Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with Sprint? With their 4G LTE rollout in Houston, thinking about switching over when the iphone 5 comes out later this year. Verizon is just killing my wallet right now... $140 per month and all we have is one smartphone and one data-less dumb phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Anyone have experience with Sprint? With their 4G LTE rollout in Houston, thinking about switching over when the iphone 5 comes out later this year. Verizon is just killing my wallet right now... $140 per month and all we have is one smartphone and one data-less dumb phone.
Are other carriers really so much less than Verizon? I have a droid with Verizon, I think it's around $75/month.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times
Sprint is very solid for the price, especially with lte coming up. 3G speeds right now leave a lot to be desired but they're improving it and 4g is blazing fast on my nexus s 4g.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM

391 posts, read 922,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I've had AT&T since the first iPhone.
Zero issues.
And we have a brand new home, with radiant barrier.
Do you have the iPhone 4S ? I have had issues with it since I first got it in mid-December 2011 and have had it replaced 3 times since then. I just got the sim card replaced today for the first time and keeping my fingers crossed that I had a bad sim card all this time.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM

127 posts, read 400,575 times
I can't believe how many ppl have Iphones. I have one too, the iphone 4 not 4s and I'm thinking about switching. I'm going to wait to see what the new Iphone will give because my Iphone 4 is acting up. I have one speaker on the bottom blown, the home button only sometime respond when I press it, and sometime my phone lags when I switch between programs. I take good care of my phones too, never drop them on the ground. I never had a phone give me problem before the two years mark, but then again a cell phone is outdated within two years anyways.

Back to topic, AT&T is okay since I had issue with my sim card (with the iphone) and texting issue before. The texting issue I talked to three different people in the time frame of 3 weeks before it was resolved which I think is too long. Connection is okay, it good for the most part. The only reason I am with them is because I get a corp. discount from them and they are cheap. We have a family plan with 1 data and everyone unlimited text for 130ish a month for 4 people. We never go over in mins. either.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Are other carriers really so much less than Verizon? I have a droid with Verizon, I think it's around $75/month.
The pricing I've done, yes it is. I've figured I could do 2 smartphones on sprint for about $30 cheaper than the similar verizon package.

My reluctance is that we've had good service from verizon for the past 5 years. Great reception at home/work. I'm trying to decided whether $30 a month is worth it to roll the dice on Sprint.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 AM

82 posts, read 255,866 times
I have the IPhone 4s on Sprint . Took it because of the unlimited data plan. The3g Speed sucks . However I do find it usable for most of the stuff I need like GPS, Web Surfing, Streaming Music, Email and Messaging. YouTube and Videos dont work for the most part.

The speeds are slowly improving . I will hold on till the next Iphone comes out and then decide if I need to switch to Verizon. I read somewhere that Tmobile is planning to upgrade its network too so that it can make it compatible with Iphone.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM

392 posts, read 998,807 times
I can chime in on Sprint, I have it and it is great around the downtown/inner loop area. Fast speeds I can stream netflix etc no problems thru my phone.

However out in Tomball at my parents house I am completely off the grid for the most part lol service sucks. Someone will text me and I will get it a week later etc.

I like it since I spend most of my time around downtown and don't have to worry about going over any data limits from watching so many shows & movies on it.

My parents get good service through At&t out there though.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM

38 posts, read 63,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMTA View Post
I can't believe how many ppl have Iphones. I have one too, the iphone 4 not 4s and I'm thinking about switching. I'm going to wait to see what the new Iphone will give because my Iphone 4 is acting up. I have one speaker on the bottom blown, the home button only sometime respond when I press it, and sometime my phone lags when I switch between programs. I take good care of my phones too, never drop them on the ground. I never had a phone give me problem before the two years mark, but then again a cell phone is outdated within two years anyways.

Back to topic, AT&T is okay since I had issue with my sim card (with the iphone) and texting issue before. The texting issue I talked to three different people in the time frame of 3 weeks before it was resolved which I think is too long. Connection is okay, it good for the most part. The only reason I am with them is because I get a corp. discount from them and they are cheap. We have a family plan with 1 data and everyone unlimited text for 130ish a month for 4 people. We never go over in mins. either.
With your phone, the issue with the stuttering/home button response is poor memory management. I find that this to be too common for my liking on the iPhone, but still a problem that you will find with nearly any phone. The only solutions that work at all are keeping as much free space on your phone as possible and using the task manager (double click home, hold down on an app icon, close the apps in the switcher menu).

With the blown speaker, there is only one speaker on the iPhone. The other grate is the mic. Looking at the phone, I believe it is left for speaker, right for mic.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
I started with Sprint and it works great in major areas but their overall coverage is crap compared to Verizon so if you ever travel you don't want Sprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: