Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want to live there. These people aren't near free as we are in America (despite Obama, Bush and rest of the Bankster-establishment puppets)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 AM

168 posts, read 470,216 times
The UAE is going bankrupt. They are trying to build infrastructure to attract foreign residents. Clearly it isn’t working though since something like 80% of Dubai alone is vacant.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:44 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
The numbers I have seen are 30% vacancy levels. In addition to that, many apartments are owned by people who do not reside in Dubai and are only rarely there (Russians in particular).

In any case, UAE is not going bankrupt, Dubai is (actually has been bailed out once already). Dubai's problem is they don't have much oil and gas. Most of it is in Abu Dhabi.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM

117 posts, read 229,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
The numbers I have seen are 30% vacancy levels. In addition to that, many apartments are owned by people who do not reside in Dubai and are only rarely there (Russians in particular).

In any case, UAE is not going bankrupt, Dubai is (actually has been bailed out once already). Dubai's problem is they don't have much oil and gas. Most of it is in Abu Dhabi.
I wouldn't live in Abu Dhabi to save my life, it just seems so fake.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
When I lived in South America, I was always amazed by many things that they built in the city where I lived. It makes most OUR cities look third world. Plus, they are much more free there. US architecture has never really been that interesting anyway. It just isn't a priority here.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i suppose you believe america is the only country with regulations, regulators and bureaucracy
It may not be the only one, but it has one of the most. And like its compatriots in th the league of over regulated countries, it is being held behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The US is going to far down the road of "Let's do only what's profitable"
Most people think that investing in the future is not profitable.
Was gonna say that last night, but I forgot. Yeah I agree, why does everything have to be profitable or be profitable right away.

Can't the government do things for the enjoyment of residents more often?

Old 04-22-2012, 02:34 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
When I lived in South America, I was always amazed by many things that they built in the city where I lived. It makes most OUR cities look third world. Plus, they are much more free there. US architecture has never really been that interesting anyway. It just isn't a priority here.
Coming from South America the first things I noticed is (1) lack of public parks (2) lack of architectural freedom.
Seems like politicians don't care about providing public parks and rather sell the land to any developer.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
While on the net I can across a number of intresting projects from other nations, while Houston and other cities fight over rail expandsion and land use , other nations are buliding whole cities that look like something out of the 24th century http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masdar_City..which begs the question are American cities starting to fall behind,we cheer when ever anew sky scrappers are built , these guys are coming up with plans for whole new cities

The dis hearting part they are not just throwing up pics they are actually doing them Macar city and dozens of others already have building that are up, This is not to bash American cities this is to ask the question have we lost are edge, we use to push the envelope of designs , now I feel we just throw up building while impressive are far from ground breaking, NYC seems to be the only major US city still willing to go bold
Of course we've lost our edge. As countries like China, India, Brazil move more and more towards capitalism, we're moving away from it. Also the younger generations are lazy and have a entitlement mentality. They want everything easy and handed to them. Add on to that politicans who don't really do whats best for the country but pander to their political bases, thats what happens.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:21 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Coming from South America the first things I noticed is (1) lack of public parks (2) lack of architectural freedom.
Seems like politicians don't care about providing public parks and rather sell the land to any developer.
That varies city by city. Northern cities (not always) tend to be more well planned with parks, structure (for example Chicago's system of a perfect street grid with every 4th street being a major street), etc. They are older and more well established cities. Southern cities are much newer and have grown up very fast so tend to not have the same degree of planning, structure. You get a lot more sprawl, fewer parks, etc.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
We have so many major cities...how much more does anyone want? Texas has more major cities than most countries on this planet.

I think we're good.
No one is talking about building whole cities , we are talking about investing in bold projects something we use to do but backed away from over the last 30 years are so.I mmean really think about it when was the last time the US bulit something that really impressed,not just that city but the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston