U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-03-2012, 10:13 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,079,003 times
Default How Could Houston Be A Better Place to Live?

Houston was recently named one of the Top 5 fastest growing Metros in the United States. Texas, as a state topped the list with Austin at #1, D/FW at #2, Houston at #4 and San Antonio at #10.

At present Houston and the D/FW Metroplex are now pretty much equal in terms of population at 6.23 Million in the MSA

Houston's no doubt a better Restaurant town than Dallas, Austin or San Antonio and we have a Coast.

Dallas is a better Shopping/Retail town than Houston, Austin or San Antonio.

Austin has better natural scenery and outdoor activities than Houston or Dallas.

San Antonio has better tourist attractions and recreation (theme parks) than Houston or Austin.

Houston has a lot going for it, but it could be a lot better. What would you like to see come to the Houston area to make it a better place to LIVE.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-04-2012, 01:09 AM

295 posts, read 226,041 times
End suburban sprawl. It's disgusting. Revitalize the close in neighborhoods, promote mixed use developments, promote green energy (solar farms could be HUGE here, it's Texas), create a high school for science and technology (Debakey is good, but that one is more oriented towards medicine), move all industrial areas to the east. Also we need to confine all the high rises to the inner loop and business areas, if we every want a decent skyline we will have to. I think we should really focus our efforts into energy and medicine because it is the future and it's what sets this city apart.

Unread 05-04-2012, 01:44 AM

496 posts, read 569,331 times
Resolve the problem with traffic by mass transit, more road, bike path, etc...
More tree and parks.

Unread 05-04-2012, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 4,750 times
As a newcomer to Houston it is definitely lacking a sense of "culture." It seems to sprawl everywhere with no real sense of direction. Also, it seems people work downtown and eat at lunch, but head out after to get away from town when really downtown should be the center piece. Just my initial thoughts...

Unread 05-04-2012, 07:20 AM

9,728 posts, read 8,436,932 times
I had the pleasure of visiting Seoul, South Korea a few years ago.
This is what Houston needs to make it "amazing"

Seoul subway map

Unread 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM

10,106 posts, read 6,820,014 times
Free gas

Unread 05-04-2012, 09:53 AM

391 posts, read 374,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
Resolve the problem with traffic by mass transit, more road, bike path, etc...
More tree and parks.

More trees and parks?? Houston has 38,752 acres of parks and greenspace in the city... the most park acreage of any large city in the USA! That's larger than the city limits of San Francisco, Miami, Boston, Minneapolis, and so on. So more parks aren't going to make Houston a better place to live.

Traffic is going to be an ongoing issue and will never be resolved in Houston as long as the world keeps spinning. The metro area is now well over 6 million people and even adding commuter rail only takes so many people off the highways. Traffic is an everyday part of a large city... the larger the city, the more traffic you have... ask Los Angeles about that one.

Better mass transit... I will give you that one. Houston definitely needs more light rail. I am very much against commuter rail because it ENCOURAGES suburban sprawl! If you don't want to sit in an hour of traffic each day, don't live 40+ miles from work! I used to live 28 miles from work and what did I do to resolve my problem?... I moved! Now I am 6 miles from work and not a slave to US-290 any longer. Houston's answer for better mass transit is light rail that services all the major commerical centers (downtown, uptown, medical center, greenway plaza and universities) plus connections to both airports.

Unread 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM

391 posts, read 374,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Houston was recently named one of the Top 5 fastest growing Metros in the United States. Texas, as a state topped the list with Austin at #1, D/FW at #2, Houston at #4 and San Antonio at #10.

At present Houston and the D/FW Metroplex are now pretty much equal in terms of population at 6.23 Million in the MSA

Houston's no doubt a better Restaurant town than Dallas, Austin or San Antonio and we have a Coast.

Dallas is a better Shopping/Retail town than Houston, Austin or San Antonio.

Austin has better natural scenery and outdoor activities than Houston or Dallas.

San Antonio has better tourist attractions and recreation (theme parks) than Houston or Austin.

Houston has a lot going for it, but it could be a lot better. What would you like to see come to the Houston area to make it a better place to LIVE.
I don't think Dallas has better shopping than Houston... clearly since Houston has the 7th largest mall on the globe! Plus Houston has far more shopping centers and malls than Dallas.

There isn't anything Houston can do about it's geography to make our landscape look like Austin unless another continent slams into the Gulf coast causing our area to suddenly have hills. Embrace our tree covered flatness for what it is... pretty and unique!

Houston could stand to have more tourist attractions, especially a theme park or two.

Unread 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM

614 posts, read 448,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I had the pleasure of visiting Seoul, South Korea a few years ago.
This is what Houston needs to make it "amazing"

Seoul subway map
I lived there for 7 years. Not an option for Houston though given can't do subway and anything like this above ground would be a nightmare.

I have two simple wishes:

1) Get all of the power lines underground; sometimes I feel like I am in a third world country because of the power lines. I suspect half of the reason people think Houston is ugly is the bloody power lines.

2) A bit more public transport. Not tons as having elevated trains everywhere would be ugly and I get frustrated enough having to sit and wait every time a train comes through on the tracks that run up through Bellaire and West U, but reasonable coverage of the city.

Unread 05-04-2012, 10:06 AM

38 posts, read 29,313 times
Improve perception

We haven't moved there yet, and neither the missus or I is really excited (I'm wondering how soon I could transfer without looking too bad). Here are our concerns in no particular order:

Crime - it sounds like significant crime is everywhere. I mean, it's a wonder the city population isn't in the single digits with all the violent crime that exists everywhere.

Nature - I'd like to see some. Maybe grassy medians and tree line buffers between the freeway and the frontage roads.

Transit - Commuter rail and light rail/subway. Would it be nice if everybody could live close in? Sure. But with commuter rail, I believe you could slow down sprawl. Have stops in the established suburbs, and then have stops in smaller towns. Those towns would grow, but it would minimize continuous bloating of the city. Like others suggest, light rail/subways should connect the city. As an example, look at the DC area. You have towns along the heavy rail, but there isn't a lot in between. Standard, but slowed, growth is filling the gaps with folks that prefer to drive.

Culture - Every person I've asked about Houston and what makes it special ends up staring at me. Then they say, "it's humid." It's tough to build a local culture, but I would think that there is something - find it and promote the crap out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston