Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM

11 posts, read 19,126 times

Advertisements

I havent found many threads for this area, does anyone know first or even second hand about it? I know many of you recommend south of I10 but I am leery of renting a home that is 20+ yrs old. I do not want to be near any section 8 if possible. No offense to anyone. Im moving from Flint, MI so a little crime doesnt phase me. At this point anything is better. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Don't be nervous - those 20+ houses south of I-10 are usually in better shape than most of the thrown-together new housing stock in the same price point. They also have less rent houses. When a neighborhood has too many rentals, that is not a good thing for the schools, crime, etc. I am not saying renters are bad - it's that the neighborhood is more transitional overall; the odds are bad about some landlords being slumlords and accepting anyone, etc.

A neighborhood with 150 homeowners and 10 renters looks very much different than when one is 90 homeowners and 70 renters.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,884 times
Default Sure I work in that area

Lakes of Bridgewater has been around since about 1994. The Kids go to Katy ISD schools (yeah!!!!) Golbow Elementary, Mcdonald Middle School and Morton Ranch High School. the area is diversified but predominately Hispanic 50% then White 25% and Black 22% with a few asian people too 5%.

The homes all have a modern appearance with 2 car garages attached and in front of the house. Most of the homes are on a smaller 5500 sq ft lot and are a little bunched together. Also there are few stores in the area. you wil have to go down about 3 miles SOUTH ACCROSS THE I - 10 to the better side of Katy (haha) to get to the shopping and food etc but it is not that far. The nearest Walmart is about 10 minutes away at Fry and I-10 also there is one on Katy- Fort Bend rd

It is not a bad area and the crime is low (extremely low compared to Flint) and the area is a quiet residential area on the outskirts of town but you also have all of the amenities nearby IE. Katy Mills Mall, Mason Rd. Fry Rd all within 10 minutes.

Travel will be improved when the Grand Parkway which is under construction right down the road from Lakes Of Bridgewater is completed.

Lakes of Bridgewater has a community pool, parks and a beautiful rock pond and fountain at the entrance.

I would recommend it to you as I have to several others. This area is waaaay! cheaper than going south of the 10 and is not that far away from all of the amenities

Again, I will say that especially if you have kids you will be better off on the South Side on the 10 because the schools are better and you will be in the middle of the action. All of the Schools South of the I-10 in Katy are perfect schools (Upper Class Area). They are somehow magically blessed with mostly gifted and talented students that ace the SAT test and get accepted into Harvard, Texas A & M, UT and Rice then become Engineers and Doctors. The 3 Great High Schools ( Seven lakes, Cinco Ranch and Taylor) are all top rated High Schools.they are like feeder roads for the great university highway.

Only on a rare ocasion is a crime committed South of the I-10. It is like a walled in Citadel that is shielded from the problems that occur in Houston. OK, OK thats enough said about that. Yes I recommend lakes Of Bridgewater.

Last edited by jd433; 05-31-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 19,126 times
Default Thank you both for the great info

Cheryl, I know exactly what you mean by the appearance and feel of an owner neighborhood vs a rental. My son is half hispanic so it will be nice to have a little diversity in the new school. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiAKMi View Post
Cheryl, I know exactly what you mean by the appearance and feel of an owner neighborhood vs a rental. My son is half hispanic so it will be nice to have a little diversity in the new school. Thanks for the info.
Hispanic/white/asian/black - Houston is diverse - period. Some areas more than others - but I think the city may be rare, whenever I talk to people coming in from other places.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,684 times
I actually was raised in Lakes of Bridgewater.. there is a long standing "joke" that north of 10 is "the other side of the tracks" (because there used to be railroad tracks along I-10) because it is not as nice neighborhood wise as south of 10. But I will admit it is not as bad as some people make it sound.

Though, I would recommend south of 10 if I had to choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston