Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster10154 View Post
I didn't say Houston is the best. I said people who live here and complain should just leave. If you live here, you can point out the pro and cons, of course...but just complaining all day is pointless. If a person is that unsatisfied here...why bother staying?
They may not have another option. I stay because my grand children are here.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Ridin dirty...

Quote:
People that live in Houston and complain about all the things they don't like about this city should just leave. Why do they continue to live in Houston while hating it so much?

Oh, that's right, the cost of living is GREAT in Houston! So this reason alone seems to outweigh all other reasons to not live in Houston...if it didn't, these people would've moved out already! In conclusion, you prefer Houston over any other place, since you still reside here.
They see me rolling, they hatin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXPxpMRGEU

Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 PM

308 posts, read 638,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Dubai is NOT part of Saudi Arabia. It is in the United Arab Emirates. It is actually one of the Emirates so it is its own country as well as being a city.

Note Dubai is not at all like Saudi Arabia or other middle eastern countries. You really need to understand that not all Muslim countries are the same. While it is certainly not perfect, the UAE is much freer than other countries in the area. The actual natives are wealthy and live well. Notice in the video, that the older woman wears the burka and the face covering, but the younger woman and the children do not. There are no Taliban in Dubai.

How Women Live in Dubai - Video - Oprah.com

Living in Dubai as a expat is an interesting adventure. There are good and bad things as in every city, but until you experience different cultures, you won't know much outside of our own.

BBC - Travel - Living in: Dubai : Living in..., Dubai

Jeez, read the post. I didn't come close to saying Dubai is the same as Saudia Arabia. I specifically said he could have "Saudi Arabia."

Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 PM

308 posts, read 638,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonisgreat View Post
You seem mad because I bring up topics that make you uncomfortable or that may have some truth to them...
No, not really. Your bile has absolutely no effect on my life or my outlook on life.

I deal and negotiate with people from all over Houston, from all cultures, on a daily basis. Not much makes me uncomfortable. The "can do" attitude of the people of Houston is amazing. I don't need your negativity.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:23 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
The question assumes that is the case. I don't think it is. Been here since 1991, love it, grew up in Detroit.

Ronnie

Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You selectively excluded cities. Houston isn't #2, it's #9.

Most Popular Cities: Detroit Nation's Least Popular, Seattle Best-Liked

Seattle
Portland
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Dallas
New York City
New Orleans
Houston
The article also says that Houston is the fattest city in America. I assume you want to include that as pure fact as well?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM

391 posts, read 922,837 times
Quote:
People that live in Houston and complain about all the things they don't like about this city should just leave. Why do they continue to live in Houston while hating it so much?

Oh, that's right, the cost of living is GREAT in Houston! So this reason alone seems to outweigh all other reasons to not live in Houston...if it didn't, these people would've moved out already! In conclusion, you prefer Houston over any other place, since you still reside here.

I would love it if people who complain about Houston would go back to where they came from! They probably won't because of exactly what you stated... the cost of living here is far better than any other major city in the USA! Houston is so different from any other major city as far as the people, atmosphere, food, weather... I absolutely love Houston and could never imagine living anywhere else

Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
I would love it if people who complain about Houston would go back to where they came from! They probably won't because of exactly what you stated... the cost of living here is far better than any other major city in the USA! Houston is so different from any other major city as far as the people, atmosphere, food, weather... I absolutely love Houston and could never imagine living anywhere else
The only problem with that is that there would be nobody left to run the companies and hospitals..............

Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 AM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
The only problem with that is that there would be nobody left to run the companies and hospitals..............
You are so right...what would the population of Houston be if we all had stayed away? How could it have been so wonderfully diverse if we would have all stayed away? How could it continue to boom if we would have all stayed away?

It has become so obvious...those born in Houston are Houston haters...they hate all the change that has come to this city and they hate people coming here and they hate the newcomers adding their ideas to how to continue growing in a positive and healthy manner.

It appears if one is born in Houston one would hate how diverse the city has become...hate the growth and prosperity people moving in have brought and hate Houston becoming a big city. It is so obvious....deep seated hate of Houston by them...thus their huge inferiority complex (the one and only thing I hate about Houston....).

Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Houston attracts people for economic reasons only. You are part of the cult.

The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.
I.Q., or intelligence quotient, is a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists.
Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study’s lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he toldLiveScience.
Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature “structure and order” that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. “Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice,” he added.
Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments.
I am aware of that study and probably better educated to discern it, or any psychological study for that matter, than you are, though I don't know your college background. But it still doesn't prove your original claim on the topic.

Quote:
Again, this is exactly what I speak of. You reject other peoples way of life in culture because YOU ASSUME that your life and ideology is correct,
Is that not what you're doing right now?

Quote:
that is simply not intelligent and non objective.
There's a difference between being insular and having morals. Are you trying to say we should just be an anything-goes society?

Quote:
Open your eyes, get out of the church and see all of the failures.
Maybe when you can deal with your own apparent prejudices and assumptions about certain groups, we can take you more seriously... you are doing the exact same thing that you complain about. In the meantime, if you cannot recognize your own hypocrisy with all of this... which you apparently can't... it's a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston