Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Gatlinburg is a tourist destination, next to the Smoky Mountains. Houston is a major city, where, while tourism is nice its not the major goal for the city. We should take down the dome.
You are right,
doesn't change the fact that there's 6 million people in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 PM

686 posts, read 1,161,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Gatlinburg is a tourist destination, next to the Smoky Mountains. Houston is a major city, where, while tourism is nice its not the major goal for the city. We should take down the dome.
And who are you to determine what the goal of the city is? No, Houston isn't a tourism city but that's not to say we can't evolve into a city that has multiple things to offer beyond business. Houston probably won't ever be major a tourism city but we can get some decent attractions.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,540,682 times
These whimsical ideas are fun to ponder, but the biggest obstacle to doing anything with the dome, is the fact there is still a $32 million debt owed by Harris County on the property. The dome is owned by the county, not the city, and this huge debt is the end game of decades of kicking the can down the road by refinancing, restructuring debt, reconfiguring, supposed improvements, etc....

That $32 million figure owed by the county today, is close to the original amount spent to build it in 1964. It's a political cluster..

Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 AM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
These whimsical ideas are fun to ponder, but the biggest obstacle to doing anything with the dome, is the fact there is still a $32 million debt owed by Harris County on the property. The dome is owned by the county, not the city, and this huge debt is the end game of decades of kicking the can down the road by refinancing, restructuring debt, reconfiguring, supposed improvements, etc....

That $32 million figure owed by the county today, is close to the original amount spent to build it in 1964. It's a political cluster..
#1 - Why isn't that place paid for with everything that was done there?
#2 - Why not use it for anything to make money and lower that debt?

I bet I know the answer for both = Politics

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times
Houston may not be a tourist city but it gets darn near more visitors than just about every other city in the us other than seven or eight others.

If the people are coming, why not give them things to throw their money at?

Only NY, Disneyland, Miami, LA, ATL, Chicago and SF gets more visitors than Houston.

It's not that Houston is not a tourist city, it clearly based on visitor numbers, what it is not is a city with **** to do.

Again the powers that be here lack vision. The visitors come, whether it be for shopping or for business and we tell then. Nothing to see here folks, go spend your $$$ in SA.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,112,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston may not be a tourist city but it gets darn near more visitors than just about every other city in the us other than seven or eight others.

If the people are coming, why not give them things to throw their money at?

Only NY, Disneyland, Miami, LA, ATL, Chicago and SF gets more visitors than Houston.

It's not that Houston is not a tourist city, it clearly based on visitor numbers, what it is not is a city with **** to do.

Again the powers that be here lack vision. The visitors come, whether it be for shopping or for business and we tell then. Nothing to see here folks, go spend your $$$ in SA.
There's stuff to do there, it's just spread all over the metro which sucks for visitors with no car or no sense on direction. A central entertainment district would solve that.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM

686 posts, read 1,161,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's stuff to do there, it's just spread all over the metro which sucks for visitors with no car or no sense on direction. A central entertainment district would solve that.
Right, and the Dome could be a key piece to developing a Central entertainment district.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Right, and the Dome could be a key piece to developing a Central entertainment district.
No you need a place where you can get out of a hotel and walk around for hours, no need for a car or anything but PT. There's nothing around that area that will offer that. Reliant is too suburban for that. Midtown is a perfect example, tax credits for bars and clubs, the metro is already there, hotels are downtown.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No you need a place where you can get out of a hotel and walk around for hours, no need for a car or anything but PT. There's nothing around that area that will offer that. Reliant is too suburban for that. Midtown is a perfect example, tax credits for bars and clubs, the metro is already there, hotels are downtown.
The area being empty is just a plus. Lots if open land to develop.

But I made a thread about this. More Houstonians prefer a suburban theme park than to develop an entertainment district near downtown. My preferred location is midtown, a couple blocks South if all those darn churches near St Joseph Hospital :

Since then I have taken a better look at the east side of downtown. Downtown itself not east Downtown, and that area is large enough for an entertainment district. I counted 39 city blocks that were empty lots. I am sure there are lots with empty buildings that can be used too. The Area is bounded by Travis in the West Clay to the North, 59 to the east and 45 to the south.

It is the south east corner of this map. http://www.downtownhouston.com/image...ouston_map.jpg
This would increase the walkability of downtown better than anything else could

Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The area being empty is just a plus. Lots if open land to develop.

But I made a thread about this. More Houstonians prefer a suburban theme park than to develop an entertainment district near downtown. My preferred location is midtown, a couple blocks South if all those darn churches near St Joseph Hospital :

Since then I have taken a better look at the east side of downtown. Downtown itself not east Downtown, and that area is large enough for an entertainment district. I counted 39 city blocks that were empty lots. I am sure there are lots with empty buildings that can be used too. The Area is bounded by Travis in the West Clay to the North, 59 to the east and 45 to the south.

It is the south east corner of this map. http://www.downtownhouston.com/image...ouston_map.jpg
This would increase the walkability of downtown better than anything else could
A theme park isn't an entertainment district. Not saying one wouldn't do well but there should be a natural place where people like to gather. That's one thing I didn't like about Houston. Washington Ave was spotted with bars and clubs and walking around just wasn't feasible, especially with the fast traffic.
I was thinking about EaDo as well, it's good that the new Dynamo stadium was built there and the Toyota Center and Minute Main Park are near it. Plus I remember the area where you're talking about, SE Downtown I guess. I remember getting off on N Jackson or maybe Hamilton was noticed all the potential there. There's some good bones and older buildings that could be saved. Only if the city would put some dedicated funds towards one of the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston