U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 AM

372 posts, read 499,597 times
Default Pleasure pier in Galveston vs kemah boardwalk

I've been to Kemah boardwalk. How different is pleasure pier from this? They seem to be similar and may not be worth a 1.5 hour drive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,457,508 times
I've been to the boardwalk numerous times (live nearby)... from the pleasure pier website it looks like it will have a very similar mix of rides. The rollercoaster looks like a nice little steel coaster... some may prefer the old school wooden coaster in Kemah. The rest of the rides are pretty generic. PP looks to have one of those boat-splash rides that KB doesnt... KB has a freefall drop ride that PP doesn't. All in all, they are going to be very similar. Nice thing about the PP though is there is more to do and see in Galveston than there is in the Clear Lake area.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM

602 posts, read 604,881 times
The pier is an amusement park. If you don't want to ride anything there really isn't anything to do. They have rides, carnival type games, food kiosks and a gift shop. Not even close to what Kemah Boardwalk is. Not really anywhere to just walk and enjoy the view or sit either. The rides line the sides of the pier with the walkway down the middle. That said, I enjoy rides and had a good time there.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 AM

34 posts, read 38,792 times
I wish the KB was left alone instead of Tilman Fertitta turning it all into a circus.....

Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM

183 posts, read 460,584 times
I was just there. I think it makes for a really nice tourist attraction for Galveston...something new and different for the island. It is a bit pricey. There is a $10 admission for adults and I think it was $8 dollars for children plus tax just to walk on the pier. In addition to the admission fee, if you plan to ride several rides, the unlimited ride fee was about $22. I heard there is a parking fee for their lot across the street from the pier (we were lucky to find free on-street parking ). Several of the rides have not opened yet. There are rides for young children as well as arcade games, several candy/sweets type concessions/stores. There are food concessions including a Bubba Gumps where you can order at the window and sit outside. They do have benches to sit throughout the pier.

I think the Kemah location offers more in the way of entertainment, and food as well as view, however, if you find yourself on the island and want something to do, the Pleasure Pier can be alot of fun.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:48 PM

602 posts, read 604,881 times
The pier admission fee isn't required if you get the all day ride pass. If you pay an admission fee and then decide you want the ride pass, you just pay the difference. The lot across the street is $10 for three hours and $2 an hour after that with a maximum of $16. If you spend $25 or more at fish tales or Bubba Gump you get 3 hours free.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM

183 posts, read 460,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
The pier admission fee isn't required if you get the all day ride pass. If you pay an admission fee and then decide you want the ride pass, you just pay the difference. The lot across the street is $10 for three hours and $2 an hour after that with a maximum of $16. If you spend $25 or more at fish tales or Bubba Gump you get 3 hours free.
Jason, just went to the website, I was explained the admission wrong, you are correct about the prices. We just paid the walk on fee....didn't end up upgrading to the all day unlimited rides since there was not enough rides open to interest my group.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 PM

2,215 posts, read 4,637,410 times
I liked Kemah before they built the Boardwalk. Anyone remember Ups? However, I think the PP is a great addition to Galveston. The Flagship looked so shabby it was time to go even before Ike.
We bought the all day ticket and left for lunch and shopping on the Strand then came back when it was cooler. We did street parking and it was free.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM

24 posts, read 43,349 times
Been thrice to the PP, noticed there is a lot of foreigners (chinese, ukranians, and so forth) manning the rides and the concessions, whats' up[????, I am going again tonite, so I can talk to them, I do like the shark ride

Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM

5,477 posts, read 7,294,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperpilot View Post
Been thrice to the PP, noticed there is a lot of foreigners (chinese, ukranians, and so forth) manning the rides and the concessions, whats' up[????, I am going again tonite, so I can talk to them, I do like the shark ride
That's very specific. I'd say you have a gift for identifying nationalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston