Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:01 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,651 times

Advertisements

There are a bunch of really fast, zig-zag walking ants hanging out in my truck.

When I googled really fast zig-zag walking ants I came across the term 'crazy ants' or 'Rasberry ants'. They apparently are a somewhat new pest to the Houston area.

The weird thing is, I don't have any type of food for them in my truck so WTF are they subsisting on? Do they eat seat padding or something?

Killed a few hundred with Raid when they decided to have a party in the upper driver's side door area (between the body and the door), but there are still some walking around from time to time.

I guess I don't mind them too much because they don't sting, but of course would like to be rid of them completely.

Anyone else have this problem or can give some insight to where the queen(s) might be hiding so I can commit some ant genocide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Be careful because they can chew through the wires of your electrical system.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM

163 posts, read 616,709 times
Ha. That happened to my brand new car. The ants that you are seeing around the door jams are just a tiny percentage of the colony that is located elsewhere in the car. I took my guests on a 1,000 mile road trip. Was driving through Austin when they shorted the window wiper fluid pump. When I got to the dealer, they said that there were thousands of them lodged in the pump itself. My new aftershave was RAID because I had to spray everywhere in the car and take out all the plastic pieces around the door.

I eventually bombed the car (twice) in an enclosed garage, and then finished the rest off with the spray. What an ordeal ............... and in my brand new car.

That's my ant story and I'm sticking with it.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,101 times
Try a product called "Terro". It works very well.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,475 times
you probably ran over some sweet watermelons

Old 10-27-2009, 08:05 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
sounds like the perfect time to get that new truck.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
Try a product called "Terro". It works very well.
I'll second this...I've been using the Terro liquid traps in my kitchen and ants are gone. They also have it in different forms. You can get it at Ace Hardware.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:26 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
Wow, so im not the only one. The ants i found in my vehicle are smaller than normal ants as well, but didnt notice it until i thought about it right now....

I certainly dont mind, but they are annoying!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
Ha. That happened to my brand new car. The ants that you are seeing around the door jams are just a tiny percentage of the colony that is located elsewhere in the car. I took my guests on a 1,000 mile road trip. Was driving through Austin when they shorted the window wiper fluid pump. When I got to the dealer, they said that there were thousands of them lodged in the pump itself. My new aftershave was RAID because I had to spray everywhere in the car and take out all the plastic pieces around the door.

I eventually bombed the car (twice) in an enclosed garage, and then finished the rest off with the spray. What an ordeal ............... and in my brand new car.

That's my ant story and I'm sticking with it.
They must be destroyed. This weekend I plan to find their lair. I guess I will check the electronics portions under the hood first. Unforturnately, I do not have access to an enclosed garage in which to bomb them.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:53 PM

163 posts, read 616,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
They must be destroyed. This weekend I plan to find their lair. I guess I will check the electronics portions under the hood first. Unforturnately, I do not have access to an enclosed garage in which to bomb them.
Maybe a tarp or car cover would do the trick. I tried to bomb it in the open the first time without joy, which is the reason I had to move it indoors, and that worked. Good luck with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston