U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM

66 posts, read 118,914 times

Advertisements

There are couple of houses close to Braes bayou( 77025) that we saw. One is in a subdivision called emerald forest ( Glen arbor dr) that is facing the bayou and some in Knollwood village (close to Linkwood park.
Wondering if it is even worth looking as it is sure to have been flooded or WILL flood.
Any suggestions?

Anyone know about this subdivision called emerald forest?

Our agent discourages from even looking there - but we see a house that we like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,258,174 times
Default Listen to your agent...

I would heed the agent's advice. Agents will know much more than meets the eye. A one way decision won't seem bad, that is, liking a place and buying it regardless of what anyone else thinks. But then if you decide to move, you may have problems selling, or not get what you put into it, especially if the house floods, which you will be required to report when you sell.

Did you ask your agent why he/she was against it? Have you looked on the Harris County Flood Control maps? You can plug the address in and see where it may flood. Harris County Flood Education Mapping Tool

Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 AM

28 posts, read 47,513 times
I used to live n Knollwood. We never even got a puddle in Ike or Rita. The previous owners of our home also assured us that it never flooded or even got high water during Allison. I wouldn't worry about it. What I WOULD worry about are declining property values in that area. 4 years ago, my Knollwood house was worth $370K. We sold for about $65K less than that last year....and prices have gone down even more since we sold...

Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,698,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uagreen View Post
I used to live n Knollwood. We never even got a puddle in Ike or Rita. The previous owners of our home also assured us that it never flooded or even got high water during Allison. I wouldn't worry about it. What I WOULD worry about are declining property values in that area. 4 years ago, my Knollwood house was worth $370K. We sold for about $65K less than that last year....and prices have gone down even more since we sold...
It seems inexplicable that prices are decreasing with all the knockdowns happening and the growth of the med center. I think it's just a correction ridiculousness of pre-financial meltdown and the area will strongly rebound, especially if it can get reclassified by FEMA after all the bayou improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston