Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:02 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
well to be fair, NYC has way more visitors/tourist/walkers(as opposed to drivers) that fill the streets (and drop a few things), way more street fairs and parades. more shops, convenience stores, retails/wholesale stores, street vendors, warehouses, 'fashion district' and every thing that defines 'the city that never sleeps'. you got more receipts, plastic bags, confetti, napkins, coffee cups, chewing gum etc. and weather also promotes eating while walking, coffee/dining on sidewalks, coffee/breakfast on the go, eating at the building facade.
if you focus on the cause of the mess, things by the gutter don't really mean dirtiness but liveliness.
Right, exactly my point, people focus on the greatness of the city because of its status and excuses its faults. It still doesn't change the fact that its still a dirty city.

I guess one could make the same argument about the ugly areas in Houston. They're caused by a combination of homeless, stray thugs walking around, and drugs (something that most major cities struggles with). I mean it may be negative livliness but it is liveliness right?

Go around the nicer areas of Houston where you don't see all the thugs walking up and down the streets doing dope. Take a look around and those areas don't look bad.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Right, exactly my point, people focus on the greatness of the city because of its status and excuses its faults. It still doesn't change the fact that its still a dirty city.

I guess one could make the same argument about the ugly areas in Houston. They're caused by a combination of homeless, stray thugs walking around, and drugs (something that most major cities struggles with). I mean it may be negative livliness but it is liveliness right?

Go around the nicer areas of Houston where you don't see all the thugs walking up and down the streets doing dope. Take a look around and those areas don't look bad.
well, not exactly my point. anything can be ugly if you focus on the wrong things. like cankle or statements from beauty pagents. or our printer area in the office is dirty. heck trading floors are dirty
I didnt mention anything about the greatness or status of NYC. just plain human activity and the weather.
I dont consider Houston (downtown) to be ugly just plain and a empty(people), some areas are just 'waiting for development'. Houstons street bums dont hide, I agree. there are no alley/subways/churches to duck into, and no police to stop them from bugging you. the reachout/feeding areas seem to be parking lots and in plain view. extended periods of sunny days doesnt help because things look so dusty.
what thugs walking? in houston? those are probably not thugs but Metro bus patrons :P

Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,551 times
Quote:
Well California is known for its beauty and great weather. That's why its so hellified expensive. Can anyone think of any other cities in any other state besides in CA that are known for their beauty?
Boston is quite beautiful....an architectural feast.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Dallas probably is cleaner but I take it you've neevr been to South Dallas/Oak Cliffe areas. Very dirty, ghetto, and unattractive.

Since we're talking about cleanliness, Houston's streetscape is cleaner than New York, Philly, and Chicago. Are those cities considered ugly? They probably are but people play favorites to those cities because those cities are recognized more and held at higher status.
No, they are recongnized because they, along with a handful of other U.S. cities, are superior to Houston in nearly every way, shape and form.

Houston's a wretched pit. Admit it.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
No, they are recongnized because they, along with a handful of other U.S. cities, are superior to Houston in nearly every way, shape and form.

Houston's a wretched pit. Admit it.
So what exactly is superior? Tell me exactly what about Houston that YOU personally know of is a wretched pit (and don't say everything!) I know NYC and Chicago are superior in terms of their downtown but I personally don't like overcrowded areas where everyone lives on top of one another.

I want you to tell me what Houston doesn't offer and what i'm supposed to be admitting to. Otherwise, i'm going to take you for a typical ignorant Houston bashing troll that you're appearing to be.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,176,267 times
I just moved to Houston 3 days ago...and I think the people here are just wonderful. Everyone is friendly- and I don't think it's on the surface. Really. I have lived in many places in USA and a little bit in Canada- and the people here are the friendliest I have met. This is from someone who never wanted to move to Houston!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:24 PM

67 posts, read 238,188 times
Wink Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniec78 View Post
As you know, most New Englanders are not friendly at all.
That's funny, coming from a MAssh*le! As you know, they're so superior to the rest of us unwashed provincials up north.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Edited. I go in peace.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 PM

88 posts, read 301,069 times
I have always considered the highway stacks, on the partially flat alluvial plain that Houston sits on, to be a great way to view the city as well as from the Chase and Transco Towers. Because Houston is so 'flat' it makes it very easy to see the entire city and its 6+ skylines that would've been forced to be built inside downtown had the no-zoning law not existed. Trees and vegetation of all kinds (coniferous, deciduous, tropical) exist here as well and are absolutely gorgeous to me (but no one else ever seems to think that this is an impressive attribute).

Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniec78 View Post
I'm leaving for Houston this coming Thursday and by reading most of the responses on here it seems Houston is completely lousy. I currently live in Massachusetts and I'm excited to be heading to Houston because I hear people in TX are very friendly. After reading so many threads on here I'm getting the feeling Houston is an ugly city, the people are not nice at all, and it's a bad place to live. Is this true or are these threads just being written by negative people? I would appreciate any feedback on the city. I plan on being in the city for about 6 months or so. I don't think I'm going to be there beyond that amount of time but since I am heading there I'm curious if it's as bad as so many people on here state it is.
All right, getting back to your point. What is an ugly city? I'm assuming you have to define it as the entire city being ugly in appearance or is it about people's attitude? Where would that be? I can think of a few and does not include Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston