U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,348 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new here. We maybe relocating to the Stafford area from Phoenix, AZ. We have a few concerns with crime, commuting, area and cost being the biggest.

I am a stay at home homeschooling mom with active boys. I know we can adapt pretty much anywhere however I do want to find a great place to land into.

Hubby works lots of hours and will be commuting. We are looking at the Sugarland area since it's been recommended. I personally hate HOA's but I'm not sure if a safe area would be without that. What areas would you recommend that are low crime, safe and affordable? We are in our 40's so nightlife doesn't matter to us. I'm more interested in eating healthy, staying fit and happy. It may sound corney but I'm simple. I've lived in the city for most of my life and everything is just a drive away in my opinion. I've heard that Sugarland is like Chandler, AZ but I really hate that area.

I've heard conflicting comments about Missouri City. Is it okay or just parts?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM

3,492 posts, read 3,213,930 times
Where is hubby working in Houston? I am familiar with Phoenix metro and can assure you can find great areas in Houston. I am not as fond of SW Houston as other options but they depend upon commute. Congrats on the promotion, you will find Houston very warm....both the peopleand the summer weather. The temps will sound low to you but with humidity they are very hot feeling just as Phoenix is. The clouds in Houston help some in the summer, which is an issue in Phoenix. We look forward to helping you with your move with information. I now live in Dallas area but spend 33 great years in Houston.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 AM

391 posts, read 473,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my4boysmom View Post
Hi,
I'm new here. We maybe relocating to the Stafford area from Phoenix, AZ. We have a few concerns with crime, commuting, area and cost being the biggest.

I am a stay at home homeschooling mom with active boys. I know we can adapt pretty much anywhere however I do want to find a great place to land into.

Hubby works lots of hours and will be commuting. We are looking at the Sugarland area since it's been recommended. I personally hate HOA's but I'm not sure if a safe area would be without that. What areas would you recommend that are low crime, safe and affordable? We are in our 40's so nightlife doesn't matter to us. I'm more interested in eating healthy, staying fit and happy. It may sound corney but I'm simple. I've lived in the city for most of my life and everything is just a drive away in my opinion. I've heard that Sugarland is like Chandler, AZ but I really hate that area.

I've heard conflicting comments about Missouri City. Is it okay or just parts?

TIA
Well it really depends on what area in Houston your hubby will be working. If it is in close proximity to Sugar Land then by all means Sugar Land is a great area! Most of Missouri City is nice like Sugar Land, but the area of Missouri City that you probably heard conflicting comments about will be in the 77489 zipcode which is the older part closest to Stafford. Both the Missouri City and Sugar Land police departments do an outstanding job controlling crime and keeping both cities very safe! In fact, Missouri City is one of the safest cities in all of Texas to live... food for thought. HOA's are extremely prevelant in both areas (pretty much in all suburban areas too). When it comes to affordability you will probably get a little more bang for your buck in Missouri City.

You will find lots of parks to run, lots of gyms to stay fit, and tons of entertainment. Sugar Land just got a minor league baseball team and a brand new stadium (Constellation Field) which is awesome. The zipcodes you want to focus on in both cities are 77459, 77478 and 77479. Like I said, you want to steer clear of 77489 and also 77477 while you are at it.

I hope you have a great move! Welcome to Houston!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 AM

4,666 posts, read 8,734,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my4boysmom View Post
Hi,
I've heard that Sugarland is like Chandler, AZ but I really hate that area.
What did you hate about Chandler? Most of Sugar Land is very nice, with some less nice areas bordering Alief/Houston.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM

5,345 posts, read 9,098,131 times
Where is work?

Most of Sugar Land is very nice, it's a great place to live. I would recommend to not buy north of West Bellfort (or preferably West Airport Blvd if we're talking east of Hwy 6), as many the neighborhoods north of those streets have had problems possibly resulting from spillover from the Alief area.

Not a huge fan of Missouri City outside of Riverstone and Sienna Plantation... even when we lived in the First Colony portion of Missouri City, there were issues with getting zoned east over to schools in Quail Valley and older areas that were not as nice and seemed transient. Also their city tax rate is higher than Sugar Land's.

Stafford is mostly a business town... I don't know of many neighborhoods there, nice ones anyway. There are some apartments that are okay from what I know.

Parts of Richmond also have some very nice neighborhoods, lots of newer construction as Sugar Land is running out of room and the population seems to be expanding west.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,343 times
hello
stafford has really low taxes 1.9% compared to sugar land around 2.4 and missouri city, around 3%. have you checkeck Grove west in stafford?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM

691 posts, read 599,121 times
Stafford has been chopped up to barely beyond recognition and is more of a commercial area than residential. I mean, there's the Promenade at Stafford and some apartments on Dulles and 90, but not much. If you want to stay near Stafford, then Sugar Land's neighborhoods of Sugar Creek, The Lexingtons (Lexington Colony, Settlement, Point), Colony Lakes, and Riverbend/Sugar Crossing (they bleed into each other).

With Sugar Land, you'll run into the issue of zoning, especially if you have young children. All of these neighborhoods zone to Dulles HS, which is a good school, but you're looking at at least three different elementary schools that you could end up at (Stafford Primary, Lexington, and Dulles).

Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,348 times
Hubby will be working Stafford so living near there with a smaller commute but nice area are what we are looking for. I hope this makes sense.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 AM

928 posts, read 1,448,959 times
Depends on your budget? First Colony, Telfair & Riverstone are places I would recommend in Sugar Land.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM

1,442 posts, read 3,530,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjadrewes View Post
hello
stafford has really low taxes 1.9% compared to sugar land around 2.4 and missouri city, around 3%. have you checkeck Grove west in stafford?
That is one of the benefits of living in Stafford, TX, but it doesn't have many new build communities. The Stafford are covers 2 zip does and they are 77477 and 77497.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston