Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 AM

52 posts, read 139,840 times

Advertisements

People that live in Houston and complain about all the things they don't like about this city should just leave. Why do they continue to live in Houston while hating it so much?

Oh, that's right, the cost of living is GREAT in Houston! So this reason alone seems to outweigh all other reasons to not live in Houston...if it didn't, these people would've moved out already! In conclusion, you prefer Houston over any other place, since you still reside here.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times
I moved to Houston b/c I love hot weather, which I got it here. I don't hate Houston and intend to live here for a long time. I'd like to make it home.

What bothers me are people like you with the attitude that Houston is the best. Each city has pros and cons. Please be open minded when other people points out about the things that Houston could improve or negative facts about Houston. Nothing against Houston or anything but I really think it's fine for people to point things out.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
I have to live in an area with a lot of illegal aliens for my job. Houston fits the bill. Plus, of the places where there is a lot of demand (LA, Miami, NYC, Chicago) Houston is the least desireable place to live and thus a good place for gettinga first job in the field.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 AM

117 posts, read 229,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster10154 View Post
People that live in Houston and complain about all the things they don't like about this city should just leave. Why do they continue to live in Houston while hating it so much?

Oh, that's right, the cost of living is GREAT in Houston! So this reason alone seems to outweigh all other reasons to not live in Houston...if it didn't, these people would've moved out already! In conclusion, you prefer Houston over any other place, since you still reside here.
I don't want to say it is everyone, but I have noticed that people,particularly from people born in the South, tend to feel they are superior to Houstonians. (I know we are in the South, but I mean New Orleans, Atlanta, etc.)

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM

22 posts, read 34,902 times
Because of the nationalist attitude that you are "either with us, or against us" just like you are stating. The companies here pay an enormous amount of money for those of us with an education and expertise. When we move here and see all of the failed policies of the types of thinking that people like you promote (Texas nationalism and Christianity), it's obvious why there is so much failure here. The blatant disregard for people who have other views than you leads us to believe that we are quite possible surrounded by idiots, but well paid for it.
Most people are here in transit, because they were offered an insane salary, once here, now we see why.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM

96 posts, read 234,376 times
what makes me laugh are all these people that move here and complain about traffic. HELLO Mcfly, you and the hoards of people like you moving here are the problem with traffic. Deal with it.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonisgreat View Post
Because of the nationalist attitude that you are "either with us, or against us" just like you are stating. The companies here pay an enormous amount of money for those of us with an education and expertise. When we move here and see all of the failed policies of the types of thinking that people like you promote (Texas nationalism and Christianity), it's obvious why there is so much failure here. The blatant disregard for people who have other views than you leads us to believe that we are quite possible surrounded by idiots, but well paid for it.
Most people are here in transit, because they were offered an insane salary, once here, now we see why.
Pretty much sums it up lol

Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Plus, of the places where there is a lot of demand (LA, Miami, NYC, Chicago) Houston is the least desireable place to live
According to who? Maybe to you, but that doesn't seem to be the general consensus.

Public Policy Polling 2012
New York (49% see it favorably, 23% unfavorably)
Houston (45% favorably, 22% unfavorably)
Chicago (42% favorably, 33% unfavorably)
Miami (36% favorably, 33% unfavorably)
Los Angeles (33% favorably, 40% unfavorably)

Quote:
When we move here and see all of the failed policies of the types of thinking that people like you promote (Texas nationalism and Christianity), it's obvious why there is so much failure here.
Texas Nationalism and Christianity are two different things, and Christianity is not a "failed policy."

Quote:
Rather presumptuous to assume that "most people" here are in transit. And for those who are, it's not necessarily the city but because they have the type of job that moves them around.

As far as pay, that depends highly on the job function and industry. A lot of jobs don't have much different pay than other areas of the country. I know mine doesn't differ much.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,148 times
I won't go through the list of all the cities I have lived in, however there is one truism that holds up no matter where I live: people complain. Doesn't mean that you don't like where you live, simply that people like to complain. It makes them feel better to spread their misery to others. So, if you live in Chicago then you complain about the winter. Live in Houston, complain about the summer. London? Complain about the weather all year round. Traffic, air quality, crime, whatever, people will complain.

It is a bit like the news. The news rarely reports "good news". Nobody wants to hear good news. They report bad news. People don't naturally talk about the things they like, they talk about the things they don't like. Telling them to go elsewhere for doing it, that is just plain silly. To paraphrase a quote: let he who has never, ever complained about any aspect whatsoever of living in Houston cast the first stone.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM

308 posts, read 638,117 times
Quote:
I've never been to the Houston you speak of. You should probably ask for a transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston