U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city would be best to relocate to?
Washington DC 20 29.85%
Atlanta 12 17.91%
Houston 30 44.78%
Other? Please le me know and why 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,765,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
And don't listen to HtownLove, his name says it all. Any constructive criticism of his beloved city is met with crazy statements thrown out as supposed "facts". He previously said "my opinion is fact."
having a city that you love in your screen-name has nothing to do with the objectivity of that person's posts. Saying something like that is just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
How about not trolling and making things up.

Very reputable survey done by Rice Univ each year:
Kinder Houston Area Survey
"90% said Houston was a better place to live than most other metro areas of the country"
Being new, from another place yet almost all his posts are in the Houston forum smells of a troll.
Yep he T-ing big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
jbarn has no idea what he's talking about. Most native Houstonians love the city.
I know right. Just dunno where he is pulling this out of. Most native Houistonians I have met love this place. Especially ones who have lived away from Houston for a few years and came back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,329,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
I have been to Houston hundreds of times over the last 15 years, and have been to Atlanta many, many times over the last several years. Believe me, you will like Atlanta better than Houston. It is much prettier, more city-like, more urban, and the majority of people that live there, love it. Aside from the rabid Houston boosters on this forum, you are going to find that the majority of people living in Houston either dislike their city, or have no opinion at all of their city.
I don't know about that one. I am a "Houston basher", but Houston is better than Atlanta for me personally. Sure Atlanta looks better, but I like Houston's vibe. Give me the tacos trucks and cholas over the gangstas and rednecks.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM

46 posts, read 64,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
First of all, I've lived in all three of these cities.

Second of all jbarn has no idea what he's talking about. Most native Houstonians love the city. Transplants have a generally mixed opinion but most people in our demographic (80s babies) LOVE Houston. Some have superficial views of cities, and those people almost universally hate Houston. It's like a pie with a thick crust and a smooth, flavorful middle. You have to look a little harder than the other two to find the things that make the city most special. It is not going to win any beauty or summer weather contests.

Atlanta was amazing. Only problem there is jobs and the insane traffic. My commute in Atlanta, though shorter, was much more painful than my commute here in DC. I found the people to be a mix, some arrogant and condescending, and many others very friendly and straightshooting.

DC is also amazing. Only problem here is the weather (I hate the cold) and the police-state mentality (speed cameras that will hit you with MAJOR tickets, be warned).

Now let's talk about COL. Do not do not DO NOT underestimate just how expensive the DC area is. I love it here but we pay an extreme premium to live here. A nice place in an area of the DMV that you would want to be in, you're talking 1200+ for a studio and 1350+ for a one bedroom. DC and VA have crazy tax loads, especially DC. Coming from Texas, I was puzzled by personal property tax, state income taxes, city taxes, etc. Cable/Internet? You're probably dropping $100. Food is extremely expensive here. Parking? Fuhgeddaboutit.

Atlanta and Houston are MUCH easier places to live, but DC is the most active. Honestly, you can't make a bad choice among these three given your situation. But I will say this. If I could get the same job I have here making the same money in Houston or Atlanta I would be in one of those two places in a New York minute. Why? All three cities offer different levels of urbanism (important to me), mobility (important to me), quality of life (important to me), and beautiful single black women (very important to me lol). Key difference is in Houston or Atlanta, you can have fun as a 20-something while still financially not having to scrape by.

Atlanta is much prettier than Houston and has more black culture and influence.

Houston is much more diverse and cosmopolitan than Atlanta with better food and cultural amenities in general.

But DC is on a whole other level, and you'll see it by the lightening of your pockets.

Personally, my order would be DC, Houston, then Atlanta, but like I said before, you can't go wrong. Good luck getting a job in Atlanta though.

Hope this helps, rather than just confusing you further lol.
Yes, maybe I'm getting confused...
Well, for now I'm looking into DC and Atlanta. I love both different ways but will enjoy Atl's COL and weather alot more. As for Houston, I'll keep it in mind. I've never been there so it makes it harder to choose it.

Last edited by MissTorn; 04-26-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM

85 posts, read 69,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I don't know about that one. I am a "Houston basher", but Houston is better than Atlanta for me personally. Sure Atlanta looks better, but I like Houston's vibe. Give me the tacos trucks and cholas over the gangstas and rednecks.
...and Houston is void of gangsters and rednecks?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,158,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post

Contrary to popular belief I actually like Atlanta, I wouldnt have stayed there for over 6 years if I didnt, but these days it seems like Houston has a lot more going for it even more so than just the economy.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:42 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,158,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
...and Houston is void of gangsters and rednecks?
oh they are there, but in Atlanta it's really in your face and it seems almost extreme how you can go from being surrounded by one to the other. Perhaps it's the hyper segregation. While Atlanta is a nice city you still have an old south mindset instilled in many people there. Texas may be a part of the Southern US whether its considered southwestern or southeastern, it still feels more removed from the feeling you get in the deep south and Texas is a lot more diverse.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 953,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
Well, for now I'm looking into DC and Atlanta. I love both different ways but will enjoy Atl's COL and weather alot more. As for Houston, I'll keep it in mind. I've never been there so it makes it harder to choose it.
Well seems like u made a decision. I like DC and Atlanta better than Houston and I am pretty sure u will too. Good luck on your journey.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,524,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
Smart decision, Miss Torn. In today's world, it's best to go where the job is and where you believe you'll be most comfortable. Houston isn't going anywhere.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,524,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Well seems like u made a decision. I like DC and Atlanta better than Houston and I am pretty sure u will too. Good luck on your journey.
What is your business here, Atlantan?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM

1,642 posts, read 953,095 times
[quote=Nairobi;24073186]What is your business here, Atlantan?[/QUOT

I should be asking you the same houstonian/ New Orleans . Since you live on our board I thought I would pay yours a visit.. Problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston