Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,259,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtomt2day View Post
We are gay so that could be the problem...
Gay? So you are happy? Why would being happy be a problem? That word sure lost it's original meaning.

Anyway, back on topic... I am beginning to think that your neighbor has a friend who works for the police department that he/she called. I have friends who are police seargents, neither of them know of any circumstance where their resources would be called for something so petty when there are rapes, murders and other real crimes going on.

I was rear-ended (no pun intended!) two weeks ago on the West Loop by the Galleria, that was more critical, I think, than someone parking on the street, and no officer would show up, not even the ones that passed by. I had to get a Truck Enforcement officer to handle the case and create a report. I just can't imagine a police department would send someone out just to tell one not to park on the street. As Judge Judy says, 'if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true'!

So, it looks like your neighbor has got some issues. If your deed restrictions do say you can't stay parked for more than 24 hours, then I would continue to park in the street if you need to since you will have moved your car the next day anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,943,898 times
Quote:
1. The deed restrictions to not expressly forbid parking on the street.

2. The deed restrictions do forbid "being a nuisance" to your neighbors, which I think they have defined in a number of ways including parking on the street.

3. Like I said, on my street alone, there are four cars regularly parked on the street. That has been true for the last four months as we have visited the neighborhood and house and got the house prepared..etc. Why were we targeted this way?

4. I am not sure I want to have a face to face talk with my neighbor. Just 10 minutes before the cops came to our house my partner was outside. She waved at the neighbor who turned up her nose and went inside without saying a word. Then the cops showed up. This lady has gone to an extreme length, I feel, to say to us "WE ARE ENEMIES!" For that reason, I don't want to have any conversations with her.
You keep saying partner...they might be discriminating.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,655,534 times
Lol. HOA nazis. Overfunded, bored, whiny tightwads. Love livin in the city.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 PM

23,946 posts, read 15,052,675 times
Is the community gated? Who owns the street? Was it a law enforcement officer or a security guard.

There is no law prohibiting parking licensed cars on a public street. If the inspection sticker and license are expired, the car can be declared abandoned. Then the cops can have it towed.

From now on, document the other cars parked on the street. If it was a real cop, I'd go to the station and ask to see the code that permitted him to knock on your door and tell you to move your car and not the others car. Or did he tell them, too and they ignored him.

Noxious behavior is in the eye of the beholder. Wilber the pig put a stop to some of these out of control HOA's that give the rest a bad name.

If the neighbor is on the HOA board and willfully violates HOA rules, they can be personally held responsible. The E&O will not cover them.

A resident of my subdivision parked 2 cars on the cul de sac in front of the HOA president's house. She tried to get them moved and/or removed for months and could not until the registration expired. Our deed restrictions say don't park on the street overnight.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM

103 posts, read 136,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Lol. HOA nazis. Overfunded, bored, whiny tightwads. Love livin in the city.
Uh...HPD was called out on them.

Bash fail.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM

103 posts, read 181,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
From now on, document the other cars parked on the street. If it was a real cop, I'd go to the station and ask to see the code that permitted him to knock on your door and tell you to move your car and not the others car. Or did he tell them, too and they ignored him.

If the neighbor is on the HOA board and willfully violates HOA rules, they can be personally held responsible. The E&O will not cover them.
What you just said is my big question. What is the policy of the HOA when someone is found "violating the rules"? If the first step for EVERYONE is for them to call the police, fine.

If that is not the policy I am trying to figure out what I should do. I am not a litigious person but I'm considering getting an attorney just in case this is discrimination and is the opening salvo in a war I don't want.

Also, I like to fight fire with fire. In my mind if they really just wanted the car moved they could have written a letter. Sending the cops was sending a message. I am trying to figure out if I want to spend the time, effort and money to send a stronger one back: mess with me and I'll sue the pants off of you.

BTW, the is a non-gated city of Houston neighborhood and yes, it was a Houston Police Officer who wasted his time like this.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:41 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,133,767 times
Quote:
1. The deed restrictions to not expressly forbid parking on the street.

2. The deed restrictions do forbid "being a nuisance" to your neighbors, which I think they have defined in a number of ways including parking on the street.

3. Like I said, on my street alone, there are four cars regularly parked on the street. That has been true for the last four months as we have visited the neighborhood and house and got the house prepared..etc. Why were we targeted this way?

4. I am not sure I want to have a face to face talk with my neighbor. Just 10 minutes before the cops came to our house my partner was outside. She waved at the neighbor who turned up her nose and went inside without saying a word. Then the cops showed up. This lady has gone to an extreme length, I feel, to say to us "WE ARE ENEMIES!" For that reason, I don't want to have any conversations with her.
Sounds like your neighbor is breaking rule #2 IMO. HOAs don't call the police as a first warning. They send letters. At least mine does. And certified ones at that. That tell me I need to weed my front flower bed. Really?!?! Spending my HOA dues to send me certified letters that tell me I need to weed and mow my grass in January? Sorry, got on a tanget there. Perhaps your neighbor called herself, not the HOA. Anyway, it was a dumb move on the part of the cop to even answer such a call.

Seriously, it sounds like the neighbor has the issue and you're getting the brunt of it. I would document everything that has been happening.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,803,384 times
If it were me, I'd go next door and introduce myself. Then let them know that if they ever have any issues to let you know because everyone wants to have good neighbors.

You sound like a reasonable person and your neighbor sounds like Mrs. Kravitz. It's not worth the stress.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,566,142 times
I remember about 2 yrs ago in my neighborhood there a was green truck parked in someones 2 lane drive for a good period of time without moving. This drive is not a long driveway maybe 40ft and the green truck it parked right up to the garage and the city slaps a pink sticker on it why it is on private property off the street I just do not get this??

Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,006 times
I can't even get the HOA or the Sheriff to patrol the neighborhood and do anything to stop the people going 50 down our residential street, and tokyo drifting around corners while people's children play nearby.

But if I leave a bag of yard clippings on the curb two days before garbage day, I'll have a nasty letter in my mailbox before the garbage men come. I know, I'm a real jerk ain't I?

Meanwhile the people two doors down have a bent and broken basketball goal sitting in the overgrown weed-stricken grass beside their driveway for 6 months, sand spilling out and looking like crap.

"HOA nazis" isn't a strong enough phrase for these impotent goose-stepping authoritarian douche-nozzles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: