Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2006, 04:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

All I can say is

Ad asks Houstonians to arm themselves against evacuees
4:53 PM CDT on Thursday, September 21, 2006

Associated Press

HOUSTON - A radio commercial for a local gun shop advises Houstonians to arm themselves against "Katricians," adding to the growing tension between Houstonians and the Katrina evacuees who have been blamed for a rising crime rate.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:33 AM..

Old 09-21-2006, 05:16 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,732 times
Glad I am not going to Houston. That is pretty sad though if not true.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:32 PM

95 posts, read 434,482 times
I live far enough north of houston not to feel the effects of this, and it makes me sad to read- doesn't surprise me- but makes me sad. I DO know from friends I have on the Houston PD there has been a large increase in the crime rate- but to make a blanket statement to associate all katrina evacs like that is just wrong. I have heard that some people who have relocated here have to not mention they came from New Orleans in job interviews or they will be passed over. It is a problem that needs to be addressed for sure, I don't really think that ad is the right way to go about it- obviously- but a huge problem nonetheless. A city as big as Houston that was already busting at the seams to take in a quarter of a million more of the nation's poorest citizens causes an economic issue that needs to be looked at and solved with REAL solutions- not guns.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:41 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Just a quick note on this. I haven't heard this ad but saw something about it (I think) on CNN while waiting for a flight the other day. Sounds like shock jock stuff for sure and drumming up business for the gunshop owner. That being said it is ones' right to protect themselves and their family, with deadly force if necessary. And to not be prepared to do so is irresponsible and immoral IMHO!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:45 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
This just perpetuates the Texas redneck stereotype. Part of the reason I left.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 27,609 times
Not ALL people who carry guns are Rednecks! I am a proud gun owner of several guns and I am definitely NOT a Redneck - just a city girl living in the real world of crime and violence. I was raised around guns and have carried one for protection since I was 16 years old. Get real - it's a tough world and I will protect myself anyway I can. You shouldn't be worried about a law abiding citizen with a licensed hand gun - you should be more concerned about all the criminals that have illegal (and illegally obtained) guns! They are giving the licensed, responsible gun owners a bad name. FREEDOM OF SPEECH and THE RIGHT TO BARE ARMS - America - Love it or Leave it! Jim Pruett has every right to speak his mind and carry his gun! More power to him!

Old 09-25-2006, 04:51 PM

105 posts, read 147,190 times
The right to BARE arms? LOL You think there's a law that says arms have to be covered up? Maybe you meant BEAR arms. Its obvious that you haven't really read the constitution - and you're just passing along something someone told you the constitution said. You say you're not a Redneck? Let's see you probably still support Tom DeLay and Bush - Moderator cut: personal attack

Old 09-25-2006, 11:47 PM
neo

18 posts, read 206,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
The right to BARE arms? LOL You think there's a law that says arms have to be covered up? Maybe you meant BEAR arms. Its obvious that you haven't really read the constitution - and you're just passing along something someone told you the constitution said. You say you're not a Redneck? Let's see you probably still support Tom DeLay and Bush - Moderator cut: personal attack
This sophistic attack by fish2026 (apparently still a supporter of Bill "I-did-not-have-sex-with-that-woman" Clinton) is very typical of how liberals react to someone who has an opinion different from their own. They get on their high horse and preach about how "intolerant" others are, but as soon as they hear something they don't agree with, they resort to personal attacks (in this case, one that a moderator had to edit because it was so vitriolic). "Oh, but we're only intolerant of intolerance," they reply. (As though that makes it any less hypocritical.) So, believing in the right to bear arms is intolerant? Give me a break!!

Moreover, the implication here is that the Constitution (spelled with a capital "C" by the way) does not provide for the right in question. Of course, it certainly does, as I think fish2026 knows perfectly well. And just because someone misspells a word when writing about the Consitution does not mean they haven't read it.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:01 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Even assuming that one has the personal right to gun ownership (which is certainly not settled law and if anything the case law has found the opposite), this does not mean that people should be encouraging citizens to arm themselves against poor, mostly black, evacuees from New Orleans. I have the right to do many things, doesn’t mean it is responsible or the correct course of action. Mass numbers of urban dwellers arming themselves to the teeth has the makings of explosive and dangerous situations.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default Thread Closed

This thread has digressed into personal attacks. Remember, placing labels on people does not win a debate. If you want to continue this debate, then please do so in Other Topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston