U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM

15 posts, read 14,338 times
Talking Is Houston's job market hard to break into?

I am considering a move to Houston at the end of June to better my job situation. Where I currently live I work two part-time jobs to equal a full-time job. There aren't many opportunities here to gain full-time employment with decent pay, or full-time employment period. I have been doing some research and it seems that Houston has plenty of full-time employment available. I currently work for FedEx Ground part-time and my position will transfer. Once I arrive in Houston it is imperative that I obtain full-time employment to sustain a decent quality of life. I am also earning a bachelors degree in accounting online and should finish school in the fall of next year, so I am hoping I can gain professional employment at that time. Is Houston's job market really as strong as everywhere I've looked suggests? No negative comments please, only good sound advice. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM

4,642 posts, read 8,158,300 times
See if can get FedEx to let you work your way into accounting there because getting relevant experience would be super helpful before job hunting in accounting.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Topaz that would be ideal, but most of their accounting is done in corporate which is in Pittsburgh and I have no desire to live up north.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:12 PM

85 posts, read 107,068 times
The job market is pretty good here, even now.

Can't avoid the negative comment though, I'm real leery about on-line degrees (I hire Engineers) and won't consider someone without a traditional education. You might consider looking into it.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunareca View Post
Topaz that would be ideal, but most of their accounting is done in corporate which is in Pittsburgh and I have no desire to live up north.
Ah! Well, the important thing is to get accounting experience if you don't yet have that. Can you work nights or weekends for FedEx to earn money while you potentially earn less in an entry level or temp accounting job? Creative Financial Staffing or Robert Half are agencies that advertise accounting jobs.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Shark the school that I go to is an accredited institution. The reason I have chosen this alternative is because I'm a single mother and have to work two jobs to provide for my daughters so online learning it is. Maybe I need to rephrase: No vague negative comments, that is please give an explanation as to why you feel that way. I didn't know an engineer could get a degree on-line? Anywho, the objective is obtain full-time employment with decent working hours and decent pay. Once I am there I will work on breaking into the financial sector, but at the time of my move I will need the basics: Full-time employment with decent pay and decent hours.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Topaz,

I will continue to work for FedEx until I find something else. Once I do find something FedEx will have to go. I can't work two jobs there because I don't have any family or friends in Houston. I pretty much need something where I work days.

Last edited by Shaunareca; 04-25-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Topaz,

I will continue to work for FedEx until I find something else. Once I do find something FedEx will have to go. I can't work two jobs there because I don't have any family or friends in Houston. I pretty much need something where I work days.
You may know this already but hiring managers want to hear that you have a fairly focused career goal and that your skills are a match for what they need - they don't want the emphasis to be on hours, pay, or advancement potential.

Someone on this forum (not me) made a big list of Houston companies - here it is: A Comprehensive Houston Jobs Directory

Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Topaz,

I couldn't imagine myself going into an interview and saying "Ok, this is what I need. A 9 to 5 and no weekends". I am however, steering clear of jobs that are hiring for shifts that I know I can't work. Thanks for the list and the advice.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Topaz,

I couldn't imagine myself going into an interview and saying "Ok, this is what I need. A 9 to 5 and no weekends". I am however, steering clear of jobs that are hiring for shifts that I know I can't work. Thanks for the list and the advice.
I've had candidates tell me they have trouble getting to work on time, a history of fighting with their bosses, and that they are bored with the type of work they were interviewing to do, so that's why I stated the obvious!

Houston has what is likely the best job market in the country right now, so if you are going to job hunt anywhere, this is the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston