Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM

109 posts, read 140,964 times

Advertisements

hey everyone...this is my first post here so please bare with me if i forgot something or need to provide more info

basically, i have a job opp out in houston that i have to decide on...a couple of factors play into this role:

1)i was born and raised in miami, moved to california on my own when i was around 22/23 and moved back to miami in 2008

2)when i moved back to miami, i moved back into a brand new condo that was built that i had purchased preconstruction, and overlooks the bay/atlantic ocean...little did i know, its in the middle of an area called Brickell, which is now one of the best spots around to hang out and be around...if i moved, i would lease it out as property values are doing very well here and will be rising even more...

3)im about a 3 mile drive to work, no traffic, and like mentioned in # 2, i can basically get home, and walk over to my favorite bars/pubs and walk back...so i dont have to worry about driving much (although i love driving, i just dont like traffic and having to drive under time constraints so i like to just take hour long drives with no real motive)...

4)my parents live in miami, and my brothers live in tampa (apprx 3 hour drive north west of me)...so its easy to just get in the car and drive up to see tampa or go see the folks whenever...lately i have done it more often due to my nephews and niece being 3 and 1, and its just a blast to see them...

5)this particular job opportunity is unique and great for my career, it seems like...long story short, the COO of that company is an ex SVP of the company i still work for...the GM of sales is an ex VP of the company i still work for...and the VP of Technology is an ex VP of the company i still work for...the VP is a friend of mine so thats also a plus...

6)these guys are business savvy...they wouldnt take on an opportunity if they didnt feel or believe that there was potential...so from that perspective, it is a "safe" bet that i would be going into a secure position career wise with nothing to worry about...the company is well established and is doing very well...

with all of that said...i guess im stuck and wondering what houston could offer me to compensate for the lack of having family near me and the ocean near me...it doesnt appear to be that bad of a decision...im assuming i wouldnt be able to maintain the same city life style i have now with what i want there...meaning, i sort of want to get into a townhouse with a 1 or 2 car garage, if at all possible...but also be close enough to work and city life that it wouldnt be a 30+ minute drive just to go have a drink at a bar...naturally it will not be like miami's party life style which im OK with, but i like the accesibility...as for the beaches, ive heard the beaches close to there, ~45 minutes away in galveston, are black sand and murky water...so definitely no comparison lol...on the flip side im guessing it wouldnt be too long of a drive to go to pensacola for a weekend to get "clearer" water but i doubt it would make much of a difference since thats a gulf coast thing from the looks of it...

sorry for the long winded post...just curious to know if anyone had any thoughts/advice with the minimal info i have posted...by all means if you have any additional questions, i am more than happy to answer...

also, as for salary, i would be making the same figure in houston than in miami...so i think that translates to me making more in houston due to cost of living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Welcome to Houston, you need to accept the promotion (lower cost of living and same pay as Miami). You been to the two flyover, too expensive coasts, now is time to try the friendly coast. The people are great and tend to be upbeat, great restaurants that are affordable, its a good business climate so you can be successful if you wish. Come on down...we dont have your family nor a pristine white beach with tourists crowding it, rent your place as long as Miami tourism etc support it but live in a city that works... we make things in Tx... not depend upon tourism and retirees from outside to support our market. It wont be a humid or warm as long as Miami but golf year around in Houston as well as other things you want to do outside.

Where might the work be location wise in Houston if you know that governs where you would want to consider living.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:30 PM

thanks for the response, john...i have a heard a great deal about the restaurants and food there...a ton of variety...so thats a positive thing for me...

looking at a map, the job would be located really close to "gulfton"?...its about 7 miles east of the Sam Houston Tollway?...would like to be in a decent area, where i dont have to drive 30 minutes for a bar/lounge...would also like to be able to be in a place with a 1 or 2 car garage, at minimum...but will have to adjust as needed of course...any suggestions on what areas to look at, if i make this decision?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sla07 View Post
thanks for the response, john...i have a heard a great deal about the restaurants and food there...a ton of variety...so thats a positive thing for me...

looking at a map, the job would be located really close to "gulfton"?...its about 7 miles east of the Sam Houston Tollway?...would like to be in a decent area, where i dont have to drive 30 minutes for a bar/lounge...would also like to be able to be in a place with a 1 or 2 car garage, at minimum...but will have to adjust as needed of course...any suggestions on what areas to look at, if i make this decision?

Look in Midtown and Heights, near downtown and other close in neighbor hood and city hangouts but an easy commute for you to that area. Sounds like you are more a city person than a suburban guy. I am suburban so others who know this area best can better advise, what price range and size are you looking for (is it rental or to buy if rental- rent rates help). Again hope you make it over here and welcome if you do

Old 05-30-2012, 02:36 PM

52 posts, read 139,764 times
Upper Kirby and Galleria area provide the bar/lounge nightlife you're looking for. If you really don't mind a slightly longer drive (maybe 20 mins to Gulfton area) the Heights is packed with lots of bars which are very close to a lot of town home developments. If looking at Google maps, look around Washington Avenue west of downtown.

Oh, and as Johnhw2 pointed out, Midtown is also great....walking distance to bars, not that many town homes as the Heights....but more condos.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Uptown might be the closest you're going to find to Brickell. You really need to research real estate prices. Houston's not as "cheap" as it's reputation claims it to be, if you want to be in the close-in/appreciating/happening areas. It's not Miami-Hayday expensive, but you may be surprised.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM

yea definitely more of a city guy...especially the last few years since i moved back to the area i am in miami...

if purchasing, no more than 200-225k...if renting, i am guessing around 1300-1500 would be my limit...

as for size, minimum of 2/2/1-2...approx 1200sqft+...i dont mind a 3/2 or 3/2.5 but wouldnt be a deal breaker...i currently live in a 1/1, ~770sqft and i am outgrowing this place...so its definitely time for at least a 2/2...would prefer a townhome as well as its not likely to find condo's with garages but would adjust accordingly if need be...

Old 05-30-2012, 02:41 PM

52 posts, read 139,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sla07 View Post
yea definitely more of a city guy...especially the last few years since i moved back to the area i am in miami...

if purchasing, no more than 200-225k...if renting, i am guessing around 1300-1500 would be my limit...

as for size, minimum of 2/2/1-2...approx 1200sqft+...i dont mind a 3/2 or 3/2.5 but wouldnt be a deal breaker...i currently live in a 1/1, ~770sqft and i am outgrowing this place...so its definitely time for at least a 2/2...would prefer a townhome as well as its not likely to find condo's with garages but would adjust accordingly if need be...

200-225K would get you a very nice town home....even a brand spankin' new one!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster10154 View Post
Upper Kirby and Galleria area provide the bar/lounge nightlife you're looking for. If you really don't mind a slightly longer drive (maybe 20 mins to Gulfton area) the Heights is packed with lots of bars which are very close to a lot of town home developments. If looking at Google maps, look around Washington Avenue west of downtown.

Oh, and as Johnhw2 pointed out, Midtown is also great....walking distance to bars, not that many town homes as the Heights....but more condos.
interesting...will look in those areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Uptown might be the closest you're going to find to Brickell. You really need to research real estate prices. Houston's not as "cheap" as it's reputation claims it to be, if you want to be in the close-in/appreciating/happening areas. It's not Miami-Hayday expensive, but you may be surprised.
thanks...assuming you are from miami or are aware of the brickell area?...

definitely need to do some research on this...id be interested to understand how the prices range in these respective areas, comparatively speaking...

Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster10154 View Post
200-225K would get you a very nice town home....even a brand spankin' new one!
but would it be in general vicinity areas that im looking for...thats the question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston