Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,794 times

Advertisements

Ok, let's hear it.

What's the best restaurant in Houston where a person can get a meal and get out for less than $15?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 01:48 AM

52 posts, read 139,840 times
Kanomwan...best Thai food, EVER! Located in a shady area but well worth it and Zagat rated for years. It's a hidden gem. Try the PPK w/ chicken and the H1 with Beef.

If you're looking for more accessible restaurant, I like the Black Walnut...great all around food and just barely under $15 per person on average.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
There are places that charge over $15 a meal??????????????

Niko Niko's, Christian's Tailgate, Mi Pueblito, Caribbean Jerk Cuisine, Taco's del Julio, Theo's, Crespo's. I really only go to food trucks when I eat out though.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,269 times
Tortillerias La Reyna #5 off Gessner/Westpark. You can feed 2-3 people on the double rolled taco's there for under $15 total. Tortilla's are fresh off the press, crema (sour cream) is hand made and their salsa's really hit home. Best of all is their carnita's and barbacoa. I always ask for fresh lime, onion and cilantro to top the taco's off.

Dang...my mouth is watering.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times
Kelly's has the best county food in the area. Chicken fried chicken, chicken fried steak and their fried catfish is good..you will also be very satisfied with their portions. I always get the chichen fried steak with 3 sides my meal is always 10-11. The location I eat at is the one off I45 and Park Place. Its sooo good.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Kelly's has the best county food in the area. Chicken fried chicken, chicken fried steak and their fried catfish is good..you will also be very satisfied with their portions. I always get the chichen fried steak with 3 sides my meal is always 10-11. The location I eat at is the one off I45 and Park Place. Its sooo good.

Ohhh - I totally agree with this. Essential Southern home cooking and the pricing is awesome. Also, their Chicken fried steak fits on two plates

Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
I'll expand the question, and the answer will still be the same. "What's the best restaurant in Houston where a person can get a meal and get out for less than $100?"

Chuy's. I won't even listen to reasonable debate on this. I'm addicted, and I have a problem.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,573,598 times
59 Diner the Shepard & 59 location
El Rancharo North Brasewood & Chimney Rock
Old Hickory Inn South Brasewood & Chimney Rock
Loma Linda Telephone 4 blks west of 45
Happy Lamp South Brasewood & Hillcroft
Mambos
Skeeters
Wild Kitchen Stella Link between 610 & South Brasewood
Ques South Post Oak 1 blk south of West Bellfort
Roadster Grille Bissonnet & Bellaire
Bellaire Broiler Burger Bissonet & Bellaire
Pappa Genos west 18th & TC Jester
Spanish Flower North Main & Airline
Tonys Ella 4 blks south of north 610
Breakfest Klub Travis & West Alabama

Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
I don't cook, so I got this down. I am not particularly a fan of Kelly's though.

It isn't open for dinner, but the best diner style breakfast and great steam table lunch - City Cafe off Old Galveston Rd. Being in South Houston, they still have a smoking section, but there are plate glass windows between the two parts. CFS and a Cigarette - Page 1 - Dining - Houston - Houston Press

For those that like Kelly's, I would offer up Dot Diner as an alternative. The portions are still huge and they have some of the best cream gravy in town. Great breakfast, fried chicken, pot roast, etc. Blows 59 diner away.

If you are on the northside, Simo's on N. Shepherd is not bad for a steam table lunch or breakfast. Also The Texas Cafeteria , while a bit rough around the edges, has decent diner food style cheap eats.

Aladdin's at Westheimer and Montrose is one most people haven't thought about. They serve it buffet style and you can a meat and two sides for $9.99 or three sides for $10.99. It is very good and they have great warm pita bread. If you are unsure of the spice level or whatever, they will let you taste of sample of things before deciding.

Barnaby's is a good choice, with three locations in and around Montrose.
Good salads, some chicken dishes, hamburgers, etc.

Mandola's Deli is now open until 9:00 for dinner. Besides sandwiches, you can get things like chicken parmigiana & they also serve wine, (although that will bump you over the $15 mark).

Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post

On the other side of I-45 from Kelley's is Taqueria Del Sol, awesome Mexican food $10-11 as well. (Get the skirt steak.)

Between those two places, it makes that area heart attack alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston