Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM

834 posts, read 2,683,441 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to help to look for a condo/townhouse for my sister to purchase, 2-3 bedroom (max budget is $130K). MLS area is 23 (Memorial). She has an agent but have only looked at overpriced old places (not remodeled). I know at this price point its going to be a old construction but hopefully we can find something that may have some of modern upgrades in kitchen/baths or at least "move in ready" with minor repairs required. I saw a townhome on HAR on West Memorial - Country Place Drive, which is north of Memorial Drive. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about this area if it's any good. My sister is interested in staying on Spring Branch school since that's where her son is now. Any help/comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
I don't live in the townhouses, but the memorial club townhome development does seem very nice. The Georgetown townhouses are better zoned though and I like the look of the complex more (rummel creek > thornwood). Both lack garages. Georgetown has closer access to city centre/town and country. I don't know the quality of the other available townhomes at or below 130k but they don't look very good.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
very popular area and good schools....makes prices go up

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM

418 posts, read 741,882 times
There are tons of apartments in that area. She might want to drive by the area first to see if she would find it acceptable before having the realtor show it to her.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
London TH. Memorial Ashford, Georgetown, and Memorial Club were all built about the same time - and pretty much have the same floor plans. Georgetown's HOA is pretty steep and that needs to be considered. London seems the best location.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
London TH. Memorial Ashford, Georgetown, and Memorial Club were all built about the same time - and pretty much have the same floor plans. Georgetown's HOA is pretty steep and that needs to be considered. London seems the best location.
Any idea why London TH always appears so much lower than memorial club. Georgetown I understand, it's got excellent zoning, but London doesn't appear terribly situated, but alot cheaper. I viewed that as a result of their condition then. Is that not the case?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
A friend of mine lived in those apartments before Eldridge on the south side of Memorial. Napoli's was in front of the apartments. Lots of not so nice things would happen there.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
There is a lot of hood around country place and it seems so out of place with the area. The townhouses are nice and cute interiors but you walk through too many that have bars on the windows. My sister and her husband toured about five a few years back and decided to go further west instead, they all had bars.

BUT! I see this area as majorly poised for a comeback and all it would take is knocking down some of the apartments. It's not oversaturated like Alief or Greenspoint, but a few bad complexes ruins the area.

Georgetown is a very cute area of townhouses but I'd bet the price is way higher.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
A friend of mine lived in those apartments before Eldridge on the south side of Memorial. Napoli's was in front of the apartments. Lots of not so nice things would happen there.
I'm surprised those are still standing. They look like they were built in the 60's and haven't been maintained since the 80's. Land value around them is so high and yet they remain. I think the complex is known as "The Memorial" something now.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
The townhouse market in 23 (both 77024 and 77079) has seen appreciation lately. Something I think that's rare with older townhouses.

I used to recommend HUdson Oaks, but it's had big appreciation and I don't think you can get a 2 bedroom anymore under 150 that doesn't need some work. Sometimes The Pines has 2 bedrooms, but they are older and the entire complex is full of teens going to Memorial HS.

The same thing is happening at Georgetown and the Memorial Townhouses.

Not really a fan of anything around Country Place or Tully. But they are appreciating.

I know this isn't much of a help, but the budget does make it difficult. If she could put up with spending just 15k more and with a moderately remodeled place, Hudson Oaks would be the way to go.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 05-01-2012 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston