Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM

568 posts, read 1,121,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Yet.

Do you think the father, or mother would have intentionally done that? It could happen to any of us. The outcome is tragic, but the mechanics of it are no different than forgetting your cell phone at home, your wallet, or leaving your lights on in your car. Just a strongly and rightgeous you feel now, do the parents of this poor child in regards to qustiioning how this could have ever happened. You'll forget about it soon, but this will be a burden on these parents until the day they die, and they will think of it every day in between, most likely.

Also, if someone dies in an accident, do you feel as strongly about that? Should the deceased have known better than to wake up that morning and get in a vehicle? You would never intentionally have a car accident, would you? Do you see now how your statement is irrelevant in this type of a tragedy?
Again, this is a human being we are talking about not a set of keys. And at least this situation, VERY PREVENTABLE. Not even remotely akin, to a car accident. This happens way too often and we are not even in July yet and this is already starting again. At some point, people need to be held accountable for their actions.

Not to be crude or anything, but I bet that father knew where his cellphone was that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM

418 posts, read 737,870 times
I can't believe the excuses I'm seeing. There is NO reason EVER to FORGET about a child in a car!!! The issue of the guilt the parents are feeling is a totally different subject. Yes, their lives will be forever changed and I feel terrible that they are going through this, but there is NEVER a reason to forget about a living, breathing, helpless child! They come into this world defenseless and it's up to us to shield them from harm in every situation.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,756,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
ANY kind of parent could forget a sleeping baby in the back of a car, I don't care how smug and self-righteous one feels in their parenting style. Who among us has never made a mistake?

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

A horrible accident, what a tragedy for this family. My heart breaks for them.
I recommend that everyone read this Pulitzer Prize winning article written on this subject. Thanks for posting the link, fnh.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:58 PM

613 posts, read 997,081 times
Quote:
Yet.

Also, if someone dies in an accident, do you feel as strongly about that? Should the deceased have known better than to wake up that morning and get in a vehicle? You would never intentionally have a car accident, would you? Do you see now how your statement is irrelevant in this type of a tragedy?
This is your argument? How are the two things remotely comparable? If you are going to argue the point, at least come up with something intelligent instead of absolute drivel. Come on.

Apart from that, I am assuming that most of the people here who are seemingly justifying how one could leave their child out to die are not parents and therefore cannot possibly relate to just how incredibly moronic you'd have to be to do this.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,050,873 times
Quote:
Yet.

Do you think the father, or mother would have intentionally done that? It could happen to any of us. The outcome is tragic, but the mechanics of it are no different than forgetting your cell phone at home, your wallet, or leaving your lights on in your car. Just a strongly and rightgeous you feel now, do the parents of this poor child in regards to qustiioning how this could have ever happened. You'll forget about it soon, but this will be a burden on these parents until the day they die, and they will think of it every day in between, most likely.
I don't know. Mothers and fathers have been known to kill their children. Maybe Casey Anthony should have "forgotten" Caylee in a locked car in the Florida summer heat instead of dumping her in the woods. Then all the bleeding hearts could defend her and tell us how it was an understandable accident and how she is feeling more pain from her own guilt than anything we could ever do to her. The thing is, we don't know what happened, what he was thinking, or how they are feeling.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 PM

613 posts, read 997,081 times
Great point; we have unveiled a whole new way for unstable parents to murder their kids AND draw the sympathy of the public.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,266,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
I can't believe the excuses I'm seeing. There is NO reason EVER to FORGET about a child in a car!!!
I can't believe the judgmental thinking I'm seeing. There are 100 reasons why even a loving, deeply committed parent might forget there is a child asleep in the back seat. And part of not being judgmental is realizing that everyone is not like you. As simple a difference as some people are alert in the morning and some are not can lead to big behavior differences.

This tragedy most commonly occurs when something happens outside the normal routine. Mom usually has the child, but today Dad has to take it, and he's sleep deprived and late for work and... once in a million times that parent is distracted enough to forget. It's a tragedy, not a crime.

Yes, yes, yes, for heaven's sake raise awareness of the problem. And yes, use reminders to help yourself remember. If you have a purse or laptop or cellphone, put it in the back, next to the child, so when you reach for it you'll be reminded.

And judge not, y'all... remember?

Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 PM

2,541 posts, read 4,012,305 times
Well, we're all feeling quite righteous today, aren't we?

If all you had to do to prevent this happening was be a good parent and be careful of your children, it wouldn't happen as often as it does. People have routines. They drive to work, go into commute mental zone, park their car, go to work. But one day, the routine is different. You have to drop your child at daycare instead of your wife doing it. It's early, you're tired, you go into your routine. Child doesn't make a peep, is backwards-facing, you can't even see her in the back. 40 minutes later, you arrive at work...

We used to call each other at work every single day and just say, "how'd the boys do at drop off this morning?" just to check up on each other. We think about our kids constantly and would never leave them somewhere, forget them somewhere, of course! But this happens, and it happens to good people, and it's horrible.

Does it feel good to be smug and righteous? I personally feel sick, sad, and sorry for everyone involved.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM

401 posts, read 1,726,535 times
I can forget to wear my pants and go to work but I cannot even imagine of forgetting about my baby!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times
There really isn't any excuse for your leaving your child in the back seat. A child, at the very least, should be an extension of yourself; The minute you've forgotten your child, you've forgotten yourself. Yes, children get out of hand, misbehave or are lost, but at the very core of the situation is a an irresponsible adult and one who cannot be excused for lack of instilling critical behavior/conduct and skills in their children. "It may not be your fault, but it's your problem."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston