Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 PM

26 posts, read 94,116 times

Advertisements

bump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 AM

38 posts, read 66,820 times
Houston is not know for its finance sector. In Texas, Dallas is known more for that than Houston. I am guessing Chicago on this with its stock exchange.

Dating: I'm going to say a toss up. Both have lively nightlife scenes.
COL: Houston
Weather: Houston
Public Transport: Chicago
People: Houston. More integrated, more welcoming, more talkative in general with strangers.

In defense of Chicago (though you did not ask), better culture, better clothes shopping, more things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latindude_83 View Post
New to this forum, and looking for same advice. I am looking to move from South Florida to either Chicago or Houston in the next 3-6 months. The main reason I want to move is to better my employment opportunities in Finance/Accounting as I have a B.A on Accounting, and looking to get a masters soon. I am 29 single, own a car and honestly looking for a change as I have lived in FL for over 12 yrs.

Important selling points:
-dating: ??
-COL: HOU?
-Weather: HOU?
-Public Trans: CHI?
-People: ??

Any advice would be appreciated.
I am aware that it would be ideal to have a position lined up before moving, but I am willing to take my chances as I have some savings to make it for 6-9 months and I will be willing to do other jobs before I find what I am looking for.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 PM

26 posts, read 94,116 times
Thanks
violator1977!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 PM

84 posts, read 192,951 times
I just thought to bump this thread up just to let the OP now that I have decided to stay in Houston atleast for a year or two than will evaluate the situation further to move or stay on. Lots of factors went into my decision but the most over-riding one was indeed the stronger & growing economy of Houston and the fact that I know so many people who have moved from NYC or Chicago to Houston or Dallas in last few years.

Good luck with whatever you do latindude_83. Time for me to hunker and find a Accounting position.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 PM

340 posts, read 802,563 times
I am an accountant living in Houston and can say the market here is not bad and has lots of openings in the oil industry.

My main concern from leaving Florida would be the gun laws in Chicago vs Houston. Florida is very friendly like Texas while in Chicago you are considered a criminal if you want to own a gun.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,290 times
I live in Chicago and am looking at possibly moving to Houston. I have family in the Houston area so I visit Houston quite often. I think Chicago is a beautiful city but it has some serious issues to contend with in the future. The city is broke as is the state. Taxes are going higher, crime is going higher and jobs are leaving the state. The weather is horrific. The cost of living is about twice as expensive and the people that live here, while friendly on the outside, are very flaky on the inside. Chicago is also the most segregated city in the US. The city is VERY VERY liberal. If you are to the right politically of Chavez you will NOT fit in here. The unions have destroyed the town and the city government is corrupt as hell.

It's a shame too because there is a lot of potential here.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 AM

7 posts, read 36,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Ok, I am going to try to not let my favoritism for Houston get in the way of my answer, but Houston is definitely the way to go! Let's look at each of your selling points.

Dating... that is going to be pretty much the same anywhere you go.

Cost of living... Houston hands down! For being the 4th largest city in the nation, Houston has the lowest cost of living out of the top 10 largest cities in America. You get way more bang for your buck here than you would in any of the other top 10 cities. Did I mention, Texas doesn't have a state income tax and Illinois has one!

Weather... Houston!! Being you are from Florida you most likely don't like cold winters. The winters in Houston are much like Florida, but maybe just a tid bit cooler. Chicago is extremely cold in the winter, snows alot and they also have oppressive heat in the summer time... kinda like Houston has.

Public Transportation - Chicago. Houston has a small light rail system and large bus system. Houston will never have the train system that Chicago has. In Houston you will definitely need a car, just like you do in Florida.

People... Houston!! Houston has some of the most laid back and friendly people! Houston is like an enormous small town when it comes to people. If you like friendly people then you would absolutely love Houston.

My own advice... Houston has one of the hottest economies in the country! The city has such a positive outlook for the remainder of the decade and in all honesty if you are looking to grow your career, I would highly recommend Houston over Chicago. It is really amazing and shocking when I go out and meet tons of people who have moved to Houston to have a better way of life. Most of these people are from northern states.
I totally agree with Mikey!
And the person who said Houston women are not attractive is blind-
I lived in NY for 3 winters and I loved the city, I hated the weather and Chicago has more cold months (plus wind) than NYC. If you like being outside in shorts, tennis or sandals - you cant do that for more than 2 months in Chicago

Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 AM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times
2 months? Are you nuts? I grew up in Chicago and can asure you that we wore shorts outside for quite a bit more than 2 months.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
2 months? Are you nuts? I grew up in Chicago and can asure you that we wore shorts outside for quite a bit more than 2 months.
I have lived in Chicago for 8 years and I wore a jacket in June this year. In June!!!!

You get roughly 3 months of decent weather in Chicago. Last year we had the best fall since I've lived here. A real, normal fall season. Usually we go from hot, humid 95 degrees straight to cold in Sept. And the grey, oh dear God the never ending grey skies. Ugh!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 AM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times
I lived in Chicago for 22 years. Yes, that happens occasionally. I've also worn short sleeves in February. Weather varies.

With weather, much of it depends on what you grew up with. I love Spring and Autumn in the Midwest.

95 and humid is extremely rare. I know you have a heat wave now, but the peak month average historical temperature in Chicago is July with an average of 82 degrees. The grey skies are in autumn and winter. Spring and summer are glorious blue.

You live in the burbs, not in the vicinity of the lake I presume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston