Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:15 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,566,142 times

Advertisements

This is not a good sign for the Meyerland area over the last yr there have been a rise in home burglaries I live about 1 1/2 mile away

While an elderly couple slept inside their Meyerland home Saturday night, investigators say someone broke in and burglarized the home.

The incident happened between late Saturday and early Sunday on Ariel Street. The couple didn't discover the crime until they woke up the next day.

Precinct 5 Constable deputies said it's unclear how the burglars got in but several hundred dollars worth of electronics, three sets of keys, and a 2006 Toyota Avalon were stolen.

The car was recovered a short time later and investigators have the name of a possible suspect, but no arrest has been made.

"You know, if you got a couple burglars in your house walking around at night while you're sleeping -- that's a very scary thing," said J.J. Laine, Assistant Chief with Precinct 5.

People who live in the Meyerland neighborhood are scared. Many of them hadn't heard about what happened when asked Wednesday.

"We're always on the lookout," said Sam Lee. "If we see anything, we'll let our neighbors know."

Investigators said that's the best thing you can do, adding that it's likely these thieves roam the neighborhood at night looking for their next victim.

"People should know, first of all, keep your house locked. Be observant," said Laine.

If you see anything report it to the Constable's Office immediately.

"We'll send someone to check it out," Laine said.

From KPRC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,738,169 times
I thought crime started to get bad around Hurricane Ike; they were busting into cars and Apts in my Medical Center Apt. They also tried to steal my minivan.

Yeah, I liked Meyerland, if I bought a home I'd buy it there. But in my Chicago house we're kinda theft proof because we have bars on our windows; thieves can't break in our windows.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,064,029 times
Meyerland had a worse problem in the late 1980s, until they added private patrols.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,047,110 times
Meyerland has private patrols. Thankfully no one was hurt. They are clearly targeting people in Meyerland (lots of older people and lots of money). Neighbors watch out for your neighbors. It is worth it to be a night owl every once in awhile (movement in the home, people coming and going, lights on)

adopt a dog!

area is still very safe, but this ring has found a spot they like

Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,594,555 times
The patrol units don't seem to be dithering thieves from breaking into homes in the Meyerland area.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,003 times
Not a good sign for Meyerland? I beg to differ... every city has crime, but not every city has criminals that are considerate enough to not wake you while they rob you.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,566,142 times
Meyerland Willow Meadows Willowbend all have a patrols but after like 9pm they pretty much stop. If these criminals drive around the neighborhood enough they can learn the schedule of the officers they will know the best times to hit the neighborhood

Old 06-07-2012, 01:03 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,168,665 times
Well, you might say it's a good sign for neighboring communities if they stay in Meyerland. You can open the paper every day and see the same story about virtually any hood in Houston. What makes this one stick out in your mind, other than, maybe, you live there?

just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,064,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Meyerland Willow Meadows Willowbend all have a patrols but after like 9pm they pretty much stop. If these criminals drive around the neighborhood enough they can learn the schedule of the officers they will know the best times to hit the neighborhood
Then... make the night patrols occur after 9 PM?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,047,110 times
DJBoutit left Westbury off. We have area patrols too. Like the other areas i'm sure, the program isn't funded all that great. Hopefully that'll change with this. I see constables driving around past 9pm in the area but I am assuming it isn't the same as the daytime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston