U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2012, 02:56 PM

563 posts, read 422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Of course it is Texas and nothing in that area is "garish or over the top" display -- so it sort of fits with the rest of the campus. If people want "over the top" they can go to the Galleria area. It will be a fine addition and nice that people can go inside of it and take a look around. Of course, I like living in that general area because in all honesty and I found residents to be a bit less snotty and pretentious than other areas of Houston - even those with a great deal of wealth. It's a more laid-back vibe. Not sure why that is. I'm in Houston all day 5-days a week and some evening activities as well - I like Houston and its amenities, dining, theatre, museums, etc but I sort of enjoy doing things in the Clear Lake area on weekends and getting away from Houston (while still in the greater Houston area).

Nice pics Ethan. I got one similar mid-day as I was going somewhere and passed by and snapped with my phone while at the light, but yours are much nicer.
Not to mention that Clear Lake and the surrounding areas don't have anywhere near the crime they have inside the loop.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 03:04 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,765,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Of course it is Texas and nothing in that area is "garish or over the top" display -- so it sort of fits with the rest of the campus. If people want "over the top" they can go to the Galleria area. It will be a fine addition and nice that people can go inside of it and take a look around. Of course, I like living in that general area because in all honesty and I found residents to be a bit less snotty and pretentious than other areas of Houston - even those with a great deal of wealth. It's a more laid-back vibe. Not sure why that is. I'm in Houston all day 5-days a week and some evening activities as well - I like Houston and its amenities, dining, theatre, museums, etc but I sort of enjoy doing things in the Clear Lake area on weekends and getting away from Houston (while still in the greater Houston area).

Nice pics Ethan. I got one similar mid-day as I was going somewhere and passed by and snapped with my phone while at the light, but yours are much nicer.
Not saying there is anything wrong with the area as a place to live in, but as an attraction stop for Tourists??? Nope.

It is nothing to shout about, it is far from the center of the city, there is public transportation to it, but the bus doesn't go anywhere else. It is just a flop of a location to house the shuttle.

If the display aspect of the Space Center was in the Museum District then the visitorship would certainly jump ten fold. People could visit the center, the museums, Hermann Park, the Zoo, Rice University, The Japanes Gardens, The Rose Gardens, Play a round of Golf, and all the while being close to a bite in Montrose, or a quick train stop to Downtown, or live entertainment.

Take a bus to the Space Center and you are stuck at the Space Center until the bus comes back to take you back to downtown. Not a good package deal, considering the Space Center isn't all that.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:04 PM

448 posts, read 259,899 times
I am also glad that, with this replica, people will be allowed to go inside.&nbsp; On the other point, I'm not a big fan of snotty and pretentious, but, I'm not sure the Galleria area (or anywhere else in Houston) is as representative of that as one can find elsewhere.&nbsp; (Sorry, North Texas friends, but how can we mere Houstonians compete in that with North Dallas?)<br><br>I just wish our congressional delegation were more united and pro-active in looking out after Houston-area interests.&nbsp; That's been a problem since the 70s, at least.<br>

Old 06-02-2012, 03:09 PM

6,398 posts, read 9,333,612 times
JSC has always been part of the Clear Lake community and for the most part it's residents love it and embrace it. Glam it up and it doesn't fit with the community - tourists come as they flock to Landry-ville in Kemah. Space Center Houston has a lot of stuff for kids - overnight camps, day camps so it gives some summer time fun to kids - probably more so to those who live nearby and can take advantage of that stuff, but again that sort of goes with being part of the local community.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 PM

3,479 posts, read 2,984,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
When Brown and Root bid that job, they had 6 months lead time on anybody else, thanks to their relationship with Lyndon. Working on those roads paid DH's way through school.

Rumor was that Lady Bird owned the land. I never believed it.
I believe the land history is the site was originally part of the Silver Dollar Jim West Ranch (his old ranch house is now the Lunar Planetary Institute). Jim West sold the minerals to Humble oil and when his wife wanted to move to River Oaks and get out of the "boonies" he threw the surface in for additional consideration. Humble developed Friendswood Gas Field from the mineral rights and years later donated the land to Rice who donated it to the US gov for JSC. The surrounding land became CLC and Friendswood Development was named for the gas field as this was their first planned community.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:50 PM

448 posts, read 259,899 times
Thanks for the background. I had a vague recollection that Humble or Humble executives had been involved. It always seemed to be mentioned in such a way as to suggest their was some kind of corruption involved. Of course, deals involving LBJ and/or Brown or others often invoked such suspicions.

I have a vague childhood memory of seeing West's mansion when the MSC was being built. The area seemed very remote and pristeen at the time. I also remember visiting family friends who lived on Clear Creek, upstream of the lake. Wow, very beautiful ... clean water overhung by ancient live oaks. I dunno if it's still like that, perhaps Bastrop Bayou down the coast still is.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 AM

237 posts, read 322,793 times
NASA required each location (city) to submit a plan for how they would display and integrate the shuttle EDUCATIONALLY. Essentially, NASA did not want a location to just stick the shuttle on display like just about every other piece in an air and space museum and leave it at that. They wanted the shuttle to be the center of an EXHIBIT, not just decoration. Decisions as to which cities would get a shuttle was based on THAT, not any sort of "connection" to the Shuttle program

1. Former Shuttle astronaut Mark Kelly, who served on the committee who awarded the Shuttles said that L.A.'s planned exhibit for the Shuttle was by far the best of all submitted plans, and he did come to Los Angeles a few months ago (to the Science Center) and enthusiastically reaffirmed his support for the Shuttle coming to Los Angels and it superior exhibit.

2.The Shuttle was designed and built in CA near Edwards Air Force base (just outside of Los Angeles) with several CA contractors, and key aeronautic contractors based out of the LA headquarters of offices for those headquartered out of CA. The prototype "Enterprise" was unveiled to the world where she was built and designed, just outside of L.A at Edwards Air Force Base.

"We believe that we best met NASA’s criteria. We are dedicated to science learning and education and have an international reputation for high quality exhibits. Studies show that the Science Center is very effective at fulfilling its mission. California has a strong historic connection to the shuttles, as all of the orbiters were built in southern California." -From the CA Science Center website.

3.The Los Angeles area was also the alternative landing site (Edwards Air Force Base) for all Shuttles when Florida weather did not permit a Shuttle landing, and there were quite a few landings just north of LA, sonic boom and all.

Essentially, CA and more specifically, LA created the shuttle, was the site of several landings and has an extremely deep connection to the Shuttle.

However, Houston's role as Mission Control is significant, and it just seems right that Houston should get a Shuttle, but considering NASA's standards for awarding the Shuttle, the question should be why Houston didn't come up with a winning proposal? It just may be that things like that happen and perhaps blame ought to be with the individual or group or institution responsible for submitting the proposal of how they planned to exhibit the Shuttle. Most often in life, it is our own incompetence that is to blame for our failure. I think that somehow, Houston just dropped the ball on this, but every city drops the ball on something, so it doesn't mean that Houston is any better or worse than any other city in regards to getting together a really good plan, and have to compete with so many other cites, there were bound to be losers.

I think Houston is big enough to move on. The lack of a Shuttle has absolutely no effect on Houston's status or seemingly good future. Houston will bag something else when the time is right.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:31 PM

1,984 posts, read 2,336,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If the fake one is as accessible and can be used to see what the interior looked like, I dont take issue with having a fake. I dont miss tourism, its over rated in my book. But to each their own
I won't miss the traffic on my way to the lab Friday when I make my Monday afternoon lab run...

I'm not hatin', though it may come across as such, but the newsies with their vans and crowd piled up over there by the Hilton for that? Yawn.

At least I had a clear right turn coming off Space Center onto Nasa Road 1. I can hate closing it down to one lane right there, though...

Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 PM

6,398 posts, read 9,333,612 times
It's really ugly -- it looks pasted together.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:13 PM

3,666 posts, read 3,065,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I believe the land history is the site was originally part of the Silver Dollar Jim West Ranch (his old ranch house is now the Lunar Planetary Institute). Jim West sold the minerals to Humble oil and when his wife wanted to move to River Oaks and get out of the "boonies" he threw the surface in for additional consideration. Humble developed Friendswood Gas Field from the mineral rights and years later donated the land to Rice who donated it to the US gov for JSC. The surrounding land became CLC and Friendswood Development was named for the gas field as this was their first planned community.
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston