Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be best to relocate to?
Washington DC 20 29.85%
Atlanta 12 17.91%
Houston 30 44.78%
Other? Please le me know and why 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 PM

229 posts, read 304,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you know nothing about Houston. Stop acting like an expert

Considering I have spent every other weekend there for the last several years I think I do know a bit about the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
No, those areas aren't walkable. Maybe for Houston yes, but if you told somebody in Chicago, NY, Boston, San Francisco, that those were walkable areas they would think you were out of your mind. In addition, even if they were walkable, who wants to walk anywhere when it is 95 degrees with 90% humidity several months out of the year. Face it, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Charlotte, etc...are not, and will never, be what you would consider to be dense, walkable cities. It is what it is, so we should make the best of what we have rather than trying to convince others how much of a real city our cities are.
Ok fine. But to say that Houston is well behind Atlanta is false. Atlanta is in the same category as Houston when it concerns with the amount of walkable hoods. They are not nearly in the category with those four cities much less with DC either.

BTW, the weather comment is lame. First off, it is never 95 degrees with 90% humidity. The heat index would be over 140 degrees. That is not the case. Usually, if it's 95 degrees, the humidity is at 40%. People need to stop overexagerrating. Also, the extreme cold weather doesn't stop Chicagoans and Bostonians from walking the streets in their city. Whether you admit or not, Houston is developing dense and walkable neighborhoods. Will they ever be like Chicago, New York, or SF, no. But that shouldn't stop Houston from building those hoods themselves.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
I liked living in DC most out of all three cities. Houston would be second. I'm not really a fan of Atlanta to be honest.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM

46 posts, read 140,241 times
Well thanks everyone for your input. At least now I have a better knowledge of Houston and all the information given will help me in making my decision.

I'll admit that it's not easy to decide to relocate, also I need to find a job and get sponsored for a work visa. So many items out of my control, that only time will tell what will happen. Once I get an offer, I'll let you guys know on where I'm heading unless I'm stuck in Montreal. Not that Montreal is a bad place, but just not right enough for me.

Thanks again

Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
You will notice how the Houston folks are constantly trying to build their city up, and constantly bashing all other cities along the way.
The only city-bashing I see in this forum is the Houston-bashing that has run rampant lately. Well, outside of the long list post, which I suspect was created as a response to all of the Houston-bashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you know nothing about Houston. Stop acting like an expert
I also find it a little strange that he's supposedly in Dallas, yet a new member with 30 posts, 24 of them being Houston forum.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston the new Atlanta? Who says that? Do you mean for Black Americans?
Yes. It's mention often on this forum, outside of city data and more.

Those who think of Atlanta as played out; often like to state Houston as the new Atlanta; which I think is BS.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Yes. It's mention often on this forum, outside of city data and more.

Those who think of Atlanta as played out; often like to state Houston as the new Atlanta; which I think is BS.
Why is it BS?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
No, those areas aren't walkable. Maybe for Houston yes, but if you told somebody in Chicago, NY, Boston, San Francisco, that those were walkable areas they would think you were out of your mind. In addition, even if they were walkable, who wants to walk anywhere when it is 95 degrees with 90% humidity several months out of the year. Face it, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Charlotte, etc...are not, and will never, be what you would consider to be dense, walkable cities. It is what it is, so we should make the best of what we have rather than trying to convince others how much of a real city our cities are.
I guess those who like walking in New Orleans, Miami, Charleston and more.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
Once I get an offer, I'll let you guys know on where I'm heading unless I'm stuck in Montreal. Not that Montreal is a bad place, but just not right enough for me.

Thanks again
Ha! I love Montreal, wanna trade places? Though I've never spent a winter there. The last time I was there, it snowed in May.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 PM

965 posts, read 1,885,916 times
I agree with Blkgirraffe ( ) that Houston is far too diverse and cosmopolitan of a city to labeled as the "next Atlanta." Most of the people who say that are usually folks just looking for the next big thing or looking to party or thinking that a job is just going to fall out of the sky for them.

To the OP, I'd say DC would be your best option, Houston 2nd, and Atlanta a DISTANT 3rd. DC is super stressful, super competitive, and it takes a certain type of person to hack it here depending on the circles you're in. I've been accused of being arrogant, patronizing, or condescending, but these folks here can take it up to the ELEVEN. Lots of highly-educated, type-A workaholics who live to look their nose down on others they deem "lesser-than." You'll be judged on your GS-level, what school you went to, etc. It can be very draining and taxing depending on your temperment. However, the nonprofit world tends to be a lot more sane and humble. It has the most similar urban environment to Montreal, and while it's winters are way milder, the most similar climate. Great access to the Northeast Corridor, great access to the mountains and the ocean, and the Chesapeake bay is in your backyard.

Atlanta - Overrated, oversaturated, tired, through, and delayed. Also, the economy there is crappy (SUPER competitive because there have always been more people than actual jobs there) and it's booming heydays of the late 90's/early 2000's have been over. Terrible traffic congestion (DC is the worst between the three), and it's status as a supposed black mecca is quite overstated, especially nowadays. It has got quite ratchet and hood as hell in many parts of town lately, and I'm too old for all of that. Too many people with no marketable job skills still moving down there trying to chase something that isn't there. Lots of wannabes looking to break into the music industry, babymamas looking to stretch their section 8 vouchers (Atlanta has a low COL), or "models" looking for a shift at Magic City or Onyx. Also, I got love for gay men, but I don't want one as a husband! Not only that, you have to look out for the scores of thirsty, desperate, women eyeballing your man there. While downlow men is a nationwide issue, it seems to be quite prevalant in Atlanta in spite of it being gay friendly. I once knew of a guy who bought a car and paid some of his student loans by blackmailing married men who were DL. I'm surprised that fool didn't get killed the way he carried on. Anyway, Atlanta has the best weather of the three cities to me (mild winters and it doesn't get as humid or hot as Houston as often or as long in the summer), and it's location is hard to beat as you're within a days drive or quick flight to the Northeast, Midwest, Florida, and the Southeast. Great towns like Charleston, Asheville, and Savannah are nearby. There is also great access to some of the best Gulf and Atlantic beaches from there too.

Anyway, Houston doesn't have many walkable, dense neighborhoods like you're used to in Montreal. They are there, but you'd have to drive to them or live right in the midst of them. For transportaion, you better have a car! There is an extensive bus system, and one light rail line for now. The freeways are pretty damn fun to drive when there's no traffic.

Weatherwise, you don't have to shovel heat, and I'm sure after years of dealing with the cold, grey misery of Quebec, the sunny weather in Houston will be a pleasant surprise. Almost everything is air-conditioned there, but if you like jogging, it'll take a minute to get acclimated to the heat and humidity. Besides, it's only like that in Houston from April to October. The rest of the year is pretty nice. There is a beach in Galveston, which is about an hour down the road. It's kind of gross (murky water, dirty beach) but the town itself is charming. Foodwise, I find Houston to be the best out of the three cities you're asking about. You won't get any poutine there, but lots of great Mexican, Vietnamese, Central American, Cajun/Creole, Chinese, and Southern food. You're close to San Antonio, Austin, and a decent drive from New Orleans. Scenically, I don't find Houston attractive, but there are lots of oaks, magnolias, and even palm trees. If you are looking to date and eventually get married, I'd say Houston would be your bes cot to get "wifed-up" in. Culturally, Houston is the least superficial of the three. Yes, you can find flashiness and new-money tackiness there, but nowhere near the amount you'd have in ATL or DC (DC is more old money than Atl, but the keeping up with the jonses mentality is very much there). Great museums, opera, ballet, and theater options are in Houston - it's not a stereotypical cowtown as so many Canadians would lead you to believe.

Also, what do you do for a living? Because that would be a factor in determining what city would be best. Houston and DC's economies are the better ones in the country at the moment. Houston is huge in the energy and healthcare industries. DC is best if you're a lawyer or in IT.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 04-23-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston