Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 AM

12 posts, read 49,974 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide between these two places. I work at Downtown.
Distance from League City to Downtown is 25 miles and its 35 miles from Cinco Ranch.
Both seems to have decent school districts.
One negative I see in League City is its close to cost and it may be an issue during Hurricane season.

Could you guys give us your opinion on these lines and which one would you recommend please ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
I can't recommend one over the other, because I don't know much about Katy, but I can say this:

League City is a mix of suburban & country, in both layout and attitudes. Though it's pretty nice overall. High average income. Study your flood maps. Some neighborhoods have mini-ditches on the property edges instead of sidewalks (floodwater containment). I'd imagine wind/storm insurance will be higher in League City than it would be in Katy.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Anyone familiar with both areas please ?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I think the drive in from Cinco is pretty hard right now. So many people are packing in over on the west side of town, that getting through the congestion could prove hair pulling. I know nothing about League City.

Have you considered Pearland or other points within Houston?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM

Cinco Ranch, Sugar Land, League City and Pearland were our shorlisted options.

We based our selections mainly based on the School District.

SugarLand - Good Schools but Its too expensive for our budget. 200-250K is our budget.

Cinco Ranch - Good schools and can afford homes in that range. Commute is the problem. But I will be using Metro - thats how I am convincing myself atleast.

Pearland - Shadow Creek Ranch has nice homes in our budget but I am not getting great reviews about Alvin ISD - thats the deal breaker there for us.

League City - Good Schools but close to Hurricane area.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Yeah, if you can commit to Park and Ride and don't need your car for business lunchs, Katy wouldn't be bad.
Out of your list I like Katy/West Houston the best. There's just so much going on on this side of town. But I would check with the Park-n-Ride times.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 AM

257 posts, read 986,408 times
Default league city

League city is a nice area and not as crowded as other areas but as i always tell people is to look at friendswood a smaller town and one of the best schools in Texas.Look at Great schools.net money magazines #51 best small towns in the USA.$72,000 average income.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM

You're gonna be hard pressed to find someone who knows a lot about both areas, as they are about 50 miles away from each other.

Friendswood is a little nicer than League City, I think. A little further away from the water, not as crowded, also a mix of suburban-country. It lies in 2 school districts, Clear Creek and Friendswood, both are good.

Speaking of Park & Rides, there is one roughly 3 miles north of League City (Bay Area Park & Ride).

Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmganesh View Post
We are trying to decide between these two places. I work at Downtown.
Distance from League City to Downtown is 25 miles and its 35 miles from Cinco Ranch.
Both seems to have decent school districts.
One negative I see in League City is its close to cost and it may be an issue during Hurricane season.

Could you guys give us your opinion on these lines and which one would you recommend please ?
Flip a coin j/k, Katy would be a better fit.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Hard to say what's a better fit for this guy. Katy would be mostly be spared a minimal hurricane. But in a Cat 4 or 5, with a direct hit, Katy isn't going to be very well off. It's only about 60 miles from the coast, the way the crow flies. For example, look at what Rita did to deep East Texas. If you're in the entire metro area, you just have to be prepared to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston