Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 844 times

Advertisements

I am on the exact same boat now. I have just moved to Houston, and looking for a job. I am also a civil Engineer with 6-8 years of experience. Any suggestions please!!

Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_in_Tx View Post
I am on the exact same boat now. I have just moved to Houston, and looking for a job. I am also a civil Engineer with 6-8 years of experience. Any suggestions please!!
Oil and gas companies hire engineers but really want people to manage contractors who actually do the work or who can become either a technical guru for them or more likely a leader/supervisor/manager of their staff - good at training and mentoring the young engineers and operations types. If you do not have oil and gas operating company experience, you need to focus on service companies which includes engineering firms. Bechtel, Fluor, McDermott, Chicago Bridge and Iron, Technip Haliburton, Schlumberger are examples. If your engineering technical skills and resume do not work with these guys, go the NW part of Houston or around the ship channel and talk to some of the smaller engineering/service companies which may include pipe design etc. These jobs wont pay as well as the larger service companies nor as well as the oil and gas operating companies but you need to get a foot in the door and get oil field experience.

Another option is to look for contract work as an engineer. Search contract engineering jobs on InDeed and find the agencies with contract civl jobs and apply with them

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Engineer View Post
Hi to all,

I'm currently in the search of a job in Houston and I'm running out of options. I'm a Civil Engineer licensed in TX (PE) with 11 years of civil site design experience. I started submitting my resume EVERYWHERE I could, 4 weeks ago and so far the only call I've got is from Career Solutions (Houston) which I've read are a scam and only want me to pay $4,000 for them to "find" me a job. Don't worry I'm not stupid.

So, other than indeed, engineerjobs, careerbuilder, rigzone, monster where else could I look for a job. I've also noticed that many of the postings in these websites are recycled over and over. The same positions get posted week after week. I've submitted to many Fortune 500 companies I can think of in the area and smaller engineering firms as well.

I know that it has only been 4 weeks since I started submitting my resume, but somewhere I read that in Houston, if you can spell e-n-g-i-n-e-e-r you pretty much got a job. I must be doing something wrong cause' so far I've got no replys.

Any headhunters/recruiters that anyone has worked with and can recommend?

Thanks,

Dennis
What is your civil experience in? Is it in the O&G industry?? Successful CivEs in O&G go into Structural or Construction & Capital Project Management. Two very different but high potential career paths. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Year old and were not a job search forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston