U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,467,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That's even worse!
BTW, Houston >>>>>>Austin
Not for the things he is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM

169 posts, read 365,009 times
I've lived in both. i personally prefer San Antonio.

Being white doesnt make much of a difference. IN THE CITY - San Antonio is majority Hispanic and Houston is such a mix, white is hardly a majority. IN THE SUBURBS- north-suburban SA is about 90% white 8% hispanic, 1% african american and 1% other. very different from the diverse suburbs of Houston. PC answer is that shouldnt make a difference, but if it does

If you want nightlife/clubs/bars, pick Houston. I prefer a slower-paced country life style, which San Antonio is. Although, SA has more live music (except hip-hop). But Austin blows both out of the water.

If you want a variety of jobs to choose from, pick Houston. Much less wide spread opportunity in San Antonio. If I ever move back, this will be my biggest challenge. SA is growing faster than Houston and gaining lots of corporate offices, but they are no where near Houston.

If you want better people, pick San Antonio. People are polite and chivalrous. Goes back to the country lifestlyle. Much less urban, which leans toward ruder people like in Houston.

If you want easier commute, pick San Antonio. People drive the speed limit, safe and courteous. Hardly any daily stop and go traffic anywhere in the city. Things are more spread out, so less congestion. And NO TOLL ROADS!!!

If you want a more beautiful place, pick San Antonio. Lets face it, Houston is ugly and all flat. SA has hills, more history and in my opinion a nicer architectural style.

If you had said gay, I'd say Houston by far. Since you are straight, doesnt matter.

I vote SA has more attractive women too. But neither are bad, and both are up there on the most obese cities list every year.

It's all about preference though. I prefer the lifestyle and the people in SA more.

btw, im 27, married and a "young professional"

Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post

Being white doesnt make much of a difference. IN THE CITY - San Antonio is majority Hispanic and Houston is such a mix, white is hardly a majority. IN THE SUBURBS- north-suburban SA is about 90% white 8% hispanic, 1% african american and 1% other. very different from the diverse suburbs of Houston. PC answer is that shouldnt make a difference, but if it does

If you want nightlife/clubs/bars, pick Houston. I prefer a slower-paced country life style, which San Antonio is. Although, SA has more live music (except hip-hop). But Austin blows both out of the water.

If you want a variety of jobs to choose from, pick Houston. Much less wide spread opportunity in San Antonio. If I ever move back, this will be my biggest challenge. SA is growing faster than Houston and gaining lots of corporate offices, but they are no where near Houston.

If you want better people, pick San Antonio. People are polite and chivalrous. Goes back to the country lifestlyle. Much less urban, which leans toward ruder people like in Houston.

If you want easier commute, pick San Antonio. People drive the speed limit, safe and courteous. Hardly any daily stop and go traffic anywhere in the city. Things are more spread out, so less congestion. And NO TOLL ROADS!!!

If you want a more beautiful place, pick San Antonio. Lets face it, Houston is ugly and all flat. SA has hills, more history and in my opinion a nicer architectural style.

If you had said gay, I'd say Houston by far. Since you are straight, doesnt matter.

I vote SA has more attractive women too. But neither are bad, and both are up there on the most obese cities list every year.

It's all about preference though. I prefer the lifestyle and the people in SA more.

I pretty much agreed with your post until the bolded.

"Better people"? People are people everywhere, and no one place has residents that could be universally described as all around better. San Antonio is definitely slower, but I don't remember the folks being any more genuinely nice than Houstonians.

I remember the drivers in SA as slow and quite careless. Just my perspective as a recurring visitor.

As far as natural beauty is concerned, Houston may be flat and SA may be hilly, but the former is far more lush and forested. I personally would not trade our trees for their scrubs and short oaks. SA does have much more beautiful historic architecture, but that whole Spanish motif isn't really my thing.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:18 PM

169 posts, read 365,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"Better people"? People are people everywhere, and no one place has residents that could be universally described as all around better. San Antonio is definitely slower, but I don't remember the folks being any more genuinely nice than Houstonians.
ok maybe "better people" wasnt the right term. maybe "more polite people" or "nicer people" would have been better. and yes, residents can be universally described as both, as often used when describing places like New York City.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
ok maybe "better people" wasnt the right term. maybe "more polite people" or "nicer people" would have been better. and yes, residents can be universally described as both, as often used when describing places like New York City.
For it to be universal, it would have to be agreed upon by everyone, and it isn't. Again, it isn't my opinion that the people of San Antonio were necessarily genuinely nicer than Houstonians.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,131,817 times
Quote:

Man, I know everbody has a right to there own opinion but all of Houston is ugly to you? I mean All of it? Dang,you would even pick SA skyline over Houstons? Its some ugly bland parts in SA as well. But to each his own.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,665,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke3079 View Post
I realize this has been covered in other threads, but I'd love to hear some opinions, especially in regards to my situation.

I'm 27, single, straight, and white (if all that's relevant). My new job will be covering both the Houston and SA territory, and I can choose to live in either.
Which is best for a young professional? Ideally somewhere with lots of other young professionals, activities, night life, concerts, attractive women, etc

Any neighborhood suggestions would be great too.
Thanks for the words of wisdom!
Houston, hands down.

I find SA to be ugly and dirty for the most part.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 PM

^ That's not really fair. There are plenty of clean and attractive areas of San Antonio.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM

443 posts, read 1,153,089 times
I'm in San Antonio weekly for work now (in the Eagle Ford Shale) and while there are some nice areas on the far north side of San Antonio as you get into the Hill Country and a small pocket near the inner core in the King William and Alamo Heights areas most of San Antonio is a Mexican ghetto. The widespread extreme poverty and, for lack of a better word, shacks that people live in starting along I-10 east at Loop 1604 ALL the way to the western side of Loop 1604 along Highway 90 is comprised of Fiesta grocery stores, ramshackle housing, gang graffiti and bars on every window and even around Window A/C units! Downtown San Antonio has the River Walk which has become more dangerous (saw one huge "gang" fight at 9pm on a Friday two weeks ago) since 15 years ago but is still a tourist attraction.

Yes, I'm aware that Houston has impoverished areas too, however compared to the overall size of Houston, its percentage of ramshackle housing and poverty appears to be much less than San Antonio.

The only appeal I think San Antonio has over Houston is quicker access to the Hill Country...that's it. And, I can still be in New Braunsfels and points west in the Hill Country in less than 3 hours from Houston. Houston is an infinitely more professional and livable city, IMO, than San Antonio.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 AM

193 posts, read 284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
I'm in San Antonio weekly for work now (in the Eagle Ford Shale) and while there are some nice areas on the far north side of San Antonio as you get into the Hill Country and a small pocket near the inner core in the King William and Alamo Heights areas most of San Antonio is a Mexican ghetto. The widespread extreme poverty and, for lack of a better word, shacks that people live in starting along I-10 east at Loop 1604 ALL the way to the western side of Loop 1604 along Highway 90 is comprised of Fiesta grocery stores, ramshackle housing, gang graffiti and bars on every window and even around Window A/C units! Downtown San Antonio has the River Walk which has become more dangerous (saw one huge "gang" fight at 9pm on a Friday two weeks ago) since 15 years ago but is still a tourist attraction.

Yes, I'm aware that Houston has impoverished areas too, however compared to the overall size of Houston, its percentage of ramshackle housing and poverty appears to be much less than San Antonio.

The only appeal I think San Antonio has over Houston is quicker access to the Hill Country...that's it. And, I can still be in New Braunsfels and points west in the Hill Country in less than 3 hours from Houston. Houston is an infinitely more professional and livable city, IMO, than San Antonio.

You're basing this on "ramshackle" housing? San Antonio is much much older than Houston. Lots of old houses... It's just the way it is. Even in those nice pockets you mention there are some run down shacks. East side of San Antonio is not a Mexican ghetto. Seriously?

The city has a shortage of McMansions, which is a great thing.

Extreme poverty is a misnomer, there are a lot of low paying jobs there but people work. That city has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

In Houston, you're many more times likely to get robbed or shot. In SA on average people are not as desperate, they drive slower and seem calm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston