Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

OK, so I wanted to explore a bit more this morning, since my work event is not til 3 in the afternoon.

Got up at 8am and was on the raod by 9am. Hit the first Starbucks I saw, got my morning fix and hit the open road....... to Pasadena.

OK, i couldn't help but notice all of the oil refineries on the sides of the freeway as I approached Pasadena. (someone mentioned I should check it out).... It smelled gross and looked ugly. I was disappointed how the oil refineries made everything seem so ugh! Because otherwise, I bet it's a beautiful area and it seems ruined by these refineries. Now, I know Houston is built on the oil and gas industries, but geeeez, I feel like it sacrifices some of the natureal beauty. And it smelled!!! c'moooon. Can't they locate these things like 50 miles away from the city or something?

ANNNNYWAY. Pasadena was like just OK. I mean, there wasn't a lot to see.
Unless I missed something? I'm very intrigued by Texas, only because I hear things like "don't mess with Texas" and "god bless Texas" and always hear just random stuff about it.

It's a bright beautiful sunny day here too. Not too hot to be honest, considering it's the first day of June. Don't get me wrong it's nice and warm, but not oppressively hot, which is surprising.

Anyonme have any ideas where I should check out? The lady at the front desk mentioned I check out the zoo and museums..... I mean...I can see a zoo anywhere, that's not something uniquely Houston....same with museums..I can see them anywhere...

where is there to see in Houston that is uniquely Houston or uniquely "Texas" that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks guys and gals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
How about you just go to the point?
You don't want to see ugly areas, you only want to see "beautiful areas with natural beauty"

If that's what you want, visit "The Woodlands"
If you drink and want to be in a "pretty place" go to "The Goose's acre" at The Woodlands.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times
I suspect the mention of the zoos and museums was not necessarily just to go in them, the Museum District/Hermann Park/Rice University is one of the prettier spots within the city of Houston.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
I suspect the mention of the zoos and museums was not necessarily just to go in them, the Museum District/Hermann Park/Rice University is one of the prettier spots within the city of Houston.
I was actually at rice university yesterday....and will be there again today for work.... the neighborhoods surrounding it are indeed beautiful...

very stately and well-kept neighborhoods

i wonder if those houses are expensive. ?

hmm, i mean compared to the northeast for example. btw, I live in philadelphia now, however grew up in florida. Have only moved to philly about 8 months ago, so i still consider myself a floridian....tho i live in philly

Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
OK, so I wanted to explore a bit more this morning, since my work event is not til 3 in the afternoon.

Got up at 8am and was on the raod by 9am. Hit the first Starbucks I saw, got my morning fix and hit the open road....... to Pasadena.

OK, i couldn't help but notice all of the oil refineries on the sides of the freeway as I approached Pasadena. (someone mentioned I should check it out).... It smelled gross and looked ugly. I was disappointed how the oil refineries made everything seem so ugh! Because otherwise, I bet it's a beautiful area and it seems ruined by these refineries. Now, I know Houston is built on the oil and gas industries, but geeeez, I feel like it sacrifices some of the natureal beauty. And it smelled!!! c'moooon. Can't they locate these things like 50 miles away from the city or something?

ANNNNYWAY. Pasadena was like just OK. I mean, there wasn't a lot to see.
Unless I missed something? I'm very intrigued by Texas, only because I hear things like "don't mess with Texas" and "god bless Texas" and always hear just random stuff about it.

It's a bright beautiful sunny day here too. Not too hot to be honest, considering it's the first day of June. Don't get me wrong it's nice and warm, but not oppressively hot, which is surprising.

Anyonme have any ideas where I should check out? The lady at the front desk mentioned I check out the zoo and museums..... I mean...I can see a zoo anywhere, that's not something uniquely Houston....same with museums..I can see them anywhere...

where is there to see in Houston that is uniquely Houston or uniquely "Texas" that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks guys and gals!
Ahhh, the smell of money. Seriously, you can't compare pasadena to the rest of the city, that side of town is like the armpit of houston. If you want to do some exploring, you need to go to like the museum district, uptown/galleria area, montrose, the heights, washington ave(to get drunk) memorial park, downtown tunnel system, discover green. Why did you think it was a good idea to go to the industrial part of town?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,359 times
You should try visiting the Height, Galleria Area, Katy, Stafford, & Sugarland. Houston is so large & each area has its own culture. You just have to explore it more and make new friends. You will love it eventually

Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Ahhh, the smell of money. Seriously, you can't compare pasadena to the rest of the city, that side of town is like the armpit of houston. If you want to do some exploring, you need to go to like the museum district, uptown/galleria area, montrose, the heights, washington ave(to get drunk) memorial park, downtown tunnel system, discover green. Why did you think it was a good idea to go to the industrial part of town?
LOL, I dunno..someone told me to check out pasadena.
wow, maybe they were BSing me lol

Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times
Quote:
I was actually at rice university yesterday....and will be there again today for work.... the neighborhoods surrounding it are indeed beautiful...

very stately and well-kept neighborhoods

i wonder if those houses are expensive. ?

hmm, i mean compared to the northeast for example. btw, I live in philadelphia now, however grew up in florida. Have only moved to philly about 8 months ago, so i still consider myself a floridian....tho i live in philly
The big houses immediately around Rice University are in the millions. There is one for sale across the street from the Fine Arts Museum which is listed for $3.8 mil. The less gigantic houses in that general area probably run from $700k to $2 mil depending on age and size. As you move over towards Kirby, prices may moderate a little bit until you cross into West University where they go back up.

If I was in Houston and wanted to do a little driving tour in the city, I'd probably drive around that Rice/Hermann/Museum District a bit, I'd head over to River Oaks and take a drive down Lazy Lane, Inwood and River Oaks Boulevard to see how the fabulously wealthy live. I'd ride down Allen Parkway into the city, check out the theater district and head over near Discovery Green, walk around the Phoenician and grab a bite to eat in their restaurant. Cross the highway into the East End, see the new Dynamo stadium and the development of the East End in general, head over to the Heights for a whole different feel of Houston.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,542 times
Quote:
LOL, I dunno..someone told me to check out pasadena.
wow, maybe they were BSing me lol
lol you went to a industral area and was suprised it smelled, that like going to the rail yards and being suprised it loud...but live and learn , it takes time to get the feel on any new city

Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
I think she meant there is so much variety in types of places around Houston like you have Pasadena which is all industrial and full of refineries then you can go to The Woodlands which is trees and more trees. I suggest you go check out Kemah and the Clear Lake area then head up to The Woodlands and take a walk along the waterway then head over to the Galleria and check it out and walk to the adjacent Williams Tower and see the waterfall. Go to Ragin Cajun and get a bucket of crawfish before the season ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston