making mistakes. Her boss is happy so she's looking forward for some sort of bonus or promotion when the time is right.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlan View Post
But both hospitals and oil companies still need accountants and IT professionals.
I would think they need fewer of those than nurses.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,675 times
Houston market is booming. It should not be that hard to land a job.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 PM

15 posts, read 26,664 times
I am currently studying for my bachelors in accounting and am thinking of relocating to Houston. Have you tried Wells Fargo? I was looking on their website today and they have a program for undergraduates or graduates looking to break into the financial industry. I have seen a few negative comments but don't give up. Regardless of what is said, accounting is an in demand field. You just need the right opportunity. Anywho, check out Wells Fargo in the meantime.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 AM

834 posts, read 773,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlan View Post
Hi, I graduated in 2010 with an accounting degree, been working in I.T. since 2011, just moved to Austin, TX recently, but am looking to move to Houston, TX.

Been looking around through indeed.com and staffing agencies for 1 month now, but still nothing yet. Hiring managers still have no decisions. Am I doing something wrong? Where is that rosy picture of job market in Houston?
Send me a PM, and I'll give you a recommendation for a way above everyone else business staffing company.

You mentioned hospital accounting. In general, all their accounting is done at corporate locations outside Houston. You best bet are clinics and large Doctor partnership groups.

And unlike others, I'll tell you to move to Houston now. I know when I look over resumes, out of town ones go to the bottom of the stack. Its just too much of a hassle to work with, unless they have special skills.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM

103 posts, read 270,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Send me a PM, and I'll give you a recommendation for a way above everyone else business staffing company.

You mentioned hospital accounting. In general, all their accounting is done at corporate locations outside Houston. You best bet are clinics and large Doctor partnership groups.

And unlike others, I'll tell you to move to Houston now. I know when I look over resumes, out of town ones go to the bottom of the stack. Its just too much of a hassle to work with, unless they have special skills.
Austin is not far away from Houston. I think her staying in Austin is fine. She can go to houston for interview and then come back to austin within one day. If they are big companies, they won't care about relocation too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: