Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,097,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
I agree with houstonfan. There are ongoing discussions in Congress about completely closing this loophole and forcing all online companies to collect state tax. It is an unfair competitive advantage and hurts local companies. Amazon was initially against it but became the first big online company to come out in favor of Congress changing the law to force retailers to collect sales tax based on the state of purchase.
I'm all for supporting my local businesses on most things. And I'm all for paying my share of taxes.

What pisses me off is that they continue to reem people with taxes and then the govt fails to use that money appropriately. As someone who paid more than a teacher's entire yearly salary last year just in taxes, it does hurt to continue to pay taxes, and I tried to get some relief by buying a lot with Amazon - speicifcally because it was tax free and shipped to me very quickly. I'm for my paying my fair share as long as the govt allocates the funds properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I'm all for supporting my local businesses on most things. And I'm all for paying my share of taxes.

What pisses me off is that they continue to reem people with taxes and then the govt fails to use that money appropriately. As someone who paid more than a teacher's entire yearly salary last year just in taxes, it does hurt to continue to pay taxes, and I tried to get some relief by buying a lot with Amazon - speicifcally because it was tax free and shipped to me very quickly. I'm for my paying my fair share as long as the govt allocates the funds properly.
I know, I feel exactly the same way about taxation, "kiss my money away!" In this case, the only silver lining is that I'm giving local stores a better chance, so i'm ok with it. (However, all the business owners that depend on supplies from amazon, will have to pass some of the cost along to their customers, which might hurt their business). It's never fair when it comes to $$.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Sooner or later the states are going to force all these e-businesses to start paying sales taxes.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many of you poster who complain about this are also ones who demand all business loopholes be closed for businesses and 'rich' people? Just playing devils advocate.
I'm sorry to see this loophold closed too. However, I think it will help the small stores of TX bc it gave amazon an unfair advantage. I know I try to buy online to save myself the tax all the time! I think Amazon is only the first, and soon other online businesses will be forced to do the same.
I'm pretty sure there are a few "rich don't enough in taxes" on here, and now they're complaining because the tax man has cometh for amazon, and he'll be coming for the rest of the online business. Too much money to be made.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM

613 posts, read 997,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post

Remove the ability of online companies to compete simply on the basis of no sales tax (plus on the laziness of the average person) and what happens? One of three things:

1) They have to compete on the basis of price, so the added tax you pay is offset a bit by reduced prices.

2) They don't reduce prices and more money is funneled into the local economy which, frankly, is good for the local economy.

3) People don't change their behavior because it is easy to buy online, more tax revenue flows into the coffers and maybe (maybe not) school budgets don't get cut, etc.

I don't know how much sales tax revenue is lost for the state of Texas through online retailing, but I'd guess it is a lot.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Remove the ability of online companies to compete simply on the basis of no sales tax (plus on the laziness of the average person) and what happens? One of three things:

1) They have to compete on the basis of price, so the added tax you pay is offset a bit by reduced prices.

2) They don't reduce prices and more money is funneled into the local economy which, frankly, is good for the local economy.

3) People don't change their behavior because it is easy to buy online, more tax revenue flows into the coffers and maybe (maybe not) school budgets don't get cut, etc.

I don't know how much sales tax revenue is lost for the state of Texas through online retailing, but I'd guess it is a lot.
1.) I'm not a CPA, but if amazon collects tax, don't they hae to pass that tax to the gov, so not likely they will reduce their prices? Their prices were usually a tad lower than the pretax store prices anyway, just because often there's more than one company that offers the same product on amazon so they compete.

2.) and 3.) I think that's what Ihafer and my concerns are. I'm in support of this if the tax collected goes to good use. However, often it gets wasted on frivolous spending and nothing good will come of it. Take for example, the revenue generated from lottery of texas.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm pretty sure there are a few "rich don't enough in taxes" on here, and now they're complaining because the tax man has cometh for amazon, and he'll be coming for the rest of the online business. Too much money to be made.
Except sales tax without a state income tax is essentially a flat tax system, which benefits the wealthy. So you can still complain that the rich aren't paying enough in taxes and be unhappy about amazon adding in state sales tax.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,978,336 times
Bout time the local government wakes up. Now time for every state to start charging on all online purchases.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 PM

61,109 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorldItsMe View Post
I know this is a Texas post..but saw it was about Amazon and tax...just got an email the other day from Amazon..about paying taxes on past purchases. Hadn't bought from them before this past Christmas...guess that was the first..and last.
As part of an agreement reached with Texas Comptroller Susan Combs, Texas will no longer try to collect back taxes from Amazon.

Amazon to Begin Collecting Sales Taxes in Texas: Report | Fox Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
The law has been this way for a long time. If a company has a location in the state, they must collect sales tax. Amazon built a facility in Texas, so now they need to collect sales tax.
In Texas, Amazon actually closed a distribution center in 2011 after the state claimed the company owed $269 million in uncollected sales tax.

Interesting: a trial judge in Illinois surprised a lot of people by ruling that a new state law requiring the e-tailer to collect sales tax because of the presence of Illinois affiliates violates the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Amazon To Start Collecting Sales Tax In Texas - The Consumerist

Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
Amazon really didnt have any choice in the matter. I'll keep buying from Amazon (and using my Prime Membership), as it has such a great selection and absolutely the best Customer Service anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston