Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,785 times

Advertisements

I'll soon be making the transition to Houston from a small town in podunk Iowa. Anything I need to know from you locals or other people who have made similar moves? I've already found housing and a job, but have never lived in a big city so I guess I don't know what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryLady15 View Post
I'll soon be making the transition to Houston from a small town in podunk Iowa. Anything I need to know from you locals or other people who have made similar moves? I've already found housing and a job, but have never lived in a big city so I guess I don't know what to expect.
I moved to Houston from a small town in OKahoma decades back. Traffic was a shock of course, unless you are living close enough to work to avoid the freeways which is rare in Houston. I contend the people of houston are more small town people than city people, at least outsde the inner loop of the city where the urban dwellers congregate.

Good luck in Houston and fire any other questions away glad to help if I can. Welcome to Tx and Houston.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM

101 posts, read 305,638 times
I moved from Iowa City a few years ago, but I lived in Chicago for several years prior to that. I think you will find that traffic and the way people drive will be very different (in some ways not all... Iowa had pretty bad drivers too). I found that services for home repair etc were more expensive in Iowa, but the quality and reliability were much better. Feel free to ask any questions!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,950,117 times
Congratulations on a huge step up.

Advantages: plethora of things to do, food you didn't know existed, cosmpolitan
Disadvantages: traffic, materialistic, huge income disparity, sections of town comprised of mainly illegal immigrants

Old 04-25-2012, 08:26 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,035,579 times
I've always lived in Houston, but visited plenty of small towns. I always hated the following about small cities, so you'll probably enjoy knowing that Houston is nothing like the following.

1. Not enough stores
2. Stores not open late
3. Not enough shopping
4. Everyone knows everyone.
5. Entertainment is lacking in all aspects
6. Not enough places to eat.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,773,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Congratulations on a huge step up.

Advantages: plethora of things to do, food you didn't know existed, cosmpolitan
Disadvantages: traffic, materialistic, huge income disparity, sections of town comprised of mainly illegal immigrants
"Sections of town comprised of mainly illegal immigrants" is quite an overstatement. There are sections of town that are comprised of mainly hispanics - as well as sections of mainly Caucasians and African-American. Most of the immigrants that are here illegally are only trying to better their lives and take care of their families. I respect them for that.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,950,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
"Sections of town comprised of mainly illegal immigrants" is quite an overstatement. There are sections of town that are comprised of mainly hispanics - as well as sections of mainly Caucasians and African-American. Most of the immigrants that are here illegally are only trying to better their lives and take care of their families. I respect them for that.
I would disagree. Come up to Adine around Airline and West Road. Go down to Park Place near Hobby. The Gulfton ghetto? Get with it bro. Learn your city.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:24 AM

5 posts, read 7,785 times
Just an update: I have settled in, am used to the commute from burbs to Galleria (where I work), and have to say overall I am LOVING Houston! And Texas in general for that matter. It's crazy how much I feel right at home after not living here that long. Everyone is so friendly and open which is strange, since I guess the only big city I have to compare it to is Chicago where people tend to be a little more uptight.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,111,665 times
Glad you are liking it here. The friendliness is the most common comment I get from people moving in - from out of state or out of country.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,575,516 times
Happy to see that Houston has embraced you with open arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: