Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 PM

86 posts, read 250,073 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are tired of seeing houses with very large swimming pools. How much would it cost on average to fill a medium to large swimming pool. I hope property value only goes up without a pool in the backyard.

Can anyone suggest pool removing companies that you may have used for this?

Are there any restrictions on doing this in zip codes 77025, 77096 or 77035? In bellaire, meyerland, willowmeadows area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
pools are a lot of work and can become really expensive, but generally they only add onto the value.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
I take care of our pool and it isn't hard at all. The only thing my other half does is the backwashing when needed. It's just maintenance and as long as you keep up with it, it just takes a few minutes each week. So far, no big expenses either but we have only been in this house 2 years. The pool is about 15 years old and has been well maintained and I think that is the key.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Wait until you go on vacation and your skimmer and pump break down or a crack develops (can't spot that for awhile). the drought and dry soil conditions are something to really watch for. if it can break up a house it can break up a pool

Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
But you can say that about anything, suppose a tree falls on my house in a storm while I am away (or while I am here for that matter). That is something that happens fairly frequently here in Houston. I can't live worrying about the what ifs. A pool is a bit of enjoyment in a hot climate. But, that wasn't what the OP was asking so I don't want to take it off topic more than I already have.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Fill it and plant an oasis garden.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 PM

86 posts, read 250,073 times
Thanks all.

Again, Do you know any company that does this - removing the pool? I would like to estimate that into the cost when making offers on houses with pool.

We do like swimming just worried about the time it takes to maintain. Cabot, Good to know that you really enjoy it. Many people say it takes about a hour or more a week.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandh View Post
Thanks all.

Again, Do you know any company that does this - removing the pool? I would like to estimate that into the cost when making offers on houses with pool.

We do like swimming just worried about the time it takes to maintain. Cabot, Good to know that you really enjoy it. Many people say it takes about a hour or more a week.
This won't work. Houses with pools are appraised for more than house without pools. Because you do not want one, you want to deduct the cost of removing the pool. It's going to be a difficult undertaking.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Wait until you go on vacation and your skimmer and pump break down or a crack develops (can't spot that for awhile). the drought and dry soil conditions are something to really watch for. if it can break up a house it can break up a pool
Skimmer break? All it is is a weir door and a basket. Do tell...

Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandh View Post
Thanks all.

So you don't have an hour a week to maintain a pool? If your time is that scarce, then you don't need to be buying a house in the first place. What a waste, to fill in a good pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston