Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 AM

38 posts, read 63,030 times

Advertisements

We haven't moved yet (it's an offer with a new company, so we are waiting to hear from realtors about sale of our current home prospects before making the committment to move), but it sounds like you are in a similar bind. I'm trying to run a little cheaper than you, though.

We were pretty sure we would buy, but I think that renting may be the way to go for the first little bit, especially if you aren't sure how long you will be in the area. Property taxes seem to run about 4.5% and values are stagnant, which would mean you would need about 3 years of owning to make it a better option than renting - although I can't tell how long term you will be there.

The one problem with Houston, at least the areas that I've seen (center and west), is greenery. When I went for my interview, something was bothering me, but I couldn't figure out the problem. When I got back I realized the difference was the highways. In the mid-Atlantic/NE, freeways have large, grassy, medians and woods to help block the noise. In Houston, it's all cement from the median to the freeway to the frontage road to the stores. The only trees are the islands in parking lots. It feels grey and dusty. On the other hand, in my entire time there, I didn't meet an unfriendly person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,444 times
Yeah, I understand your dissappointment with Houston. The things that bother me about Boston are the home prices, homes built in the 19th century, roads designed by blind men, horriffic winters, oil burners, radiators, zero energy efficiency, the worst mexican food in the nation, annoying accents, liberal politics, state income tax. In fact, I may go to a Boston forum and let everyone know.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM

127 posts, read 400,530 times
In my opinion, I believe most people who move across the states will always be looking for flaws of the new place. Some will welcome the changes and some won't. Especially if you are moving for work and not because you are looking for a change. To me I think once you live in a certain location for a little while then you will notice the goods and values that a particular city has to offer. Basically a city is not your home yet until you live there a little while and get to know it.

The comment about the trees around the freeway, if you are factoring that as part of the decision of moving to Houston then you are in trouble because I'm sure there are a lot of differences between the city you reside currently vs Houston.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
If you will be working in the Woodlands, you are in the catbird seat, for sure.

Conroe schools are fine, Spring is iffy. Although Spring schools in the north part of the district are OK. They are having some trouble with keeping up with the fast growth of low income students in the south part of the district. Klein is in a state of decline, IMO. Their average SAT score is shameful, even at their flagship school. The cheerleaders are cute, though.

When we moved back to Houston after a long absence, I was having a hard time finding a house. All the houses in Kirkwood had formals plus a den. Here they had 1 living and a game room upstairs. I held fast and found a house with formals. Six months later, it was clear nobody ever went into the living room or dining room.

What may seem strange the first year here will be revealed after you are here a while. My biggest problem was the lack of government in the large unincorporated areas. If you expect services, such as law enforcement, get in a MPC or a subdivision whose HOA is large enough to pay for them. I felt as though we had moved into a disenfranchised no-man's-land.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 15,844 times
That was funny, and well said.

Lionel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Yeah, I understand your dissappointment with Houston. The things that bother me about Boston are the home prices, homes built in the 19th century, roads designed by blind men, horriffic winters, oil burners, radiators, zero energy efficiency, the worst mexican food in the nation, annoying accents, liberal politics, state income tax. In fact, I may go to a Boston forum and let everyone know.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 AM

270 posts, read 478,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Schultz: You really need to do your research on school districts before choosing a home. If you are living in a suburb of Boston, I'm sure will be pleasantly surprised on how much you can get for your money here in TX. For the school districts in Texas, though, remember that they are run independently from town government (hence the name ISD). Just becasue it's in The Woodlands does not mean necessarily your kids will be within The Woodlands school district. It's crazy the way the boundaries are drawn here. Picture buying a house in, say, Newton, for the high quality schools, and then finding out your kids are assigned to Boston Public Schools. Meanwhile some kid in Waltham is assigned to go to Newton North H.S.
Hey I lived in Dorchester/Mattapan and went to elementary school out in Hyde Park in the 80's.

Very grateful. It's what some people do with the opportunity given.

Now that I'm older and where I came from. I can very well see both sides of the coin.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 AM

270 posts, read 478,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lschultz View Post
I currently live in a suburb outside of Boston, 1 acre of land, big house, wouldn't be opposed to downsizing square footage. Husband might be relocating to the Woodlands, and I can't get over how close the houses are. My main priority is school district, four young kids ages 1, 10, 6, and 6, it is so overwhelming. Not sure where to look. Overall how do you like Texas? I know you will tell me its HOT. Thanks so much for input!
Hotter than hades kitchen. And that may be putting it lightly. While there was no winter back home last year, we had a 12-month summer down here Myself As a Boston kid who grew up in the city. Like Dorchester and Mattapan city.....never as a kid would of dreamed living here. Hard work will get you many places....anyhow. I think The Woodlands is great for family types. Who want their kids to be invloved in school and the community,good schools and just a quality of life most anyone would want their kid to have. Quiet,safe..I mean you could jog early or late safely IMO. Just a really good area IMO. I'd put it up there with a Newton,Chestnut Hill or Wellesley.

A car will be needed. No commuter rail or the T.

Texas is as Red as Massasachusetts Blue.

I try to avoid political talk like the plaugue here and all the better IMO.

But overrall a good place.

Just my two cents

Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 7,446 times
BCEagles-thanks for your reply. I can get a good sense of your opinion. Yes hard work does pay off. My parents grew up in South Boston and moved out to the "country" in 1968, Rockland. It was a great area growing up on the South Shore. Never talk politics with anyone, anywhere. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,183 times
We are also planning to move to Houston soon and are looking at The Woodlands. What is considered The Woodlands "Proper"? I heard this term for the first time today.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 PM

67 posts, read 163,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
I agree with Houston321! lived in Boston for awhile and realized I'd rather live in Houston -- so I moved back!

I considered myself liberal by Houston standards, but if you think too many people down here drink the Fox News cool aid, up there it's worse, just in the other direction. What's really bad though is not the blindly-following-ideology, but the local politics.

I bought a new bedroom flatscreen when I moved down here and tried to shove it into my little car. A very nice elderly couple parked nearby offered to have me ride with them in their bright and shiny new pickup and take the TV to my place for me. That would NEVER happen in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston