U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,238 times
Default Got Job in NW Houston. What area to live in?

Hello,
I got a job in NW Houston. I will be working for a company in Oil and Gas Industry and located on FM529. Close to Jones Rd exit on 290. I am a 26yr old single male.

I want to know what area is best to live for me considering factors like -
1) Safety
2) Traffic and commuting back-forth from work (I will prefer it to be as less as possible). If I live in Galleria or central areas, is traffic too much even though I am going opposite Downtown?
3) Things to do / Area where more youngsters live

Please advice what area I shall pick. Also, I am looking for 1BHK Apt. So, if you can recommend any Apartments that will help. My budget is $600-800 in rent, preferably middle of range, but can spend more depending on what I get against it.

I am temporarily staying with a friend in Copperfield area near work. How is that area to live in? How are other areas comparatively considering things to do v/s traffic/commuting time?

Thanks

Last edited by shahswap; 04-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Add another question..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM

1,942 posts, read 1,452,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahswap View Post
Hello,
I got a job in NW Houston. I will be working for a company in Oil and Gas Industry and located on FM529. Close to Jones Rd exit on 290. I am a 26yr old single male.

I want to know what area is best to live for me considering factors like -
1) Safety
2) Traffic and commuting back-forth from work (I will prefer it to be as less as possible). If I live in Galleria or central areas, is traffic too much even though I am going opposite Downtown?
3) Things to do / Area where more youngsters live

Please advice what area I shall pick. Also, I am looking for 1BHK Apt. So, if you can recommend any Apartments that will help. My budget is $600-800 in rent, preferably middle of range, but can spend more depending on what I get against it.

I am temporarily staying with a friend in Copperfield area near work. How is that area to live in? How are other areas comparatively considering things to do v/s traffic/commuting time?

Thanks
If you want areas with more professional mid to late 20 somethings you need a bigger budget. Location wise I'd say look into City Centre but your budget is WAY out of range for those places. You need to add another $700

You might find something in your budget but it probably won't be very nice. Decent but eh to no. Look around the Energy Corrider. Considering traffic and 290/610, you don't want to be in the Loop living. On your own time activities is different.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,570,445 times
One good place to live is around Bltwy8xIH10, but as pointed out, for 'prime' location, you need more money. Expand your search a bit and you'll find cheaper apts in htat area, use an apt finder to help you out. You can also live aournd 610x IH10, either north galleria/memorial or washington corridor. In the morning traffic isn't a problem (I can usually go 50-80mph all along 290), going home at peak hour will be....but then you can take Bltwy8 and then Ih10. That stretch of my commute takes 15min in the morning and 25 in the evening,barring an accident, and only counting highway minutes since i dont' get on/off feeders. I think you'll still need more than 800$ though for even a modest place. Don't live too far inside the loop, commute will be much worse.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 PM

140 posts, read 123,843 times
theres plenty of apartments closer to 529 and barker cypress and 529 and highway 6. and in your price range and not a bad commute with plenty of nightlife (bars close proximity to some clubs, etc..) and young people. as far as safety, your never gonna be 100% safe in Houston but these areas aren't bad for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston