Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
ugh Im not confusing issues , I,m saying say lets build something in third ward and everyone shurgs and says progress, say the same thing about building something in a well to do neighbor and its a problem, its not just limited to highrises , its been the case with many city and private projects, rails, stores etc..The highrise is not the point the point is how things are viewed. The whole displacment thing is my point they are not being asked to give up anything they just dont like the idea of it being there.
Rightly or wrongly, if you take an area like the 3rd ward and stick something like this in then odds are it increases land value around it. Stick Ashby high rise where it has been proposed, there is a good chance that it lowers the value of homes and land around it.

In this country, we tend to determine progress or not based on impact on value. Based on this, Ashby high rise in the 3rd ward is progress. Ashby high rise in an already well developed and well to do area is not.

I think it is natural for people to fight against something that may make their neighborhood worse and pay have a negative impact on home values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Rightly or wrongly, if you take an area like the 3rd ward and stick something like this in then odds are it increases land value around it. Stick Ashby high rise where it has been proposed, there is a good chance that it lowers the value of homes and land around it.

In this country, we tend to determine progress or not based on impact on value. Based on this, Ashby high rise in the 3rd ward is progress. Ashby high rise in an already well developed and well to do area is not.

I think it is natural for people to fight against something that may make their neighborhood worse and pay have a negative impact on home values.
I disagree that it increases value of 3rd ward because you would have to convince buyers that the units were worth that much which would be a tough sale. It would have to be built much cheaper to attract the right price point in the 3rd ward and depending how low that price point was could still have a detrimental effect on the surrounding units. But the point is the building is going up because the land values are high enough to justify it and they are because it's a low density urban area. These conflicts can happen then. If the developer wins the area suffers a little (but not as hyperbolized). If the residents win the developer loses out on alot of money, but let's not kid ourselves, this is a battle between two very wealthy groups and taking sides is just being sports fans. It doesn't effect any other area of Houston what the outcome of this fight is.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
There are too many clever ways I can think of to say get some zoning, Houston. I don't know where to start. But now, the NIMBY's are getting childish (picking at the developers homes?). For that reason, go Ashby developers.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post

except , I disagree that it will have neg impact on the area, truth be told highrise attract people of a certain income bracket, which means more likey to spur even more growth in the area which rasies value.. but your statmen speaks to my overall point of if its in a low value area, we should just right it up as good for Houston over all and in the long run, while if its in a high value area now its debatable

Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM

684 posts, read 833,423 times
I would love to see how that area voted on the last attempt to have zoning in Houston. Am sure they voted against it. If so...then too bad about your new high rise neighbors.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 AM

279 posts, read 724,445 times
The traffic impacts of the high rise have been greatly overstated by project opponents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston