Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:05 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Yesterday, I watched a documentary on A&E about the Innocence Project at University of St Thomas in Houston and it gave me the chills. It was talking about people who were wrongfully convicted of crimes they apparently did not commit and were now on death row. I hope this does not offend anybody or discourages people from moving to Texas, but the Texas Justice System, in my opinion can be very unfair, ruthless and just incredibly ignorant. They were talking in particular about a case in Burleson County, where a black man was convicted of murder. Apparently, he did not commit the crime and even the person that confessed clearly stated that he did not commit the crime, the attitude of the county sheriff's office was pretty much like "I dont want to hear it". There was another case in Amarillo about blacks being arrested for crimes they did not commit..etc. I am not your ultra Liberal, but we are not talking about just one case here. To me, this type of backwards mentality is one of the things that would make me think twice before moving back to this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hi all:

Yesterday, I watched a documentary on A&E about the Innocence Project at University of St Thomas in Houston and it gave me the chills. It was talking about people who were wrongfully convicted of crimes they apparently did not commit and were now on death row. I hope this does not offend anybody or discourages people from moving to Texas, but the Texas Justice System, in my opinion can be very unfair, ruthless and just incredibly ignorant. They were talking in particular about a case in Burleson County, where a black man was convicted of murder. Apparently, he did not commit the crime and even the person that confessed clearly stated that he did not commit the crime, the attitude of the county sheriff's office was pretty much like "I dont want to hear it". There was another case in Amarillo about blacks being arrested for crimes they did not commit..etc. I am not your ultra Liberal, but we are not talking about just one case here. To me, this type of backwards mentality is one of the things that would make me think twice before moving back to this state.
we can always improve on any justice system. but hollywood and some activitist groups assertions that most punished people are innocent is just simply not the case. please look again at the glass of water. the glass is still half full, enormous amounts of crime and criminals go unpunished and continue to threaten our communities daily. for every crime that was punished there were 10 or more that were never apprehended or discussed.
its like when you catch somebody telling a lie. do you think its the first time they did it? you have got to practice if you expect to get any good at it.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-21-2007, 09:45 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
You can't paint the entire state of Texas with the same brush. Sure, you will always find examples of that backwards mentality you describe in any area of the country. You are just as likely to find it in New Jersey or Montana as Texas but because it is so egregious, the public scrutiny is more often brought to bare here in Texas as opposed to other parts of the country. We don't tolerate that kind of nonsense here but in other locales it is just the way things are done and have been for generations. It is true that small towns are much slower to change but please don't think that is unique to Texas. The very fact that such mis-applications of justice are reported and scrutinized is far better than all the ones that never see the light of day in other parts of the country.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
*points at Jena, Louisiana*

Here in Texas you just have the guilty-until-proven-innocent mob mentality...just look at the Chron.com article comments...

Old 09-21-2007, 12:03 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
There was a 20/20 investigation about a Texas judge in the 70s or 80s giving a life sentence to a black guy for simply smoking a joint.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:08 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
There was a 20/20 investigation about a Texas judge in the 70s or 80s giving a life sentence to a black guy for simply smoking a joint.
thats one hippie off the streets

Old 09-21-2007, 12:50 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
thats one hippie off the streets
How about we just allow cops to put a bullet in the back of somebody's head for possessing some weed...?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:46 PM

119 posts, read 456,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
How about we just allow cops to put a bullet in the back of somebody's head for possessing some weed...?
Now that's some backward mentality....haha....I do pick up on the sarcasm. I do believe in the death penalty but I also believe it is applied too liberally. I do not believe it is a "backward mentality".

Old 09-21-2007, 04:16 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
caught red handed or just bummed out to smoke it in public? yeah lock them up. and if it so happen that some girl was attacked around the same time and the attacker matches the description of the pothead and he got pulled into some line up while he's locked up then thats tough luck. I highly doubt this will happen to a casual pot smoker that does his thing in private

Old 09-21-2007, 04:40 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
I hate to burst anyone's bubble - but just about every state in the country has a Project Innocense program at a University - it isn't about injustice in Texas - there are injustices done in every state and there are school programs who try to right them. There was even a short lived show about one such project - the tv show was "Injustice".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: