Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM

14 posts, read 65,687 times

Advertisements

Hello,

As a new resident to Telfair, and some living in close proximity of Hwy 59 I wanted to take fellow City-data Telfair resident user's help in the following:

Who is responsible for building the wall along the Highway? City or Property Developer ? (Newland communities in this case)

What is the procedure to petition for the same?

Apart from being an eye sore, this is also getting to be a noise hazard. When we were talking to our builder, they mentioned that it is something in the works and perhaps we should approach the HOA once we move in. I'm sure this is an issue for people living along Mendenhall way, Ralston Branch, Lytham Ct etc.

I see these 10 foot walls on all other major communities along 59 and Sam Houston, why is it that Newland has neglected Telfair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
It is usually a question of the chicken or the egg. If a subdivision already exists and they want to add a road, they will erect a wall. If the road is already there and a subdivision is built next to it - they usually will not.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM

14 posts, read 65,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
It is usually a question of the chicken or the egg. If a subdivision already exists and they want to add a road, they will erect a wall. If the road is already there and a subdivision is built next to it - they usually will not.
Well that is definitely not fair if it is the rule or the law. If we were to petition, should we contact the State or Developer?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
"Contact the HOA" (to me) means the neighborhood is going to pay for it. Check the HOA by-laws. It could either have to be voted in, or the HOA could force everyone to pay up immediately (not likely), or a little more year by year for several years until they have enough fund to put a down payment on a "mortgage" of millions of dollars for a new fence and maintenance that goes along with it. Meanwhile, the HOA fees will still rise every year to the point of being a deterrent to buy into the neighborhood.

On a side note, I never understood the mentality of putting Telfair, Greatwood, RiverPark, etc butted up to one of the busiest freeways in the country. Take a drive down the east part of South 610, and consider that having a look into the crystal ball.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 AM

105 posts, read 236,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forums.sub View Post
Well that is definitely not fair if it is the rule or the law. If we were to petition, should we contact the State or Developer?
I would say it is fair. The developer knew the freeway was there when they built and you knew the freeway was there when you bought. Why should everyone's taxes pay for your wall?

The state will only pay for the wall if they choose to put a new highway near an existing subdivision.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milrtime83 View Post
I would say it is fair. The developer knew the freeway was there when they built and you knew the freeway was there when you bought. Why should everyone's taxes pay for your wall?

The state will only pay for the wall if they choose to put a new highway near an existing subdivision.
This.

It's like buying a house next to a city dump - and then complaining about the smell.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milrtime83 View Post

Exactly. It's like buying next to train tracks and then complaining about the train.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I've been wondering about those noise cancelling walls for a long time.
And my guess is .... that taxpayers end up paying for "rich people's privacy"
because you are not going to find those huge nice walls in poorer neighborhoods.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
This.

It's like buying a house next to a city dump - and then complaining about the smell.
Yep, people don't want take responsibly for their actions. You bought a house and want to complain, maybe you should have bought a different house or did your homework. Oh wait maybe the builder gave you a good discount on the house and if not you will take a major hit when you sell?

My current house, no rear neighbors and there will never be with a major retention pond, single stories on each side of me. Back center of the subdivision so any traffic coming past me is to only the homes around me and far enough away from the major roads for little noise.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Whenever choosing a house, immediate vicinity has to be part of the decision.

If you are near a busy street, back up to a commercial building (or vacant space that easily could become commercial), or are next to the big power lines or a railroad track - it is going to affect quality of life - and re-sale value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston