Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 PM

613 posts, read 997,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia43m View Post
Atlanta was easy because we lived near major hospitals and Emory so there was a very liberal and intellectual community. We have always tried to find communities near research universities (even though that isn't our field). They just tend to create a good community nearby. Also, gay and lesbian communities are also very comfortable for us even though we are not a same sex couple.
Rice University, the Medical Center and the Museum District all are in the same area. Based on what you say you liked in Atlanta, this is probably the area for you to hunt. Plenty of options between Museum District, broader Rice Village area (Southgate, Southampton, etc.), West U, Southside Place, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,015,002 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses. The commute is an issue BUT my husband would drive an hour if he knew he was coming back to a great community. We prefer something close to the city anyway but I'm not sure how Houston suburbs work (how far out do you have to go to get a single family house with a yard).

We haven't made up our minds yet about the move. I have lived in Europe, South Africa, NYC (home), upstate NY, Atlanta and Washington DC/Maryland. Atlanta was easy because we lived near major hospitals and Emory so there was a very liberal and intellectual community. We have always tried to find communities near research universities (even though that isn't our field). They just tend to create a good community nearby. Also, gay and lesbian communities are also very comfortable for us even though we are not a same sex couple.

I know we won't still be in Texas by the time high school comes around so the elementary school is the primary concern. Private school is an OK option but not Catholic school for obvious reasons.

To the poster who thinks Texas is economically superior because of conservative values - I don't think anyone outside of Texas thinks that. I'm not trying to get into a debate. I just don't want to surround myself with closed minded conservatives who are somewhat unaware of the world outside Texas. (That said, I know a little about the world and nothing about Texas!)

I know a few people who live in Texas who are pretty progressive so I'm sure there must be a way to find a community that is progressive. We could go up to $850,000 but we have two other homes we haven't sold yet so I prefer to stay in the $700,000. Seems like that should be possible.
Most of Houston will look like a suburb to you. But here, when people say suburb, they usually mean someplace outside of loop 610, often outside of Beltway 8. Most people choose those neighborhoods because they are a good value and often have good schools. But on your budget, there is really no reason to look that far out. You'll find more like-minded people inside the loop or in the neighborhoods just outside the loop, and big houses with yards. I would look around Rice University, especially targeting houses zoned to Roberts Elementary; and in the Heights, zoned to Travis Elementary. Other good schools with nice houses around them are River Oaks Elementary and Twain. Those four schools will give you great housing options. A good realtor should be able to help you out, with that information.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,116,551 times
The larger, newer homes in Oak Forest and Garden Oaks come to mind. Closer in than the typical burbs.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,764,827 times
Quote:
Ugh - Ok the response of "Try China" is exactly what I'm afraid of. My son isn't Chinese by the way. If China is more diverse than any community in Houston, we are in trouble!!
There are plenty of Asians of many varieties here and not only in the city. My dil is Hindu Indian and there is a Temple in Pearland. While there are a lot of conservatives here, there are plenty of liberals too. I was quite surprised at the numbers voting in the Democratic primary when Obama was running.

There is also quite a large atheist community in Houston and we tend to be more liberal than the Christian population. The Texas Freethought Convention was held in Houston this year.

Houston Atheists (Houston, TX) - Meetup

Note that housing here is less segregated than in many parts of the North. You will find neighborhoods where there are lots of families with many ethnicities. For example, on my street we have Pakistanis, Chinese, African Americans, Mexicans and others living quite close to each other. When I lived in the Chicago area, the first suburb I lived in was more segregated in terms of housing although the suburb itself was quite diverse.

The difficulty I have here involves schools that insist on teaching Creationism and that still include prayer at PTA meetings and school board meetings. These things did not happen in Chicago.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM

168 posts, read 468,146 times
Quote:
We are probably moving to Houston later this summer and need recommendations (community names or zip codes). We have a 5 year old so we obviously need a really good school district.

Equally important is a very liberal community. We are very politically active and also want a welcoming community for our adopted son who is Asian.

Looking to spend $650,000-$800,000 (MAX) OR we could build a new house or redo an existing home but still come in under $800,000. Would like a 4 bedroom home but it doesn't need to be a huge home for just the three of us.

Is this possible? I have lived in many different countries and in several parts of the US but have never even been to Texas.

Thank you

Why don't you just pick a wealthy Republican's house and "occupy" thier lawn.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 PM

20 posts, read 52,500 times
[quote=14Bricks;24302468] Communism is a extreme form liberalism, which is what you seem to be looking for.

You aren't any help and it stems from you not understanding what liberal means.
If you know you cannot help, it might be best to move on.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM

644 posts, read 1,346,868 times
[quote=14Bricks;24303005]
Quote:

I think you need to move on, like California. That type of attitude is not wanted here.
What is your problem? Liberal people are not welcome here???

Patricia, there are plenty of liberal people in Houston and as long as you are careful about the community you choose, you will feel welcomed. Our family is very liberal and we moved here last year. I love Houston so far and that probably comes from the fact that I love my community here.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 PM

285 posts, read 565,211 times
With your budget, I would suggest the neighborhoods near Rice University. The neighborhood just to the south of Rice, called Southgate, has a lot of nice homes in your price range and it is a beautiful area convenient to many of the best things Houston has to offer.

Don't be put off by some of the posters here. There is always a minority of people that see any mention of politics and/or race as an invitation to get on the soapbox. As a liberal-minded person you will be amazed by the city's diversity and I think you will find Houston very welcoming, particularly within the 610 loop areas.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM

103 posts, read 135,205 times
Quote:
Also, gay and lesbian communities are also very comfortable for us even though we are not a same sex couple.
Thats cute.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,428,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I have no problems with liberals, but when you come in here with insulting, condescending attitude saying "oh I have to move some very liberal or people are going to harm my son".
I get what you're saying bricks, and you are right, the majority of conservatives aren't racist/bigots... however, the vast majority of all racist/bigots identify themselves as conservative.

But to the OP, I would agree with Bricks, Houston is very diverse, and you can certainly find a welcoming community that is mostly conservative who will be accepting of your family. My family is liberal, and we're very happy down here and have friends of all varieties.

Last edited by LostInHouston; 05-14-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston