U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,776,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Your flawed in the sense that you just said the citizens should have the say in how their taxes are spent , which is what this up coming vote will be about, letting the citizens decided if they want to continue are dis-continue this project.. the article deals with developers wanting to by pass a vote by going to the state if they don,t get their way, that too is disregarding the will of the tax payers.. as for providing services if metro where not devoting funds to other things, maybe we would have had a commuter rail to the outside areas already, which is kinda the whole point of metro arugument
No, the flaw here is your inability to comprehend that the area subject to the Metro tax includes various and distinct subsets of citizens (Houston/Katy/Humble/Missouri City/etc) and you are saying that one subset of citizens should be able to decide on behalf of all subsets.

The whole reason for the revenue sharing agreement in the first place is to address the interests of ALL those subsets. Metro does not really want to have to provide services to those other areas and it was easier for them to just cut a check to them and let them use it for their own projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Lol, you have it wrong. Besides, people who went to the meetings have said the citizens were in favor of Metro, while the politicians and special interest people wanted Houston to continue oaving everything. The judge then apparently asked some politicians if they would ignore the vote of the people and they said "no comment". The citizens voted for it, they should get it. Not too hard.
What citizens? Katy citizens? Missouri City citizens? They didn't vote for it.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
"...Missouri City Mayor Allen Owen, chairman of the multi-city coalition, said general mobility is a regional issue and urged the board to think about the impact on residents if general mobility funding is eliminated.

"If you take my general mobility funding away from me I will have to raise my taxes to my taxpayers 6 cents," Owen said. "That's more than I raise for (Houston Community College) for education. I don't want to go to my taxpayers and tell them that their sales tax money is going to projects in downtown Houston."

Metro hears from public on road funding - Houston Chronicle

Here's how you deal with that.

As I said in my e-mail to the city councilman, an increase in state and federal gas taxes is needed. Texas has one of the lowest gas taxes in the nation. It needs to be increased and much of the new money needs to go to local roads and streets.

Also, why can't regional taxes be raised slightly on a countywide or regional basis to also make up for the shortfall, when METRO gets its 100% of funds? Why can't Harris, Fort Bend, Brazoria, Montgomery have a dedicated 2 to 3 cent tax increase on a regional level exclusively for roads?

A three-cent increase in regional taxes + a one-cent increase in Federal gas taxes given to the states + two-cent increase in state motor fuel tax = there's your 6 cents the MO City mayor is complaining about losing.

Or do people enjoy driving over potholes in this town????
Read between the lines. The MC mayor is saying if Metro takes away general mobility funding and MC tax revenues are going solely to Houston projects, you can expect a legal/political campaign to get MC excluded from Metro's regional tax.

The state sales tax is capped at 8.25%, that's 6.25% for the state and 2% for regional interests. That's high enough. You can't just tax and tax.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM

2,051 posts, read 3,025,530 times
If metro wants to use the COH portion of the tax for Metro projects and it's citizens agree, that's what it should be used for. If the tax is collected outside of the COH, let local municipalities use it for their own projects. If Metro recieves greater than 25% of it revenue from outside the COH, then it should just shut up and accept the current arrangement. If less than 25%, citizens should be able to choose how to reallocate. It's pretty simple aside from the politics.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 PM

312 posts, read 639,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Read between the lines. The MC mayor is saying if Metro takes away general mobility funding and MC tax revenues are going solely to Houston projects, you can expect a legal/political campaign to get MC excluded from Metro's regional tax.

The state sales tax is capped at 8.25%, that's 6.25% for the state and 2% for regional interests. That's high enough. You can't just tax and tax.
1. Missouri City, or any suburb of Houston, would be making a HUGE mistake by foolishly seeking exclusion from the METRO district. And I mean penny wise and pound FOOLISH. This is the fifth largest metro area in the nation. Read between THOSE lines. There are companies that are looking at this town and saying "maybe not" to setting up shop here because of the messed-up transit situation.

2. If revenue is a problem then maybe the state legislature needs to strongly look at raising the state sales tax cap by one cent. It's NOT high enough by ANY measure, in fact I would argue that it's too low. Needs are greater than the revenue coming in, apparently. With the current funding in place for METRO, any new extensions other than what's being built now are ON HOLD for over ten years. That's too long.
Metro Board Gets Input On Whether To Keep Subsidizing City Budgets - Houston News - Hair Balls

3. I would assume the motor fuel tax is exempt from the state sales tax cap, and if it's not, boy does that need to change and NOW. Texas has one of the lowest gas taxes in America. It's not going to hurt the average Texas motorist to pitch in 2-3 cents so they can drive on a smooth street that gets fixed on a somewhat regular schedule.

4. An aside: What the **** is Congressman John Culberson thinking??? Why do Republican lawmakers in this area HATE mass transit??? That disgraced wacko, Tom DeLay, literally single-handedly almost ELIMINATED the light rail and the SEVEN MILE system had to built with local money because Tom "I'm a Crook" DeLay blocked Federal funding from the project!!!!!! AAAAAAKKKKKK!!!!
People from other parts of the nation see this utter and absolute foolishness and stupidity when looking for a town to move to, guys:
Culberson asks Congress to forbid University rail line - Houston Tomorrow

And spare me the "if you don't like it you don't have to move/live here, we like it just fine with no transit and just freeways, go back to NYC/Chicago/California" BS. That's a horrible and short-sighted cop-out that has no basis in national/global reality. Houston MUST GROW UP and accept that mass transit improves EVERYONE'S quality of life.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
If metro wants to use the COH portion of the tax for Metro projects and it's citizens agree, that's what it should be used for. If the tax is collected outside of the COH, let local municipalities use it for their own projects. If Metro recieves greater than 25% of it revenue from outside the COH, then it should just shut up and accept the current arrangement. If less than 25%, citizens should be able to choose how to reallocate. It's pretty simple aside from the politics.
What's even more simple: How about a dedicated regional tax exclusively for streets and roads in the Houston region? A dedicated funding source separate and apart from any mass transit funding? This is a situation that would acknowledge that both roads AND mass transit are critically important to the life and health of any metropolitan region - especially one that suddenly finds itself as America's fifth largest.

"The state sales tax is capped at 8.25%."

Raise it by one cent. Also consider raising the state (and Federal) gasoline taxes by a couple of cents. Let the increased revenue go only to local streets and roads.

In my opinion, THAT's also pretty simple - aside from the politics.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,763,503 times
Quote:
No, the flaw here is your inability to comprehend that the area subject to the Metro tax includes various and distinct subsets of citizens (Houston/Katy/Humble/Missouri City/etc) and you are saying that one subset of citizens should be able to decide on behalf of all subsets.

The whole reason for the revenue sharing agreement in the first place is to address the interests of ALL those subsets. Metro does not really want to have to provide services to those other areas and it was easier for them to just cut a check to them and let them use it for their own projects.
why not it was the subset of citzens who pass he original forum to begin with..Now you want to piggyback on it ? You want to stand up for katy and the rest, but you what to ignore that it was the Houston proper that begin this project , so we should be allowed to decided if want to end it.. sounds like without it ya will have to rasie taxes and thats what the real bug up their butt is about.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,763,503 times
Quote:

and it a myth that the project would go soley to Houston projects since , its this diverion of funds that have slowed down things like commmuter rails, something that is overwhelming supported by the outlined areas

Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
why not it was the subset of citzens who pass he original forum to begin with..Now you want to piggyback on it ? You want to stand up for katy and the rest, but you what to ignore that it was the Houston proper that begin this project , so we should be allowed to decided if want to end it.. sounds like without it ya will have to rasie taxes and thats what the real bug up their butt is about.
1. METRO needs to provide service to all portions of Harris County. Operative word is ALL. That includes Katy and Pasadena. And they need to do it sooner rather than later. And I'm referring to basic bus service. Not only park-and-rides.

2. METRO needs to also provide extensive regular bus service to ALL of Fort Bend County. I would like to consider living in a place like Sugar Land or Stafford, but I can't until I can hop on a bus and get to Downtown Houston or even Westchase district. It would also be nice if people in Richmond and Rosenberg can get on a METRO bus to Downtown Houston, Westchase, Energy Corridor or Texas Medical Center and back again.

3. Letting METRO have all of its sales tax revenue for transit will help accelerate improvements to the light rail as well as the bus network. I understand that it will also help METRO be better qualified for Federal funding.

4. To repeat what i have said a few times today, the streets and roads still need to be taken care of but with a dedicated separate funding source. Raise the state gasoline tax a few pennies and dedicate those new funds to local cities for roads. Also: how much in state "general fund" revenues is ALREADY being given to the cities and counties for roads??? Why isn't that enough? Why must money for bus and light rail even have to go to roads in the first place? Roads and streets are the responsibility of municipalities, NOT a transit agency.

5. If raising the gas tax still isn't enough, I think raising the cap on the state sales tax limit is in order, from 8.25 to 9.25 and possibly even up to 10%, to give individual municipalities the flexibility to raise additional funds at the local level for street and road construction, maintenance and repair (in addition to other unrelated needs of local importance). If this requires a vote of the people let's get it on the ballot.

It's not like Texas can't afford it. Do you see all the traffic on the streets and freeways in Houston alone??? Austin freeways and streets are literally parking lots during the daytime hours. That's the kind of traffic congestion that tells me this town is BOOMING. Austin is BOOMING. Houston is BOOMING. Texas is BOOMING. Texas is WAY outperforming the national economy, arguably by a fairly wide margin. Otherwise Westheimer Road, I-10, 59 would have half the traffic counts they do.

We can well afford an additional few pennies to take care of our most pressing needs.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
and it a myth that the project would go soley to Houston projects since , its this diverion of funds that have slowed down things like commmuter rails, something that is overwhelming supported by the outlined areas
How about you give some examples of METRO projects in Missouri City or Katy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston