Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM

913 posts, read 4,343,224 times

Advertisements

I came across this odd shaped (rectangular) man-made island near Kemah :

Seabrook, TX - Google Maps

What could it be? A customs clearance / quarantene / pilot house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Looks like one of those man made Keys.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,541 times
I actually just went on a cruise out of Houston and it went right by this island while leaving the bay. It looked exactly like it does on the map, it was a big rectangle. However, there was a large cage on the northwest corner of it. It was white, and it was empty. I have no idea why it was there, but aside from that, and the two ponds, the island was completely empty. It was so weird. I took a video on it as soon as I saw it, as I remembered seeing this post earlier. I'll upload it later to YouTube and give you the link in another reply. I have no idea what it is for, but I thought that it was really cool to be able to see it in person.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:39 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finntato View Post
I actually just went on a cruise out of Houston and it went right by this island while leaving the bay. It looked exactly like it does on the map, it was a big rectangle. However, there was a large cage on the northwest corner of it. It was white, and it was empty. I have no idea why it was there, but aside from that, and the two ponds, the island was completely empty. It was so weird. I took a video on it as soon as I saw it, as I remembered seeing this post earlier. I'll upload it later to YouTube and give you the link in another reply. I have no idea what it is for, but I thought that it was really cool to be able to see it in person.

Maybe its going to be a Soccer Field ?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
This says it is a place to put the dirt from dredging. That would be kinda neat to turn it into a soccer field.

What is that big Rectangular Island in the middle of Galveston Bay?? | Open Saltwater Discussion | Texas Fishing Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 04:03 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Maybe its going to be a Soccer Field ?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:23 PM

280 posts, read 383,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
This says it is a place to put the dirt from dredging. That would be kinda neat to turn it into a soccer field.

What is that big Rectangular Island in the middle of Galveston Bay?? | Open Saltwater Discussion | Texas Fishing Forum
yep its an island made from the dredging of the ship channel so that all those tankers and cruise ships can navigate from the open gulf way up into the Houston ship Channel.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROON79 View Post
yep its an island made from the dredging of the ship channel so that all those tankers and cruise ships can navigate from the open gulf way up into the Houston ship Channel.
We take our boat and head out towards it (and other similar looking ones) often and anchor nearby to drink wine and watch sunset. The depth gauge goes from about 8 feet to 15, to 50 and back to about 8 feet again... all in the span of about 20 seconds, LOL. The actual channel itself is not that wide.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,426 times
There are still cruises out of Houston? I thought there were plans to do something else with that cruise terminal (speaking of, would the cruise lines that sail out of Houston shift over to Galveston's terminal, or leave the area entirely? It would seem Galveston's terminal might need to be expanded to handle the additional cruises)? It would of been cool if they made dredge island into an interesting shape, and/or put a monument to industry on it or something unique.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:52 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
There are still cruises out of Houston? I thought there were plans to do something else with that cruise terminal (speaking of, would the cruise lines that sail out of Houston shift over to Galveston's terminal, or leave the area entirely? It would seem Galveston's terminal might need to be expanded to handle the additional cruises)? It would of been cool if they made dredge island into an interesting shape, and/or put a monument to industry on it or something unique.
I don't know, I heard the same thing about the Houston terminal (on this forum, of course) a couple of months ago and a quick Google search seems to confirm it. We have been out there twice when cruise ships were returning into Houston. It's pretty cool to see those ships going by so close. My in-laws took a cruise out of there last year with my brother in law and his family, and they said it was surprisingly nicer than they expected. I think the lines that go out of Houston (NCL and Princess, I think) are generally a snack bracket above what leaves from Galveston, but maybe that's in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston