U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM

5 posts, read 14,301 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to south shore harbour country club, would like to know the ups and downs for living around there. Is it a good, safe area? Activities? Schools? Air quality vs the rest of Houston? Anything else that would help....thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 04:15 PM

3,698 posts, read 7,200,628 times
That's a nice area. Close to all the stores you could possibly need. Close to Kemah. Close enough to JSC if you have related employment. Good schools, too. The entire school district was rated exemplary 1 or 2 years ago.

The only downside is traffic on Egret Bay/270 sucks at 530-6pm. The 5 way intersection becomes a bottleneck.

We looked at houses in South Shore, but chose a different part of League City instead. South Shore didn't flood during hurricane Ike as far as I know, but it did put a scare in us as that part of town is closer to the bay.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM

682 posts, read 1,739,173 times
I wouldn't base a decision on what flooded during Hurricane Ike. In April 2009 there was a storm system thought brought nearly a foot of rain to the area over several hours and neighborhoods that have never flooded before, flooded...and the same neighborhoods didn't flood during Ike. Generally though, I don't think there have been any flooding issues in South Shore. But when asking around, don't just ask about flooding during hurricanes. It would take a good size storm (probably cat 4 or 5) at just the right spot to flood League City from storm surge.

I don't live in South Shore but lived in some apartments near there for several years and bought a home in a different part of League City a couple years go. Definitely a nice place to live. And while everyone will complain about the traffic at the FM 518 / 270 / 2094 intersection, it's still far less of a ordeal than getting stuck in traffic on 45.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM

8,730 posts, read 17,855,956 times
The only downside is the fact that area is growing so much that traffic is horrible but everything else is good.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM

682 posts, read 1,739,173 times
I don't think the traffic is any worse than other areas of Houston...in fact I think it is still better than most. 646 between 3 and 45 is horrible right now but due to construction, once it's complete that section of road should be a whole lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: