Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:28 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
David Dollar...don't forget that UH will be joining the Big East in 2013, arguably one of the best College Bsasketball Conferences. Also the always sold out Robertson Stadium for a UH team that was #6 in the nation in football also conflicts with your condescending "go to Austin" comment. Plus a new bigger stadium is set to break gound this year. I didn't even mention Rice, who consitently has one of the best baseball teams in the nation.

He can find his collge AND PROFESSIONAL sports IN Houston.
I had a great time when my MSU Bulldogs came to town a couple years ago. Sports at UH can be fun. But get real, UT is the real deal. It is an elite school. If you go there the game will be a real experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM

613 posts, read 1,001,851 times
Quote:
David Dollar...don't forget that UH will be joining the Big East in 2013, arguably one of the best College Bsasketball Conferences. Also the always sold out Robertson Stadium for a UH team that was #6 in the nation in football also conflicts with your condescending "go to Austin" comment. Plus a new bigger stadium is set to break gound this year. I didn't even mention Rice, who consitently has one of the best baseball teams in the nation.

He can find his collge AND PROFESSIONAL sports IN Houston.
Agree that it (the Big East) WAS arguably one of the best basketball conferences. That is no longer the case given Syracuse and Pitt leaving (plus West Virginia). Still a good b-ball conference, but ACC is probably the best now that Syracuse and Pitt join them.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 AM

38 posts, read 66,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonguy123 View Post
Many thanks for your responses. With tregards to the basketball comment, I guess it's an example. Football is good too. I'm a 'soccer' fan, but open to what the locals are interested in. Do you know any specific realtor websites that will feature apartments in the mentioned areas? I checked trulia and that looked decent. Any others? Thanks
I think you've already got good responses, but wanted to add, if your'e a "soccer" fan, you would love the Houston Dynamos. they were #2 last year and are considered one of the best teams in the MLS.

London is one of my favorite cities in the world, you will miss the pedestrian lifestyle, architecture, entertainment and public transportation. However, you will be better off in terms of food (save Indian perhaps), purchasing power, and weather.

The Brit expats I know LOVE living in the Houston MTA. They love getting $6 sandwiches, 5,000 square feet homes for like $300,000, and never ending sunshine.

welcome

Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violator1977 View Post
I think you've already got good responses, but wanted to add, if your'e a "soccer" fan, you would love the Houston Dynamos. they were #2 last year and are considered one of the best teams in the MLS.

London is one of my favorite cities in the world, you will miss the pedestrian lifestyle, architecture, entertainment and public transportation. However, you will be better off in terms of food (save Indian perhaps), purchasing power, and weather.

The Brit expats I know LOVE living in the Houston MTA. They love getting $6 sandwiches, 5,000 square feet homes for like $300,000, and never ending sunshine.

welcome
How much do the sandwiches in England cost?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM

391 posts, read 922,630 times
Quote:
Hi,

It looks like I'm moving to Houston from London, in September. I work for a major oil company in London, and my new job will be based in downtown Houston.

I am a bachelor in my mid 20's and I'm not too bothered about living with/near my fellow british expats, I'd rather get to meet Americans, and do american stuff like go to college basketball games.

Where might be a good location for me? I don't want to commute more than 15/20mins to work, and I'd like to be reasonably near nice bars/clubs. An international atmosphere is what I'd like (I'm caucasian but I have a thing for latino women . The company should provide me with an apartment for 3 months or so, but I'm thinking of getting a flatmate, someone (an american perhaps) who knows the city well and can help me meet new people - is that pretty common, or am I best getting a 1 bed flat.

What are rents like, my salary should be somewhere around the $70/75k mark. No idea at this point what all those layers of tax might leave me with, but I'd like to think I wouldn't be paying more than $1,400 a month in rent.
Being that your office will be located in downtown, you might want to consider a loft in downtown Houston or an apartment in Midtown (right next door to downtown). You can easily find a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom apt for $1400/month in both areas.

Both locations are close to all the major sports... downtown has the major league baseball team (Houston Astros), basketball team (Houston Rockets), soccer team (Houston Dynamo), minor league ice hockey (Houston Aeros)... the football team is about 6 miles southwest of downtown (Houston Texans). Also, the University of Houston and Rice University both have good college sports... University of Houston has a great football team and Rice is awesome in baseball.

Downtown and Midtown are both excellent locations for young single professionals, great bar scene, restuarants, sight seeing, you name it and is all located in close proximity.

Houston is a very friendly town and you will have no problem meeting people to show you around. Welcome to Houston!!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I had a great time when my MSU Bulldogs came to town a couple years ago. Sports at UH can be fun. But get real, UT is the real deal. It is an elite school. If you go there the game will be a real experience.
you obviously didn't go to many UH (or UT ) games last year because I could have easily reversed what you just said and been 100% accurate.

A 13-1 UH team vs (how did UT do again last year?)

Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM

98 posts, read 232,489 times
Dear londonguy caveat emptor we are expat canadians living in the usa.We are also planning a move to n. houston. We rented several times in major us cities.Take your time finding an apt .There are no shortages, and at your salary will not need a roomate unless you want one.Very carefully drive from your soon to be apt, to your soon to be job, as you do not , repeat do not want to be stuck in traffic for hours on end. Living close to your intended job will pay off handsomely in less frustration, hassle, and time wasted .Check with local police for crime stats , Houston is not england , some areas have high crime rates. Take your time acculturating, there is a tremendous amount of hyperbole here. We are big soccer fans, but it is not a popular spectator sport. cheers

Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM

613 posts, read 1,001,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbozo13 View Post
We are big soccer fans, but it is not a popular spectator sport. cheers
I disagree with this. Certainly it is not on the scale of the NFL or MLB, although at their current pace the Dynamo will have a higher average per game than the Astros.

However, MLS attendance is on a continual upswing and surpassed NBA and NHL attendance last season. There is a very good chance that the Dynamo will sell out all of their games this year. During the past season, EPL matches were shown on network TV (Fox) for the first time ever.

More indicative of the growing passion for the sport are the attendance figures at the lower league levels. Lower leagues like NASL and USL are drawing strong attendance (the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL currently are standing room only as seats have been sold out). USL Pro (third tier of the US soccer pyramid) which quality-wise is roughly equivalent to the Blue Square South and North in England outdraws what you'd typically see in matches there.

Apart from that, upon moving from London back to the US it cracked me up that I could actually see more EPL matches on TV in the US than I could in England.

Soccer has grown tremendously in popularity in the past 10 years and I think we will all be shocked by where it sits in the US in the next 20 years.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,790 times
Quote:
you obviously didn't go to many UH (or UT ) games last year because I could have easily reversed what you just said and been 100% accurate.

A 13-1 UH team vs (how did UT do again last year?)
Come on dude. The atmosphere at a UH game is never gonna be like one at a UT game or an SEC game. I am not saying it is bad. I have nothing bad to say about UH. When I went to the game I was treated with respect and gratefulness for coming out. I had a great time and will go back to see Southern Miss when they play here.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,106 times
Quote:
Hi,

It looks like I'm moving to Houston from London, in September. I work for a major oil company in London, and my new job will be based in downtown Houston.

I am a bachelor in my mid 20's and I'm not too bothered about living with/near my fellow british expats, I'd rather get to meet Americans, and do american stuff like go to college basketball games.

Where might be a good location for me? I don't want to commute more than 15/20mins to work, and I'd like to be reasonably near nice bars/clubs. An international atmosphere is what I'd like (I'm caucasian but I have a thing for latino women . The company should provide me with an apartment for 3 months or so, but I'm thinking of getting a flatmate, someone (an american perhaps) who knows the city well and can help me meet new people - is that pretty common, or am I best getting a 1 bed flat.

What are rents like, my salary should be somewhere around the $70/75k mark. No idea at this point what all those layers of tax might leave me with, but I'd like to think I wouldn't be paying more than $1,400 a month in rent.
Hey man if you like Latin women than you are headed to the right city indeed. I am a real estate agent living in Houston all my life..38 years in fact. I agree with Mikey about down town or midtown for sure. Both areas are excellent for what you want but you might want to consider the Montrose area. This puts you half way to your office and the Houston Galleria where there are way more clubs, night life, restaurants, and of course shopping in the Galleria. my wife Hispanic originally from the valley and she works at a law firm in downtown on Fannin st. Anyway you can friend me on facebook Ishmael Trent Draper | Facebook. Im also a cage fighter so don't mind my profile picture!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston