U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 13,130 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to the metro area of Houston and would like some feedback on why people relocate there, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 PM

187 posts, read 642,176 times
We moved here for a job. Didn't have much choice in the matter (other than to stay where we were, which wasn't so bad, either). It has been a good move for us as a family, financially, educationally, etc.

The Houston metro area is huge and sprawling with a wide arry of features and amenities. The most important aspect in determining where in the area you'll want to land will be based on where you will work, your tolerance for commute (time and traffic), and your price range. Once you have those sorted out you'll want to factor in personal preferences for specific amenities, lifestyle, urban/suburban/rural, culture, landscape.

Our work is near Bush/IAH airport so we looked at living in areas within 30 minutes of that. Lots of options in our price range. We live mid-urban living but costs here make it prohibitive for our needs, so we looked at the suburbs. Being from out of state we focused on the "name brand" 'burbs...the ones we've all heard of around here b/c they're heavily marketed and amenity-rich. We rented in one area so we could take our time exploring all areas of interest. It took a while but found a place we are happy with.

If you're not familiar with the Houston area, I'd suggest you rent a place and explore any areas that may meet your needs based on commute, cost, and overall value based on preferences. It's way too hard to just plop down and buy a place here w/o really getting a loy of the land...and since propery values don't increase dramatically in most areas you're likely to lose $$$ if you buy then sell again within 2-3 years.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 AM

838 posts, read 2,534,264 times
Default I moved here from phoenix

I moved here because after 11 years we needed a break from the desert. I chose the South side of Katy because I studied the Houston area extensively and decided that this would be the best place for the value.

Great schools, close to everything, affordable and safe. the new expanded I-10 plus improvements to the grand parkway make for an easy commute to almost anywhere.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,639,564 times
I was working as an engineer in San Antonio,
was layed off, tried really hard to stay in San Antonio since I had a new house, couldn't find any job....
but when I did searches for Houston, there were 10-15 times as many jobs for engineers as there were in San Antonio.

I think it took me 1 week to find a job in Houston (last year).
And as an engineer, I have no plans of ever moving from here.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM

105 posts, read 176,224 times
Job. I moved here from Colorado Springs, CO and absolutely loved that city and state. I would love to move back there but there are no jobs! I'm liking living in Houston too. We are not fond of big city lifestyles, so living in suburban Houston is perfect for us. My wife still has her heart in the beautiful city that she lived before moving here - Charlotte. But she can't complain much since she got a very good job here. Considering we moved here just a couple of months back, I think it will take time for Houston to sink in. I was surprised how wide the roads are here and how obsessed Houston is with overpasses. All in all, this has been a very good move for us, both financially and personally.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 AM

3,368 posts, read 6,572,353 times
Job and closest big city to my hometown. I grew up in SE Texas which has abundant employment only if you want to work in a refinery. I don't.

I got a job offer in Clear Lake and have been here ever since. I miss the small town feel, but have actually found some of it in the suburbs around where I live. It's not a bad trade off because we are in one of the best school districts in the state and this includes one of the best high schools in the nation. And we are right next door to a top 5 Money Magazine best places to live. We have our own symphony (season ticket holders!), tons of stores, the Kemah Boardwalk, and a good hospital (which I hope I never need!) so we are staying put.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM

815 posts, read 1,500,236 times
Company offered me a relocate back to Houston. Moved to North Richmond because is will be an up and coming area and the next Katy. Have family in Katy and being around them and having some great neighbors in a safe neighborhood makes it worth 50 minute drive to Greenspoints every day for work.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,817,255 times
Job. I live downtown as there are more things for single folks to do there.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,639,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
I was surprised how wide the roads are here and how obsessed Houston is with overpasses.
There's no money for freeways, but there's always money for overpasses

Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,189,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's no money for freeways, but there's always money for overpasses
What type of engineer are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or