U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-14-2012, 07:25 PM

6,060 posts, read 8,260,200 times
you won't have a problem getting your Asian child accepted - Houston is very diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-14-2012, 07:34 PM

680 posts, read 1,202,401 times
As the various comments/responses to your question demonstrate, Houston is very diverse, in terms of race/ethnicity, language, cultures, and religious, sexual, and political orientations/inclinations. I'd suggest checking out homes inside the 610 Loop, in the 77030, 77025 zip codes. Outside the Loop, check out the Meyerland neighborhood (77096). Don't let the weirdos freak you out, from either side of the political spectrum. Overall, people are pretty friendly and tolerant. Don't stress out about the few unfriendly and intolerant ones that cross your path. Come visit and get a feel of the place.

Unread 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,449,644 times
Why would the OP want to live near these self-proclaimed conservatives? They are treating him/her like garbage. No wonder they want to live in a liberal community. This thread has gotten really ugly and it's embarrassing to Houston.

Unread 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM

15,753 posts, read 17,565,774 times
Why would you consider yourself liberal??? I think some people self-proclaim themselves liberals without truly understanding what liberal is. Houston in general is a moderate city. I'd think you'd be fine anywhere [even the suburbs]. People in the suburbs are just as carefree as those in the city. Don't believe the stereotypes.

Unread 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM

4,628 posts, read 7,832,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia43m View Post

14Bricks - So what neighborhoods scare you the most? (Meaning where do the smart, open minded people get together to plan how they will turn Texas into California?)

That's where I want to live!!!
Ha, this cracked me up.

Unread 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM

286 posts, read 304,915 times
[quote=patricia43m;24303747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post

Thanks for the warm welcome! Clearly I'm on here because I have concerns. Your posts alone have confirmed that I really should be worried about the non-intellectual movement that has taken over in many parts of the country (championed by the likes of George W himself).
!
Yikes! Please give Texas a chance. I'm very liberal from New England and I was definitely apprehensive, but the thing that shocked me most when I came here more than a decade ago was the genuine warmth and kindness people have here and the willingness to embrace diversity. I had the chance to leave Houston last year for more liberal environs but decided I liked the city too much to leave.

I'd recommend Inner Loop neighborhoods (my representative is Sheila Jackson Lee -- can't get more liberal than that!). For your budget, you can get a nice house in the Heights zoned to either Harvard or Travis Elementary. Not so sure about Montrose in your price range -- might be doable. Garden Oaks and Oak Forest -- especially the latter; Oak Forest Elementary is supposed to be one of the best in the 8-county area per the recent Children at Risk study.

Unread 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM

9,608 posts, read 8,520,621 times
When one moves to Houston, all one needs to do is move to a neighborhood with a good Vietnamese restaurant and a good Cajun restaurant and let the rest take care of itself.

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM

6,572 posts, read 6,402,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
When one moves to Houston, all one needs to do is move to a neighborhood with a good Vietnamese restaurant and a good Cajun restaurant and let the rest take care of itself.
This.

I live next door to some of the nicest people - both sides and across - and, although I think they are of the same political persuasion, I am not really sure, because we don't talk about it. ....and that's common.

Houston is made up of mostly transplants, resulting in extreme diversity across the economic spectrum. We all get along in a way apparently not common, to hear tell about it.

Here, it's about the commute, the schools and the neighborhood feel. The rest sort of falls in line.

I would just like to add that a near-by good Italian restaurant is also important.

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,442,455 times
Italian, Asian & Cajun are great, this ethnic meal is most common here:

The Bellaire area zoned to Bellaire HS or Sweetwater zoned to Clements are often top choice neighborhoods for Asian fams in the 500-800 range. Both HS's are always ranked top 10 for SAT scores. You'll get almost twice the house for your money in Sweetwater since it's a burb. Your kids will be happy in Sweetwater becasue it's half Asian/half white. Bellaire is more diverse (includes more races in the school) but the neighborhood is mostly white. Neither are "liberal" but living in liberal Houston areas you're looking at "so-so" schools & then you'll have to pay 12-15K per year for good private schools.

Ex: Montrose is our #1 liberal area but the schools aren't great, you really can't have it both ways here unless you have deep pockets. (Deeper pockets than what most people buying sub million dollar homes have.)

Gawd dang us narrow minded Texans give good advice to outsiders.

Unread 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM

6,572 posts, read 6,402,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Italian, Asian & Cajun are great, this ethnic meal is most common here:

The Bellaire area zoned to Bellaire HS or Sweetwater zoned to Clements are often top choice neighborhoods for Asian fams in the 500-800 range. Both HS's are always ranked top 10 for SAT scores. You'll get almost twice the house for your money in Sweetwater since it's a burb. Your kids will be happy in Sweetwater becasue it's half Asian/half white. Bellaire is more diverse (includes more races in the school) but the neighborhood is mostly white. Neither are "liberal" but living in liberal Houston areas you're looking at "so-so" schools & then you'll have to pay 12-15K per year for good private schools.

Ex: Montrose is our #1 liberal area but the schools aren't great, you really can't have it both ways here unless you have deep pockets. (Deeper pockets than what most people buying sub million dollar homes have.)

Gawd dang us narrow minded Texans give good advice to outsiders.
LOL -Lizzy. I have to admit something that I don't like to admit - I am just so-so on Mexican food - unless it is Escalantes or the Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom plate at Chuy's - and any taqueria in town for Mexican Breakfast on Sunday, with a Michelotta or Suerra. Now that I think about it, it sounds like a good way to while away the afternoon. I will see you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston