Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:53 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times

Advertisements

Hey guys your pool is still holding GREAT after 4 years. What a piece of art and quality. My regards to Rich and Jane in their retirement and wish you well in your great business. I will continue referring you anywhere I can since you've done such an AWESOME job with my pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDad View Post
Up front, I'm the owner of Flamingo Custom Pools. I've read through this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. This will not be a commercial!

Many pool builders are hard working with good reputations. I agree with one poster, personal references are worth far more than anything, followed by BBB. I speak to some of that in our website.

On the other hand, many are playing the construction ponzi scheme, collecting stage payments then moving to the next project and starting before focusing on finishing yours, etc. Net position may be negative but because they keep moving forward, they have sufficient cash flow. Bad weather hits, crews get delayed and they end up in trouble. That's why there's such a high turnover. I think it was Ethan that posted these guys will reopen under a new name and keep moving.

One good way to determine if you have a reputable pool builder is longevity of the crews. Most are sub contractors and if they're not getting paid, they won't hang around.

While in the past we have worked inside the loop, we tend to focus outside just because of the delays the city of Houston can create which causes frustration for both of us. However, if the customer understands that there may be delays outside our control, we're open to working inside the loop as well.

There's some good ones out there...be careful and pick a winner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:58 AM

828 posts, read 773,239 times
[quote=BUDad;43294644]Up front, I'm the owner of Flamingo Custom Pools. I've read through this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. This will not be a commercial!
![ /QUOTE]

In your opinion who are other quality builders who work on the West side?

Old 03-13-2016, 01:25 PM

Well I guess I can scratch flamingo off the list with communication being important to us

Old 03-13-2016, 08:53 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
Just pick up the phone and call man. You're acting like a child :-) Business is not conducted on forums but rather in person or at least over the phone. Geeeee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Well I guess I can scratch flamingo off the list with communication being important to us

Old 03-14-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Just pick up the phone and call man. You're acting like a child :-)
Now how can a child afford a pool? Seriously man, come up out of the deep end.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,458 times
Hey I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with the forum. What part of the westside? we do work there also.
As far as a recommendation, it really depends on what you're looking for there are several but it boils down to connection with the company and that they build what you're looking for in a pool.
Some builders specialize in lower cost with few features whereas others work on large very custom designs with unique features and can run well into 6 figures.
Connection is important, they're going to spend 4-8 weeks (depending on weather, complications, etc) with your yard in disarray. You need to establish a trust relationship and feel comfortable they will look out for your best interest (this is my opinion since you are spending a significant amount of money, they should treat it as their own and respect your family and surroundings).
Shark01 I'd be glad to discuss with you personally if you'd like, to keep this from being a sales pitch if you go to our website and fill out the contact request we'll be right with you.
I'll try to keep up with this more frequently!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 AM

We live just South of Katy off Mason & 99 (Long Meadow Farms).

Price wise, looking for something in the $60-$70k area
SIZE: 15' X 30' (3.5-6' DEPTH)
LARGE HOT TUB (6-8 PEOPLE) 7.5' DIAMETER
PEBBLE TEC BOTTOM
ROCK WATERFALL W/ SLIDE 8' X 14'
BEACH ENTRY/TANNING SHELF
UPGRADED DECK MATERIAL
TILE ON SIDES
LIGHTING IN POOL - CHANGE COLOR
CAVE (WITH SEAT?) BEHIND WATERFALL
ENCLOSURE OVER PUMPS (on concrete pad) TO KEEP NOISE DOWN
MULTIPLE UMBRELLA SLEEVES, INCLUDING SOME THAT PROVIDE COVER OVER THE POOL

Minimum decking, no landscaping

Something smartly designed (modular so it can be added to every couple of years?) and well built structurally

Old 03-25-2016, 12:25 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,712 times
Quote:
We live just South of Katy off Mason & 99 (Long Meadow Farms).

Price wise, looking for something in the $60-$70k area
SIZE: 15' X 30' (3.5-6' DEPTH)
LARGE HOT TUB (6-8 PEOPLE) 7.5' DIAMETER
PEBBLE TEC BOTTOM
ROCK WATERFALL W/ SLIDE 8' X 14'
BEACH ENTRY/TANNING SHELF
UPGRADED DECK MATERIAL
TILE ON SIDES
LIGHTING IN POOL - CHANGE COLOR
CAVE (WITH SEAT?) BEHIND WATERFALL
ENCLOSURE OVER PUMPS (on concrete pad) TO KEEP NOISE DOWN
MULTIPLE UMBRELLA SLEEVES, INCLUDING SOME THAT PROVIDE COVER OVER THE POOL

Minimum decking, no landscaping

Something smartly designed (modular so it can be added to every couple of years?) and well built structurally
I think you're perhaps a little low on the price to be honest but if you can get it for that, awesome. The waterfall you've specified is quite large and there's quite a lot of money in the waterfall/slide.
We built something similar to what you've described though a little bigger (38' x 24' x 7.5' depth) with a slide/waterfall/grotto, beach entry and about 1,150 sqft of new deck and refinishing another 250 or so of existing deck and we were at $85k a few years back and I think we'd be looking at paying a lot more now. Though I will caveat by saying the decking is a major cost so perhaps that will bring it down. I'd go as large as you can with the deck. You'd be amazed at how much space you end up using.

I'd also advise going deeper than 6' with the waterfall. An adult will hit the bottom hard if they jump off the top (mines about 5-6' high and I touch the bottom when jumping off it in 7.5' water).

We absolutely love having the slide. Our kids are 4.5 and 18 mo and are all about it.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:58 PM

That's why we are reaching out. We can cut things out to meet the budget, or if the design is modular enough can add later. We are paying cash, so the modular approach would be appealing.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,712 times
Quote:
That's why we are reaching out. We can cut things out to meet the budget, or if the design is modular enough can add later. We are paying cash, so the modular approach would be appealing.
Think about if you really want the slide. You could easily build a beautiful pool without the slide for $60-70k.
We had the same decision to make and decided we did really want the slide so I'm not trying to put you off just consider your options as it really will drive the price point. It will cost significantly more if you decided you wanted to add it later though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston